Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
EarthQuake

Hide

Hide is a neat little game released this year by a guy named Andrew, apparently for some sort of contest. It's a survival horror game of sorts, and here's what it looks like:

Download (Windows and Mac): http://dal-acm.ca/~dice/Hide/

Harkens back to the olden days, aye? Basically, you're plopped into this cold frozen landscape and there is something after you, searching the area with spotlights.No explanation as to why you are there, what you're being chased by, or really what your goal is. Nevertheless, I find this game chilling to the bone. If you get scared easily, you might want to prepare yourself before playing!

Look with the mouse, and use the WASD/arrow keys to move. Repeatedly tapping forward will allow you to sprint moderate distances, that is until you run out of breath. The game will exit when... well, when you're caught. :)

The game has a neat atmosphere and artistic style to it and I thought it was a really fun (and creepy) coffee-break game, so I decided to share it with everyone.

Once you play the game a bit, you might find the following useful:

Spoiler

There are five "signs" that are placed all over the map, and the game will tell you how many you've found before it exits. The locations are, from what I'm able to discern: the house, the church, the lake, the big tree, and the tree in the corner of the woods.

It seems the number of enemies present depend on how many signs you've found, and it gets quite tense when you've found 4-5 signs, especially with the thing flying through the air revealing your location to the others with its huge spot light.

Hiding and running is pretty much all you can do, but that in itself is enough to keep me playing the game!

I can't get this crappy thing to work. EXE won't run because of some missing .dll that doesn't even exist in the zip.

I finally got it to work by running Windows XP automatic extraction facility. I think that's the first time I've ever used that.

It's kind of creepy but I can't really play it for long. It's incredibly hard on the eyes.

First thing I did was run toward the light.

Second time I found 3 of the signs before dying.

I like the style but I found Amnesia more scary/creepy TBH

Very cool. I like the combo of realistic, high fidelity sound and low fidelity visuals. I always thought that would be a powerfully immersive combo and now I have proof.

Useful tricks I just figured out:

Spoiler

- If you're near a sign, you'll hear a soft, repeating piano tone that gets louder as you get closer.

- You can get credit for discovering all five locations by discovering the same location five times. Just keep bringing one sign in and out of focus with your left mouse button.

Planky said:

First thing I did was run toward the light.

Heh, same here. Bit unfortunate too -- I was hoping for nazis. :(

Seeing the pixilated black things right before they catch you is pretty damn scary. Also, how the hell do I avoid being spotted by the blimp? Seems like no matter how far I am from its spot light it automatically just focuses on me.

It was pretty alright, got to 3 signs before I got caught because my guy wouldn't sprint for more than 3 seconds every 5 minutes it seemed.

Not sure what to do about the airship either, running doesn't seem to work, and finding somewhere to hide from it is really danged difficult, I think you're supposed to find the signs in a specific order so as to be in the best possible spot to not get caught.

I really hate how most of the time "indie game" = "completely uncustomizable controls." Rebind the movement keys? Ha! Invert the mouse? Fuck you! Use a gamepad on a 2D platformer? ARROW KEYS FOREVER

Hmmm. Just played this for the first time. Walked toward the direction of the moon, ran into a wall and couldnt figure out where to go, sat there for 10 minutes to see if anything happened. It didn't.

Gonna have to try another playthrough I guess, but since nothing is explained I don't even know if I'm supposed to be looking for anything