Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

Doom The Way id Did: v1.1 Released!

Tormentor667 said:

By the way, without having read the whole thread, what was the 10th map guideline about?

Mappers were supposed to imagine that Doom was previously meant to have 10 maps per episode, rather than 9. By acknowledging this we would never try to imitate existing maps, nor we would make homages to them, because we would have to imagine that our map, should it be the real deal in 1993/1994, could be shipped along with other stock maps, so we can't reproduce "existing features from maps already in the episode".

Also - the maps were not supposed to be made for a specific slot, they had to be generic and the mapflow would be decided later, based on layout evolution, and gameplay + difficulty.

We had to make exception for M1 and M8 however, or it would defy the idea of making Doom-ish episodes. These had to be made especially for their slots.

Hey guys who made this collection,

i just want to say thanks for this amazing gift it is nearly my only reason to register on this forum i really really like this wad pack. The levels are truly stunning a really fresh yet very familiary feeling overwhelms me when i play every level. I am glad its not just a Remake and it has tried to take the features and the ID's way of making secrets in to heart i am really amazed by the creativity and architecture, it doesn't feel like extended levels on old maps it feels literally like familiary yet very different places, as some posters already says feels like a new but familiar doom experience. I only played E1 so far i have always loved E1 and its pretty much my most played episode in doom. as i like the Space Architecture more. anyways this compared with BrutalDoom is really awesome :D so thx guys i can't say it enough, i am truly stunned and happy that people are still seeing the qualities of the doom level making you make me so happy. just so you know.

One thing though would have been pretty good if you could have done the same with the soundtrack, but i am not saying anything more. because i am a very music minded a guy and most games live or die on their music choose. IMO

Finished playing the first episode yesterday, and I got to say I'm impressed. You guys did a good job at re-imagining the levels from the original doom. I experienced a lot of deja vu instances where I felt I could actually be playing a bona fide id map. It could be that it just takes time and a couple of replays, but I felt non the levels stood out for me despite how fun they were to play. Sure, the tid bits that made DOOM 1 so memorable were interspersed here and there, but they were also part of something that was more complex and bigger than the original ever was. On top of that, the lack of texture variance and layout style amongst the maps made it hard to distinguish one from the other. Still, for the modern Doomer all these qualities are appropriate. Plus the monster count ante was upped, which I quite liked.

fiend-o-hell said:

Finished playing the first episode yesterday, and I got to say I'm impressed. You guys did a good job at re-imagining the levels from the original doom. I experienced a lot of deja vu instances where I felt I could actually be playing a bona fide id map. It could be that it just takes time and a couple of replays, but I felt non the levels stood out for me despite how fun they were to play. Sure, the tid bits that made DOOM 1 so memorable were interspersed here and there, but they were also part of something that was more complex and bigger than the original ever was. On top of that, the lack of texture variance and layout style amongst the maps made it hard to distinguish one from the other. Still, for the modern Doomer all these qualities are appropriate. Plus the monster count ante was upped, which I quite liked.

I've been playing through the episode this week, too. Since I worked on the project and have played through the levels, I am beginning to see how distinct each level is--and how each level has very memorable areas. When I first played doom, I did not like it because all the levels were the same (I'm talking about episode 1 only). The more I played episode 1 (it was all I had for a long time) the more the levels started to have distinct areas to me and the more I started to enjoy the levels and the environments. I honestly feel this project's episode 1 (and the rest of the levels, too) do have enough variety and distinction--and are as good as the originals in this respect--I think it's just a matter of needing to play through the episode a few times.

webcider said:

One thing though would have been pretty good if you could have done the same with the soundtrack, but i am not saying anything more. because i am a very music minded a guy and most games live or die on their music choose. IMO

Mr. Freeze made a soundtrack for the project:
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/dtwid/dtwidmus.zip

Most of the team however felt that it didn't fit Doom atmosphere, so the music is treated as a non-canonical resource. Therefore we decided not to include it in the wad, but I link to it on the DTWiD Homepage.

I personally found the authenticity to be about 50\50 but I'm only up to E2M4 so we'll see. Some of the levels managed provide that magic(E1M8 in particular great job there ellmo).

Hellbent said:

I've been playing through the episode this week, too. Since I worked on the project and have played through the levels, I am beginning to see how distinct each level is--and how each level has very memorable areas. When I first played doom, I did not like it because all the levels were the same (I'm talking about episode 1 only). The more I played episode 1 (it was all I had for a long time) the more the levels started to have distinct areas to me and the more I started to enjoy the levels and the environments. I honestly feel this project's episode 1 (and the rest of the levels, too) do have enough variety and distinction--and are as good as the originals in this respect--I think it's just a matter of needing to play through the episode a few times.

I agree with your points. After a quick examination of E2 and E3, I felt that both the original and DTWIDD contain far more maps that have that instant distinction vibe. Congrats on keeping this aspect of E1 intact!

As for the Freeze music, I thought it was decent... just not entirely original. I think they have a lot to measure up considering how good and how nostalgia laden the original tracks are. Even though I support the teams decision to keep the two separate, in the future I'll be playing with the Freeze tracks.

Cell said:

So guys. When will it be time to kickstart UDTWiD? You know, the same WAD with a reattached Thy Flesh Consumed.

Most likely sometime after Doom 2 The Way id Did.

esselfortium said:

Most likely sometime after Doom 2 The Way id Did.

Before that there will be DTWiD 1.1 (should actually be called 2.0, considering how tasty the updates are planned to be).

It would be nice to see an episode 4 addon, however that would be a bit too much to ask for.

Doomsfall said:

It would be nice to see an episode 4 addon, however that would be a bit too much to ask for.

The addon will come. But like with the original add on, will be a year or two later. :P

But wouldn't that make it UDTWiD (or v2.0, as ellmo described)? :P

Yeah I'd rather skip episode 4, as it's already a community project.

I need to know, is episode 4 going to be compiled soon or not? I'm really on the edge of releasing my three ep4 maps and ep3 boss map as my own project right now. I don't want to release them, only for episode 4 to suddenly start development.

I really enjoyed the kind of architecture seen in Episode 2 - surprisingly complex yet very natural feeling given the locations. Can't wait to see what kind of crazy stuff Ep. 3 serves up!

Captain Toenail said:

I need to know, is episode 4 going to be compiled soon or not? I'm really on the edge of releasing my three ep4 maps and ep3 boss map as my own project right now. I don't want to release them, only for episode 4 to suddenly start development.

Probably a year or so from now.

There's one little problem with the WAD: It contains TEXTURE1, but no TEXTURE2. The problem is that it will cause an error at startup if loaded to override another WAD which also modifies texture data. I understand the problem is too minor to make another release, so I'll just modify DTWID.WAD (while trying not to look at other data) to include the vanilla TEXTURE2 in it.

i´m playing DTWID right now and i'm having a blast. it's very faithful to the originals. some maps are a bit too loaded with secrets (e1m3), i don't think the original maps had so many, but they were really fun to explore. gameplay is easy of course for those used with modern wads, but this is a welcome change of pace. thanks to everyone involved, good work.

i also hope that john finds time to play this and comment on it.

40oz said:

What does John Romero think of this?

Someone should email him the link to the thread.

It's come to my attention that Sig's review of the mod has been helled (that's a really strict interpretation of post-by-proxy, but I don't suppose I can refute that) including the replies, one of which was a 1.1 status report I had no idea vanished until today.

So, this was posted up on the 11th -- not sure how many have read it, although we've since been holding off on v1.1 for certain reasons:

Xaser said:

Also, in regards to small map fixes and DM issues (still can't believe we missed starts on two maps -- guess that's what happens when a whole episode goes untested in DM), we'll be fixing that up over the next few days or so and releasing version 1.1 to /idgames.

Thankfully, the number of reported issues thus far has been surprisingly small. Nothing's ever bug-free, I suppose, but I've released more than one project back in the day that was met with "this wad doesn't work at all!" :P

Well, since it's been brought up, here's a temp. link to Freeze's music:
http://www.mediafire.com/?3pfw8tu1g0xeh48

Also, I haven't the slightest clue how Captain Toenail's name managed to not find its way into the credits. Consider it fixed for 1.1. :P

No real news now, since Freeze's music has since been posted and Essel and Ellmo have both mentioned the planned v1.1 since. I'm just a bit put off that an actual mod-related status-report was helled because of this, moreso because none of us noticed until long after. Would a "hey we split this, cease discussion" be too much to ask for?

Marnetmar said:

It's in the post directly above yours, dude.

-_- *self-facepalm*

Marnetmar said:

It's in the post directly above yours, dude.

I..think he means the idgames archive, not just a download link.

The plan is for it to be posted on idgames when 1.1 comes out.