Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Doom's Octodecennial

what? no mockaward :(
well, congratulations to all winners, especially to Sergeant Mark IV and Skillsaw

PS: holy shit, the screenshot from mordeth award hurt my eyes

Happy 18th! :-)

And since I haven't been keeping up, it's great to get a concise list of quality projects released this year. Given that I'm a sucker for old-school maps, I think Reverie looks very promising.

Congratulations to the designers that won digital demons, and the couple of guys that squeezed in in the last few weeks for some clutch steals. And thanks to everyone who made stuff that didn't get a mention.

P.S. Xaser, finish Psychic

The reviews were pretty short this year compared to the previous. Still good effort, and congratulations to khorus for finally getting a Cacoward. Ironic that it ended up being for the project he spent the least ammount of time on.

Happy birthday to doom,
happy birthday to doom,
happy birthday Mr President,
happy birthday to you!

Hip hip hooray!

Congrats to all winners; good to see all the 'basic necessities' awarded, and not to mention, congrats to Skillsaw, ya ingenious bastard! :P

Indeed, I was a bit surprised by how brief all of the "awards speeches" were (well, the ones not written by Essel anyway :P ), but they did all do the job well, so perhaps succinct would be the word. I also have to say that 32in24-11's American Gladiator was definitely not fun :P (although funny, perhaps)

The only award I'd sort of disagree with is the Vaporware demo, because I know full well the final release will get a cacoward and I suspect there were projects out there more worthy than this one spcatacular showcase for the Eternity Engine. It really has been a good year for mapsets though, so the competition has been pretty incredible.

Congratulations to all the winners (a tiny bit of self-congratulation there, for about... 8% of a collective cacoward? :P ) and extra special congratulations to skillsaw for being this years' best mapper, with a very honourable mention to valkiriforce for giving him a strong run for his money!

Thanks to the team for this year's article, it was a good read :)

Also: wot, no mapping challenge? :(

Happy Birthday doom, another year already?

Great work on the cacowards, congratulations to skillsaw on mapper of the year

A nice read if a bit briefer than usual, congratulations to all the winners.

Phobus said:

(a tiny bit of self-congratulation there, for about... 8% of a collective cacoward? :P )

Same here, no idea what my percentage would be. ;-)

Also: wot, no mapping challenge? :(

How about a one map distillation of what you think Mordeth will look like when complete?

Happy 18th Birthday, Doom.

Here's to another 5... nah, make that 10. Or 20! :P

Concidences?—Hm. Doom's day, it also gets 18, and there is also that lunar super thing today. Now I'm just waiting for the demons to appear.

Cloud cover's obscured the lunar eclipse. :( I'll try not to trip over any demons while heading for bed.

GreyGhost said:

How about a one map distillation of what you think Mordeth will look like when complete?

Now that would be quite the challenge. Using the Eternity Engine (which I believe Mordeth is), what would a paradox look like... ;)

I was gonna be dissappointed to see a cacowards edition with none of releases in it (to remind me that I didn't release anything) but at least I got to make MAP01 and a few other maps of the award winning 32in24-11 :)

Congratulation's skillsaw on mapper of the year, I fucking loved vanguard, i played and replayed that wad on several occasions.

It's a shame to see not only has the mockaward been replaced, but also the worst wad award too. Does anyone think the best gameplay mod needs a new trophy? like an edited cacodemon sprite, or one of Eriance's cacodemon-shaped beastiary monsters?

Happy 18th!

Just got done reading through the awards, and I'll be "celebrating" after work. I wasn't too surprised at most of the outcomes... it was fairly obvious which wads were deserving of a cacoward, but Icebound slipped right past me, and now I'm interested in playing it. Hope it doesn't sound bad that I want to play a Heretic wad on Doom's birthday. :D

Anyways, here's looking towards many more years of Doom. *raises glass*

Thanks everyone. I don't really have the words to explain how excited and grateful I am about how well my projects has been received this year. I put a ton of work into Vanguard and Lunatic but without community feedback they would never have turned out as well as they did.

I'm even more stoked about being recognized for Mapper of the Year honors. I certainly wasn't the only deserving candidate and knowing that makes being singled out at the expense of recognition for others somewhat bittersweet, but in the end it just means that a lot of quality maps were created by a lot of quality mappers this year. So thank you again, Doomworld.

Lastly I just want to point out that left to my own devices I would never have become much of a mapper. A lot of the elements of my style are derived from the works of others and refined into my own taste. So I feel the need to thank the mappers that have been big influences on my style, either through direct communication or distant inspiration - Erik Alm, Vader, esselfortium, AgentSpork, and Tormentor667, among many others. Thanks for showing me how it's done.

And congratulations to all the winners.

(Finally, I am a little sad that Lunatic's best feature didn't get mentioned in the write-up. I'm talking about it's storyline, of course.)

Thank you to Doomworld for the honor of winning my first single player Cacoward! I really could not have done it without RottKing. I believe we broke new ground with the mapping method we used in Double Impact (hard to believe in 2011) and I'd love to see some other projects try something similar in the future. I had a lot of fun making it.

As far as the multiplayer award goes, I agree that 32in24-11 was the winner this year in terms of magnitude and general quality (except the stupid berserker fist map which is horrible). However, I'd like to give a mention to two other wads that came out this year that have received various levels of play in the multiplayer communities. The first is Chaindude's Smart CTF, a 6-map CTF pack. Although the style of the maps are certainly not my own personal cup of tea, there are a good deal of people in the competitive CTF circuit that really enjoyed these maps. My other mention goes out to Dr Sean's Staph1, another 6-map set of maps designed for vanilla duel and deathmatch. I had many hours of fun on Staph throughout 2011 and would recommend it to anybody looking for a game on Odamex.

EDIT: Also, even though I was involved with this project (contributed a map), Nautilus's Chill 3 was a pretty great 9-map vanilla deathmatch (designed for duel) wad. Big ups to all three of these sets

Thanks to Hobbs, Bloodshedder, and Doomworld for hosting another Cacowards, to RottKing for helping me snag another award, and of course, happy 18th birthday to Doom!

How about a big "Thank You" to Hobbs for Carrying the Cacowards Mantle. Without his work there would have been nothing for Graf to complain about this year ;) It's easy to say what you would have done different, but the reality is... only Hobbs put in the work to make sure we had this fun tradition continued at Doomworld. Congratulations to all the winners, Skillsaw as our mapper of the year, and Hobbs for putting together this ceremony... now you can start the Cacowards 2012 thread and prepare for next year's awards that we will all bitch about.

40oz said:

Does anyone think the best gameplay mod needs a new trophy? like an edited cacodemon sprite, or one of Eriance's cacodemon-shaped beastiary monsters?

Count the eyes ;) (I drew this image 7 years ago... but it was never used... maybe a new award image is due)

Scuba Steve said:

And can I just say, I fucking love Brutal Doom.

Pretty much everyone does, definitely the most popular doom wad this year if nothing else :P

kristus said:

The reviews were pretty short this year compared to the previous. Still good effort, and congratulations to khorus for finally getting a Cacoward. Ironic that it ended up being for the project he spent the least ammount of time on.

So I intended a while ago to recruit some peeps into getting the awards done and all, much like the last two years. But I've been really busy these past couple of weeks and I never got a chance, and so about four days ago when I realized nothing had been done I figured it was too late to start asking random folks, and buckled down to do them all myself. And I couldn't get myself to write twelve huge stories. :P

I've already talked to someone and this wont happen again next year.

As I've said elsewhere, 'twas a fun read. :)

I smiled when I saw Khorus' megawad get an award, the fact that he was able to make a megawad so fast and just slip right into the awards is both kind of funny and awesome at the same time. I'm quite satisfied with all the mentions that went into this year, and congratulations to skillsaw for winning mapper of the year. :)

Great stuff there, and deserved winners, each Cacoward, really! And I fully agree with skillsaw being the mapper of the year 2011. His work is tremendous, I loved Vanguard and I was already very amazed by the stuff he has produced for ZPack and especially Stronghold.

Congratulations to all the winners, I am looking forward to another year of Doom and releases :)

Linguica said:

When Doomworld was founded, I wasn't even 18 years old, and now Doom is. Ugh

Sup Ling

You old man. Lol