Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Doom's Octodecennial

Ralphis said:

cool, where? I'd like to play them.

Adding to kmxexii's example, exquisite corpse, a map by karthik and brad spencer, zdcmp (?), a rocket jumping map by Morrison and me, and probably many others over the years. Come on, man. :P

Ralphis said:

Also you don't have to be such a dog dick you bitch boy piece of shit. Just sayin!

But it's an annual tradition. :)

Congrats to all the award winners, especially Skillsaw... he really deserves to be mapper of the year!

Congrats to all of the winners!

I was disappointed that the worst wad category was removed. I always found it to be the most entertaining part of the awards and I don't remember reading a lot of posts asking for it's removal.

Processingcontrol said:

Congrats to all of the winners!

I was disappointed that the worst wad category was removed. I always found it to be the most entertaining part of the awards and I don't remember reading a lot of posts asking for it's removal.

Yeah I know what you mean. This year's could of been more entertaining if they had kept that category around. When it comes to the Mockaward I can kinda of understand why because the jokewads have died off.

The worst wad award, in my view, probably did more damage to /idgames than the amusement it would generate. It's as if, since its inception, people have made it a point to upload shit because of the recognition it can receive.

Snakes said:

The worst wad award, in my view, probably did more damage to /idgames than the amusement it would generate. It's as if, since its inception, people have made it a point to upload shit because of the recognition it can receive.

This was pretty much the rationale behind getting rid of it. It's not uncommon that every year there is something that goes above and beyond the normal levels of being shitty, but giving out an award for such a thing just gives incentive for the shit to keep flowing. And I don't think anyone wants that.

Trust me, there will be no shortage of shitty wads despite the demise of the Worst Wad award. Besides, I always gave it to grandiose "shit" not just any old shit.

Got it ;)

anybrowser.com

Awesome awards guys and congratulations all around :D

Happy birthday, Doom! Congrats to all winners.

I will miss the Worst Wad Award. I always laugh a lot with the reviews, and few /idgames reviews are funny as the Worst Wad review was. I don't think that this award increases the chances of people making bad wads just in sake of begin bad (Exept Doomguy's Warzone).

Now, I want to drop a special thanks to everyone who supported Brutal Doom in any way, reporting bugs, helping me with sprites, recording videos, giving suggestions, or any other way possible. Thanks everyone. I wouldn't be able to make this possible just by myself.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I will miss the Worst Wad Award. I always laugh a lot with the reviews, and few /idgames reviews are funny as the Worst Wad review was.

hell yeah

TimeOfDeath said:

Um, no. That ground has been broken before.

32in24 had NOT been done before. The best of the idea was an "assembly line" process, in which one person did the layouts, the others did the detail, in little under a week. the results are astounding. 32 maps in 24 hours. that's what it means. it's a special specialized speedmapping process that seems to knock out a winner with each release.

Csonicgo said:

32in24 had NOT been done before. The best of the idea was an "assembly line" process, in which one person did the layouts, the others did the detail, in little under a week. the results are astounding. 32 maps in 24 hours. that's what it means. it's a special specialized speedmapping process that seems to knock out a winner with each release.

Well, it's true that 32in24 hadn't been done before, but I'm pretty sure Ralph and ToD are talking about Double Impact.

Also, 32in24-11's solo mapping with x-treme gameplay testing actually yielded much better results than the assembly line process of 5/Diet/7/GW2.

Yeah, I will say that in regards to 32in24's process this time around, the better results were directly a consequence of better, more thorough playtesting than the previous iterations. And everyone who made a map was very keen to follow through on the feedback given to them. It was a very good relation between playtester and mapper which has honestly been lacking in a lot of multiplayer releases throughout the history of Doom.

All I can say is, expect to see this technique used again. To great effect. Doom multiplayer isn't dead, it just smells funny.

esselfortium said:

Well, it's true that 32in24 hadn't been done before, but I'm pretty sure Ralph and ToD are talking about Double Impact.

Also, 32in24-11's solo mapping with x-treme gameplay testing actually yielded much better results than the assembly line process of 5/Diet/7/GW2.

ToD just wanted to start pointless piffle? typical.

yes, please, more 32in24 :3

Cacowards are kinda boring because they are so predictable. The /newstuff Chronicles > Cacowards. Still, thanks for writing this, Hobbs, and happy birthday Doom!

Those of you who are whining about the lack of "Worst Wad Award", make your own award system!!!!!!!11 Yeah, let's see YOU do better!

printz said:

make your own award system!!!!!!!11 Yeah, let's see YOU do better!

You know what? I will.

The Brandon D. Lade Award goes to Reverie. Reverie is a very solid mapset with a great soundtrack; but it is first and foremost the the wad that has been the most pimped and hyped by our inimitable MegaDoomer. With only five posts by him not mentioning it this year, Reverie is indubitably the most Brandonized wad of the new decade!

The My God I Want To Delete This Crap But I Can't Even Bear To Open The Page To Do So Award goes to Doomguy's Warzone ZDoom wiki page. One of these vanity articles created to promote crappy wads on a wiki which is supposed to list genuinely noteworthy projects, it competed with Classic Rivalry (née POSSEST in obnoxious all-caps) for the coveted title of edits that made me cringe the most when looking at the Recent Changes page.

The Needs More Detail Award goes to The Phobos Directive for its masterful use of Doom Alpha-style architecture with gratuitous overcomplicated 3D structures plopped in the middle, combined with a stubborn refusal to align textures or use them in a meaningful way (door tracks used as supports, CRTs curved outwards, and so on). This alone would not have been sufficient to earn the trophy if it hadn't resulted in a cross-forum flamefest involving at least four thread and resulting in at least one ban.

Gez said:

You know what? I will.

The Brandon D. Lade Award goes to Reverie. Reverie is a very solid mapset with a great soundtrack; but it is first and foremost the the wad that has been the most pimped and hyped by our inimitable MegaDoomer. With only five posts by him not mentioning it this year, Reverie is indubitably the most Brandonized wad of the new decade!

The My God I Want To Delete This Crap But I Can't Even Bear To Open The Page To Do So Award goes to Doomguy's Warzone ZDoom wiki page. One of these vanity articles created to promote crappy wads on a wiki which is supposed to list genuinely noteworthy projects, it competed with Classic Rivalry (née POSSEST in obnoxious all-caps) for the coveted title of edits that made me cringe the most when looking at the Recent Changes page.

The Needs More Detail Award goes to The Phobos Directive for its masterful use of Doom Alpha-style architecture with gratuitous overcomplicated 3D structures plopped in the middle, combined with a stubborn refusal to align textures or use them in a meaningful way (door tracks used as supports, CRTs curved outwards, and so on). This alone would not have been sufficient to earn the trophy if it hadn't resulted in a cross-forum flamefest involving at least four thread and resulting in at least one ban.

Hah, cool, but I might have created a little monster, considering people's willingness to be notorious no matter how (see one of these examples).

Csonicgo said:

ToD just wanted to start pointless piffle? typical.

I wanted to call out Ralphy cuz it sounded like he thinks they invented the idea of coop mapping (in the double impact txt file and the cacoward acceptance speech).

Btw, I think the cacoward wads are obviously cool, and I hope people keep mapping & playing forever.

This is my /idgames comment for double impact:

Cool layouts, but vast majority of gameplay is shotgun/chaingun (not as fun as the power weapons and ssg, imo). No bfg in any maps. Barely any barons. Cybers and Spiderdemons only in last map. I know this is E1 replacement, but I'm "taking this episode ON ITS OWN MERITS". I still rated 5 though, so shut up.

The earliest collab maps that I know of have existed since Memento Mori 2 with Matthias Worch's collab with Thomas Moeller, I think Tim Willits also might have done one much earlier than that with his sister.

Although what counts is that collab maps rule, and so does Double Impact, and I like seeing people do collab maps as they usually end up with interesting results. :)

And that worst wad award didn't do anything, although they found an interesting use for it last year, it is a counter productive award.

Doom's earliest collab maps are from when Sandy was hired to finish Tom's job, guys.