Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's the best way to run Blood? I think I have it sitting around in a zip file somewhere on my PC, and I used to play it with DOSBox; is there a simpler way, a la ZDoom?

Aaronjw said:

What's the best way to run Blood? I think I have it sitting around in a zip file somewhere on my PC, and I used to play it with DOSBox; is there a simpler way, a la ZDoom?

Nope, Dos or DosBox is the only way.

Aaronjw said:

If the source is released we'll see a source port.

Aaronjw said:

Uhm, what's simpler than dragging Blood.exe into Dosbox.exe?

I liked Blood 2, it was buggy as hell but the environments were varied, the weapons system and the weapons themselves were awesome and the Phantasm from Blood 2 is one of the best designed enemies I've ever seen.

GoatLord said:

The current version of DosBox actually runs Blood extremely well.

I'll have to give that a go then. The version of DOSbox that came with the executable from GOG ran pretty poorly from what I remember.

On Blood 2, similar case to the first; bit of testing to see how it ran. I remember software rendering looking like shit and hardware rendering looking alright, but crashing at random.

Technician said:

If the source is released...

Not in a million years.

Funny. The first time I played Blood through all the way was through DOSBox, and aside from a single crash, it ran perfectly fine. I guess people are playing with the resolution up too high, or their computers are too weak.

I loved Blood. Possibly my all-time favorite non-Id FPS. It combined classic FPS gameplay (and I mean real, classic FPS gameplay, not that Serious Sam "square arenas with hundreds of enemies over and over" crap) with some legitimate creepiness, creative weaponry, and some nicely-detailed levels that are fun to explore.

I never played Blood II, but I tried the demo. It...crashed a whole lot.

GoatLord said:

Uhm, what's simpler than dragging Blood.exe into Dosbox.exe?

For some reason the first time I played it it took ages to figure out the right configurations for DosBox (it was an illegal copy of Blood though). Just yesterday though, I bought it from gog.com and used their installer and it runs beautifully.

It's preset and preconfigured (as in DosBox settings), it's as simple as running the shortcuts created via installation.

I replayed the first two levels again.

I got bored with it pretty quick... as in the second I died in the second level I just didn't really want to continue. I played too much of it, I guess. But games now don't hold my attention much.

Craigs said:

Just out of curiosity, does it come automatically set up for you? As in do you still need to download dosbox, VDM, etc.?

Small chance you'll have to tweak the DOSBOX .conf file for it, but for Blood it worked without tweaking on my machine.

skaman86 said:

You know, I've never actually gotten the chance to play Blood 2. Is really worth playing?

A word of warning: The game does NOT work on Windows 7. Only Windows vista and older work. I found out the hard way when I bought it of GoG.com and then could not play it :(

hardcore_gamer said:

A word of warning: The game does NOT work on Windows 7. Only Windows vista and older work. I found out the hard way when I bought it of GoG.com and then could not play it :(

I didn't buy Blood 2 from GoG, but rather got the CD used off of ebay or amazon or some such. Anyway, I play it on a Windows 7 laptop and it runs. It is rather buggy; it freezes up occasionally and there's a few graphical glitches, but it does run. It should be noted also, that (using the CD anyway) you have to copy the "game" folder from the CD onto your computer and run it from the .exe file in there.

hardcore_gamer said:

YMMV, works fine for me.

Don't know why you have a problem, though. Bad luck, I guess?

Platinum Shell said:

I understand GoatLord, it's a messy way of launching these, but I've got the GOG version of One Unit Whole Blood, and I was able to run Death Wish with no issues.

Thanks for the recommendation, but but the moddb.com version of the download was damaged, and the Mediafire link didn't take me anywhere.

EDIT: Goddammit, this is frustrating as hell. I searched around and simply cannot find a download for this mod. I tried to find another promising one, Bloody Pulp Fiction, and someone in the comments said one of the files is a Trojan. What the fuck? Why is it so freaking hard to get mods for this game running? Or even downloaded?

EDIT: Purely illogical, but Google Chrome refused to download Death Wish, yet Internet Explorer did. The installation instructions are confusing. I cannot get it to run. I'm on the verge of never playing this game again.

EDIT: Also get a low memory error every single time I run Blood, even after editing the memory size on the config file. I am completely without words to describe why this whole thing has to be so convoluted.

hardcore_gamer said:

Ran fine for me. Windows 7 here. (By "fine" I mean "it will run". As mentioned before hardware acceleration makes the game crash.)

hardcore_gamer said:

Works fine here. Windows 7 64-Bit. I even reduced crashing by setting the affinity for the game to one core.

Playing it 1440x900, HW mode on. The engine is shit, and I still get a rare random crash.

Apparently both Matt Saettler and Craig Hubbard from Lith have possession of the source code, but they require written permission from Atari that states that they're the copyright owner(s), otherwise they aren't under obligation to release it.

Six said:

Apparently both Matt Saettler and Craig Hubbard from Lith have possession of the source code, but they require written permission from Atari that states that they're the copyright owner(s), otherwise they aren't under obligation to release it.

I bet if you email Nolan Bushnell he'd look into it.

EDIT: Here's his Twitter.

Belial said:

I liked Blood 2, it was buggy as hell but the environments were varied, the weapons system and the weapons themselves were awesome and the Phantasm from Blood 2 is one of the best designed enemies I've ever seen.

I didn't get very far at all in Blood 2 back in the day because I used god mode and that hand thing would block my screen and I didn't know how to kill it.

TimeOfDeath said:

I didn't get very far at all in Blood 2 back in the day because I used god mode and that hand thing would block my screen and I didn't know how to kill it.

Repeatedly hit space. Those were cruel, cruel enemies to put in a game.

[LeD]Jake Crusher said:

Well, no mentioning of Atari here. There, I've found something interesting below:

BLOOD™ Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

Guess no more Blood for Atari, right? Or wrong?

Blood was originally published by GTi, who later down the line got bought by Atari. The GOG gamecard even says it was published by Atari, so I assumed they have/had the code.

Also the best Blood site out there: http://www.the-postmortem.com/home/