Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
old person

Health / armour bonuses

I believe they did on the Sega 32X port.

Armor is going to protect you, no matter if you have 100% or 1%, making them "cost efficient" over potions. Also, if you're wearing blue armor, and your amount drops lower than 100%, collecting those health potions starts seeming like it's more worth it.

Health potions, in my opinion are for times of desperation: during an onslaught of survival, or before/after a difficult battle.

Personally, I think they're fine as is, but I think it would have been nice if the Id guys would have had some sort of 5, 10, or 25% bonus pickups...

If you're mapping you can always place twice as much... I quite like them dotted about aesthetically. If they're scarce though, they are kind of pointless. They're negligible if you have plenty of health or armour and not enough if you don't.

purist said:

If you're mapping you can always place twice as much... I quite like them dotted about aesthetically. If they're scarce though, they are kind of pointless. They're negligible if you have plenty of health or armour and not enough if you don't.

This. They are really useful for aesthetics.

Think of them as treasure - nice from a material standpoint, look good and gives the player stuff to collect, but ultimately of little practical value (unless there's enough of them, of course)

Personally I get as many of them as I can unless they're placed in a way where it would be aggravating\tedious to do so. In DM, I'll try to move in a way which maximizes pickup efficiency without compromising safety. You'd be surprised how often having 101 health instead of 100 ends up saving your ass.

I think they are useful from a mapper's perspective. They give you a way to insert health pick-ups that can add up to exact values instead of the arbitrary values their larger counterparts carry. What if you want the player to have exactly 30 health available in a room but not 10, 25, or 100? Health potions! (Also you're probably being pedantic).

Well, health potions grant you health above 100% where as medikits don't. That's always struck me as the logic behind them... of course you have to make sure you pick them up after fully healing with medikits. And armor bonuses grant armor above 100%. It actually makes a lot of sense, as far as I'm concerned.

A health pickup that adds 2% or 3% would just be different colors, or a bigger potion, or a different item altogether, I suppose.

lupinx-Kassman said:

I think they are useful from a mapper's perspective. They give you a way to insert health pick-ups that can add up to exact values instead of the arbitrary values their larger counterparts carry. What if you want the player to have exactly 30 health available in a room but not 10, 25, or 100? Health potions! (Also you're probably being pedantic).

Three stimpacks? :p

Yeah, but what if we want players to have 130% health, essel?!

Didn't think of that, did ya!?

I've been using Health and Armor bonuses to add difficulty to UV-Max demo's of my maps, requiring the player to have to find secrets and travel to unusual places of my maps in order to get 100% items but little rewards that benefit for the rest of the map.

Danarchy said:

Doesn't Skulltag have 2% health and armor bonuses?

No, they're 1% but they increase the maximum as well (so if you pick up one Skulltag health bonus, your max health raises to 101% and that's how much stimpacks and medikits can heal you). The maximum is 50, so if you're fully maxed out a megasphere will give you 250% health, 250% armor.

EarthQuake said:

Armor is going to protect you, no matter if you have 100% or 1%, making them "cost efficient" over potions.

Nope. If you receive 20 damage while wearing 100 Security Armor, you'll lose 14 health. If you receive the same while you have 1 armor point, you'll lose 19.

Gez said:

No, they're 1% but they increase the maximum as well (so if you pick up one Skulltag health bonus, your max health raises to 101% and that's how much stimpacks and medikits can heal you). The maximum is 50, so if you're fully maxed out a megasphere will give you 250% health, 250% armor.

Oh yeah, that's right. It's been forever since I played Skulltag.

Yeah, I like having the health and armor bonuses at 2%. I also try to have 100 health and armor before picking them up. It feels kinda nice grabbing a bunch of them and seeing your health or armor boosted up by a chunk instead of a sliver.

I always called the health bonuses Soul Potions since they are the 8 oz cans to the Soul Sphere's 55-gallon drum.

For my mod Xodus, the bonuses will be at 2%. Trying to balance it out since the monsters are a bit more unforgiving. Also, the Blue Armor (now Yellow) only goes to 150% (Red Armor going to 200% with a greater deal of damage absorption). Only experimenting with all this, though.

Jimi said:

I usually stack them and give some 4, 5 or 10 in one stack.

Yes but then they will briefly blind you.

printz said:

Yes but then they will briefly blind you.

Well, that is doomguy's fault for chugging so many vials of a mysterious blue liquid in such little time.

esselfortium said:

Three stimpacks? :p

I hope you die in a fire.

Generous groups of health/armor bonuses are helpful, and separate bonuses are mostly useless, but in some cases even a single potion can save your life. For example, when you have to cross an unavoidable -5 damaging sector before exiting the level, you'll be dead if doing it with 5% health and zero armor. But if there's at least one health bonus on your way, you have won.

Gez said:

No, they're 1% but they increase the maximum as well (so if you pick up one Skulltag health bonus, your max health raises to 101% and that's how much stimpacks and medikits can heal you).

That's a huge gameplay change. In no time, the player would become a 150 hitpoint anomaly.

printz said:

That's a huge gameplay change. In no time, the player would become a 150 hitpoint anomaly.

Not really, because it's a new item type usable in Skulltag maps. It doesn't modify or replace the original pickups.

printz said:

That's a huge gameplay change.

What do you mean? Yeah, it alters gameplay when used in a map, but it's not that huge -- certainly less than the runes, the new weapons, or the new powerups.

Note that we're not talking about the standard BON1A0/BON2A0 health and armor bonus, here. This was a digression on the new ST bonuses. The red vials and the blue helmets.