Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John Smith

Cacowards 2012 nomination thread

Gez said:

It seems unthinkable that heavyweights like DTWID or CC4 would not get a Cacoward, too.

And to think not long ago people were saying there wasn't much good coming from this years wads, true there have been some awful wads but the number of top quality wads have been higher than ever in my opinion. There will be quite a few deserving wads which will miss out this year.

Also played Khorus, seems very good and another outsider contender here to go with Waverider's "A taste for blood" and combat shock 2 which are wads all released in the last couple of weeks.

I only gave it 4 out of 5 on the /idgames archive, but I think Beyond Reality is indeed an awardable .WAD, just for doing the unlikely things it does so well. I'd have wanted a bit more quality* to go with the great ideas, themes, music and creativity.

*Rotations for the giant zombieman and some of the Doomguy head sprites, widescreen support for the fist graphics, MAP14 to be a bit more free flowing, with less permenant blocking lines and the maps to be a bit less switch-hunty in general, are my main suggestions, but little things like monsters having enough mass for their health and size (so they don't go flying away when you hit them with an SSG, for example) also add to the experience.

My candidates for this year are definitely CChest 4, Beyond Reality, Combat Shock 2 and Winter's Fury, assuming it gets released by then.

Reelism for sure, now that it's been brought up. It's a grand enough project in its own right to stand against the standard category contenders, I believe.

Another nomination for Beyond Reality. It somehow captures the wide-eyed exuberance of a first-time modder, without making any of the mistakes that modder would have made. It has an interesting and varied bestiary of monsters, and wondrous, dream-like levels of excellent quality.

A dead-easy Cacoward winner to me.

Reelism, Beyond Reality and CChest4, 32in24-12, though those might be just the hyped up/usually awarded stuff.

Nah if it wins then definitely a mockaward, giving it a normal cacoward could steal a spot for another great episode/megawad.

vinnie245 said:

Nah if it wins then definitely a mockaward, giving it a normal cacoward could steal a spot for another great episode/megawad.

True, but there's always at least one megawad that gets bumped. It's just what happens. :/

On a side note, I nominate Call of Dooty II: Green Ops for a Cacoward. It's a brilliantly crafted piece of satire that also boasts a nice invasion-style game mode.

Scuba Steve said:

Bring back the mockaward. Call of Dooty keeps getting funnier.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/62215-if-doom-was-done-today-part-2/

Speaking of mockawards, I don't why they removed it yet they awarded "Mandrill Ass Project" which has enough jokewad elements anyways.

(After all, Kama Sutra got a mockaward long ago, so why not that?)

Maybe... maybe we can bring back the Jokewad when we need it? Because Call of Dooty II is great. It is legitimately the result of great effort, is hilarious, and contains a fun variation on the CoD zombie mode. Great satire.

My deck of nominations:
Beyond Reality, Community Chest 4, Reelism, Combat Shock 2, Coffee Break Episode 1

I nominate Doomguy 2000 for the worst author of the year. Search him up on the /idgames archive and just see how horrid his wads are.

Netherstorm said:

I nominate Doomguy 2000 for the worst author of the year. Search him up on the /idgames archive and just see how horrid his wads are.

That award never existed. The closest thing was the Worst Wad award, and that one got ditched along with the Mockaward. Besides, it'd just be giving him attention he doesn't deserve.

Obsidian said:

That award never existed. The closest thing was the Worst Wad award, and that one got ditched along with the Mockaward. Besides, it'd just be giving him attention he doesn't deserve.

I know, I was just kidding. There are not much jokewads out these days that are actually funny instead of the ear raping, pointless, horrible wads. So I can see why the Mockaward and the Worst Wad award were taken away (if that was ever the reason, seems suitable).

Scuba wants Worst Wad & Mockaward to come back. I think we should do it, he is the creator of the Cacowards after all..

Before anybody says anything, I'd like to point out that if Worst Wad were to return,
DoomGuy 2000 should not be allegable for another Cacoward no matter how much more shit he craps out onto /idgames.

He has met all the criteria whether you admit it or not. He made utterly pointless maps, received more attention for them than a lot of serious stuff did and even contributed to instigating a fair share of drama. If our wonderful community wouldn't treat him as it did, I wouldn't give him a vote to appear in worst award category. So yeah, if it's back, then voting doomguy 2000 for worst wad award category.

BlazingPhoenix said:

So basically you nominate Khorus the mapper and Khorus the mapset.

Did nobody really nominate Ed C.'s Putrefier? If so, let me fix this injustice and nominate Putrefier.

Fark. I knew there was something missing. Mega-seconding the Putrefier nomination. :P

On a related-ish note: for me, the guys I'd nominate for MOTY come from a 'quality over quantity' mindset. It's either Ed for Putrefier or Kassman for Shaman's Device, since they're easily the biggest mapping achievements all year.

Also, is there a strong contender for Best Gameplay Mod yet? I've been out of that loop for some weird reason. :P