Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

How to run WADs under GZDoom without drag & drop?

I use GZDoom to run WADs for 3 years at least. I always start the WADs with clicking the .WAD file in the directory and then I drag them and drop to the gzdoom.exe file.

However, my collection of WADs became enormous, and I have to scroll a lot. I hate it, I don't want to continue that permanent drag&drop sh*t.

What else can I do to start the WADs without scrolling and dragging?

Gez said:

There's a ton of methods listed here. I use "Send to" myself.

Nice list. I've never believed that any similar list exists.

Ah ? They're not listing my method : editing the zdoom-(user).ini file.

I just edit the *.Autoload parameters, adding the PWADS I want to play.

I just use the Run command from the Start menu, where I say things like "C:\Heretic\GZDoom.exe -iwad \doom_se\doom -file \doom_se\2002ado lights.pk3 brightmaps.pk3". Sweet thing is that the command line is remembered next time you run Run.

*sigh*

It's about time that a definitive answer to the "HELP! HOW DO I PLAY PWADS???" topic is compiled (there were several decent ones made in the past) and stickied, and any new such threads get closed and redirected there with a "RTFM" remark and nothing more. And I said that knowing how "helpful" the other stickies/FAQs turned out, but just for the heck of it, dammit.

If you're using Vista or 7, Shift + right click in a folder in Explorer gives an option "Open command window here". Then type zd and tab until you get zdoom.exe then type -file and start typing wad names and tabbing for each wad you want to load.

edit: apparently it's listed in the article gez listed i don't remember it being there before

Also, the "-file" thing is totally obsolete with ZDoom. The command "zdoom toto.wad" will work just as well as "zdoom -file toto.wad".

All WAD files for me are set to open with GZDoom (most used source port for me) so I just double click them and GZDoom opens.

DuckReconMajor said:

u right. That's why drag and drop works with it right?

Yup.

DuckReconMajor said:

Speaking of -file, was it a Doom specific parameter or was it a general thing back in the DOS days?

Yes and no? There was no real standard, but it was generally assumed that you needed to use special tokens to introduce parameters to make it easier to parse the parameters.

-file is a Unix-type parameter, though. DOS conventions would have been something like /FILE instead.