Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone remember Blood? That game where you fought cultists and their dark creations? Well, I do. And I loved it. Definitely in my top 5 favorite classic FPS games right beside the DooM series.

Ranging from punting zombie heads into goals or all over the place, to liquifying your foes with the napalm launcher, and even to hurt an enemy through their soul with the voodoo doll, it was a blast.

Anyone else remember this gem?

Hey, I've got some of that! *pricks finger* ...ow. Bit less now.

*ahem*

I mean, yep. Great game. Though well-known in these circles. ;)

Blood has been a thorn in my side lately. I've tried recently to download two very promising looking mods, only to have them not run at all. This is because the developers never released the source code, so compiling the necessary files for additional levels and resources is convoluted. Obviously, in Doom, all we have to do is unzip a .pk3 or .wad file, drag and drop into the source port of our choice, and bam. In both the Blood mods I downloaded, there were numerous files that had to be placed in the main directory, as well as a custom launcher. In both cases the authors had their own specific way of running these mods, and in both cases the mods refused to work.

One Unit Whole Blood is an amazing package. This is such a fun game to play through. Personally I find the gameplay more fun than Duke3D.

The son of a bitch must pay!

I would like to buy it, but I haven't seen it in amazon.co.uk.. or maybe it's possible to login to amazon.com with the same account? I haven't tried...

Though I hated the gargoyle enemies.. they just had dumb amount of health and then all you have to do is crouch and pitchfork them... especially the big gray ones, which sometimes don't even seem to be dying from the other weapons.

The only thing I can remember about Blood when playing it years and years and years ago was that I'd constantly get strangled to death by disembodied hands and I had no idea if it was possible to get them off of you.

Is it possible?

Jimi said:

Though I hated the gargoyle enemies.. they just had dumb amount of health and then all you have to do is crouch and pitchfork them... especially the big gray ones, which sometimes don't even seem to be dying from the other weapons.

You can instakill them with a point-blank shot of the voodoo doll's secondary fire.

Melon said:

The only thing I can remember about Blood when playing it years and years and years ago was that I'd constantly get strangled to death by disembodied hands and I had no idea if it was possible to get them off of you.

Is it possible?

You're supposed to be able to get them off by pressing the "use" key rapidly, but because of how this was implemented it's next to impossible to do this on PCs with fast CPUs. Strangely, running Blood in DosBox doesn't solve this problem.

Blood is probably my second favorite game, Doom is always 1st place.

Blood was a fun game though, I felt the expansions were kinda half-assed compared the the rest of the game.

I absolutely love Blood 2.

Not many people agree with me on that one, though.

See Blood 2 caught a lot of flak because it went the opposite direction of most FPSes during that time period. Less realistic, more ridiculous, less serious storyline, more juvenile jokes. The guns operated and looked nothing like real life, the technology in no way stood up to things like Half Life. But looking at it from my perspective here and now, I feel like it out retro-FPSes Serious Sam. Strictly speaking, is it a good game? Well crafted with attention played to balance and writing and acting and art style? No, not at all. But it is immensely fun and stupid from my perspective. Often very broken. So to all the haters out there, I suggest you fire it up and give it a try again, with these things in mind. You'll probably enjoy yourself!

skaman86 said:

You know, I've never actually gotten the chance to play Blood 2. Is really worth playing?

Yes. Shaikoten's right, Blood 2 is very cool. It doesn't feel like anything else, kinda has its own unique feel owing in large part to the Lithtech engine. It can be a bit buggy sometimes, but not in a way that will ruin anything IMO, just the occasional minor inconvenience.

skaman86 said:
You know, I've never actually gotten the chance to play Blood 2. Is really worth playing?

It can't stand in the shadow of the original. But since you can probably pick it up for a buck or two, can't hurt to try.

The biggest mistake is the damage/armor system. Armor is next to useless; a standard enemy will wipe your max armor in just a shot or two. Projectile splash damage often leak through walls, killing you when you thought you ducked safely behind cover. This makes fights extremely annoying. And there's a hitscan rocket launcher. Closing doors often kill you. Some environmental stuff kills you too, but isn't always apparant.

I do like the player's weapons, apart from the hitscan rocket launcher which is just bullshit. You need to pick and choose which ones you want to carry.

The monsters aren't that fun to fight, except for zombies. Some enemies can only be hit during or just before their attack. Human enemies give long speeches, including cursing which can be bleeped out... making it even more annoying. Levels are sometimes recycled. Level design is about average to good, but not the splendid quality you had in the first Blood.

The story is rambling. It doesn't make any fucking sense. Never could defeat the last boss legit, but by that point I didn't care enough to do so anymore.

Guess that about sums it up.

Blood is easily the most fun I've had with a 2.5D shooter outside of Doom. Much in the same way that Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax and Slayer became known as the "big four" in thrash metal, I think of Duke 3D, Redneck Rampage, Shadow Warrior and Blood as being the "big four" of the Build Engine era. All quality games, but obviously there's one you'll favor more than the others. Blood has the best balance of everything. The core fundamentals--level design, weapons, enemies and the placement of those things--was all top notch. Even the shittiest maps are a lot of fun. But then you have more superficial elements, like Caleb's quotes, the gore, the art direction, the music--and it's all top notch, too. I would love to see this remade with modern hardware.

Everything Mordeth is saying about Blood 2 is basically true, but it's got the same appeal as watching a crappy B-movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. Don't go into Blood 2 expecting Half-Life, or even Unreal, cause you won't get it.

I just want to be on the record saying that Lithtech engine games are all super fun, not despite their quirks, but because of them.

I've played the Blood 2 demo a very long time ago and it was okay, but from my personal experience, it could never match the original.

Haven't really played much of it, just enough to get a feel for it. DOSbox emulation is buggy and shoddy at best far as I can tell, and it certainly ain't friendly with FRAPS. If there's a source port out there that works with it I'd be willing to give it a try again sooner rather than later.

I played a bit of it. It's...interesting.

It's one of the few games I've played that actually uses voxels, which is pretty cool.

I just tried blood earlier last year and felt I loved it expecially for the gore, however after the first playthrough I found it to be a bit boring.

Jimi said:

The son of a bitch must pay!

I would like to buy it, but I haven't seen it in amazon.co.uk.. or maybe it's possible to login to amazon.com with the same account? I haven't tried...

I would highly recommend the GOG.com version, it's really cheap and cleaned up so it runs on more modern machines, right out of it's virtual box.

Xeros612 said:

Haven't really played much of it, just enough to get a feel for it. DOSbox emulation is buggy and shoddy at best far as I can tell, and it certainly ain't friendly with FRAPS. If there's a source port out there that works with it I'd be willing to give it a try again sooner rather than later.

The current version of DosBox actually runs Blood extremely well.

xvertigox said:

One Unit Whole Blood is an amazing package. This is such a fun game to play through. Personally I find the gameplay more fun than Duke3D.

Way more fun than Duke3d. But personally, the very last episode was boring. Also felt way pointless after having already killed Tchernobog.

Nomad said:

Way more fun than Duke3d. But personally, the very last episode was boring. Also felt way pointless after having already killed Tchernobog.

Pointless? I thought the enemies in the last episode were supposed to be the remaining remnants of the cult and the idea is that Caleb has no choice but to defeat them as they would must likely be after him after he destroyed their dark god, I would hardly consider that pointless.

I really enjoy Blood in the early levels, but I started to get bored of it by the end, especially the later levels in the Plasma Pack.