Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Doom's Octodecennial

Gez said:

No "The Sky May Be" for poor old crazy Jive?

What's the connection between Jive and The Sky May Be?

fraggle said:

Like, heaven and stuff man

fraggle said:

I don't think Gez is talking about the wad, but rather a mention in the side bar on the Cacoaward page like how Espi got one.

My bad for sure. Scuba and I talked about whether or not any doomers had gone fragging in the sky this year and we, uh, didn't realize. Sorry Jive =[

As for the totally controversial vaporware demo getting an award, there are two reasons it happened. Firstly, in the year of the megawad, I thought a single map project deserved some notice (and I didn't find many that were noticeable) and second, I have been under the impression for some time that the Vaporware name is possibly/probably accurate. Also, getting EE some attention and eyeballs was nice.

And if ten other worthy wads come around next year along with Vaporware, I can always just sidebar it with a title like "Lil' Demo Grew Up" or whatever.

Scuba Steve said:

How about a big "Thank You" to Hobbs for Carrying the Cacowards Mantle.

Fuck that guy, he's a lazy bastard. Ahem, I mean, thanks Scuba. And on that note a huge thanks to Bloodshedder for doing the editing for the awards, I can't write so good and he made it all better. Also, thanks to Scuba for doing the artwork for this years awards too.

After having a dip through Dark Forces, I'm going to play Vaporware Demo and compare.

EDIT: Sigh, no mockaward, no male cacodemon award...

Typical Cacowards crowd pleasing - a showcase of popularity.

Ralphis said:

I believe we broke new ground with the mapping method we used

Um, no. That ground has been broken before.

TimeOfDeath said:

Um, no. That ground has been broken before.

cool, where? I'd like to play them. Also you don't have to be such a dog dick you bitch boy piece of shit. Just sayin!

John Smith said:

Check the nominations thread. 9/10 wads come straight from there and with multiple nominations. Call of the Apostate is the only thing sort of popular in that thread that didn't get an award and tbh it's because I was constantly bored to death by it no matter how much I tried to like it.

So if you don't like how these Cacowards went, post shit in the nomination thread next year :P

Well, if you read my post carefully, the reason I didn't nominate anything was that I didn't find anything worth nominating.

The cacowards just reflect a rather weak year of maps, if you ask me.

Let's hope for a few more ambitious projects next year then. They were sorely missing this time, if you discount the Vaporware *demo*.

I think this quote from the cacowards page perfectly sums it up:

I can only imagine how much hell I'm going to catch for having only one (G)ZDoom wad that wins a regular cacoward this year, but that's because I haven't seen anything awardable in this year's crop of wads.

Interesting Cacowards this year. They feel quite different to previous years. (Not better or worse, just different.)

For a variety of reasons I haven't been able to play as much Doom as usual this year so I look forward to being able to sit down and play the ones from this list that I hadn't even realised were out (when I eventually get the time). Hell, I hadn't really even realised that it was the 10th already. :/

Congrats to all winners. :)

TimeOfDeath said:

??? Obviously you think differently, but I'm really not sure how you could argue that any of the wads featured here didn't deserve awards. Their quality is pretty easy to see, but hey it's inevitable there are going to be people who think they know better :P Congrats to all the winners, happy Doomsday!

Happy Birthday, game that:

1. I played on 3do
2. Found on PC
3. I played on PC till my fingers were sore from carpal-tunnel.
4. Decided to make a branch off from.

Still the greatest FPS after almost 20 years. That's something NO other game can accomplish, I'd bet money on it.

John Smith said:

Call of the Apostate is the only thing sort of popular in that thread that didn't get an award and tbh it's because I was constantly bored to death by it no matter how much I tried to like it.

Was there anything specific about the wad that bored you, or was it just an overall feeling? I'm only asking because I'd like to improve as a mapper, and feedback like that is really helpful.

Hobbs said:

Doom is 18 years old. I guess it's significant, because if Doom were a person it could vote, smoke, and drink in some countries.

You forgot: "buy itself" :-)

Ralphis said:

cool, where? I'd like to play them. Also you don't have to be such a dog dick you bitch boy piece of shit. Just sayin!

Hell's Eventide was sort of the same concept, but with three people instead of two. It was also a much smaller-scale project. There may be others, but that's the only one I've played!

Also, <3 DI

Happy Birthday Doom!

Now thee is another year older; been attending these little award e-ceremonies since 2007.

The only thing I found a bit disappointing this year, was the lack of fanfare and how small the write-ups were this year compared to how grandiose and humour filled they have been in past years.

Aside from that, good stuff. :D

TimeOfDeath said:

and what exactly did you have in mind otherwise? this isn't pop music culture where popularity = heaviest usage of auto-tune shit.

Happy 18th Birthday Doom!

Sad that I can't view the Cacowards on either IE7 nor Chrome :/

BloodyAcid said:

I'm on Chrome right now and I was able to view them fine, I dunno.

BloodyAcid said:

I can't view it on IE7, firefox, or chrome. What the hell?