Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bimlanders

downgraded doom to 1.1, problems.

I downgraded my copy of Ultimate Doom to ver. 1.1 a while back, and I was never able to run the doom.exe file. I get a message of "W_InitFiles: no files found." I figured out that I can still run the game by typing "Doom -file doom.wad." However, I'm up shit paddle without a creek if I want to play any pwads. Now that DTWID has been released, I wanted to experience in its proper vanilla glory.

I also found that I can upgrade 1.1 to 1.2 but the patch doesn't work because the "old" file wasn't found. I'm not sure what that's about.

-thanks.

I can't explain the bug. But I will say that you can load multiple wads using -file.

'-file 1.wad 2.wad....'

Thanks for the tip. I never realized you could do that. However, the DTWID wad didn't work because of a missing texture error. Is it not vanilla compatible, maybe?

It may not be compatible with 1.1. The early versions were missing some resources that were added in later ones.

DTWID also has some texture oddities, as discussed here (in the context of Freedoom, but it might have something to do with the 1.1 problem).

DTWID isn't compatible with versions of Doom earlier than 1.9.

Earlier versions like Doom 1.1 had even stricter rendering limits than 1.9 did (even Doom's own e1m8 could cause HOM from breaking the low original limits), and we opted against strictly limiting DTWID's maps to the original limit. Some of the maps might work, but they haven't been tested.

bimlanders said:

Now that DTWID has been released, I wanted to experience in its proper vanilla glory.

The PNAMES lump in DTWID.WAD is for Ultimate Doom - so that's the IWAD you'll need to play it.

@Maes: LOL. I already have that version separately. I wanted to play this new .wad on dosbox.

@Goatlord: I wanted to experience the original game I remembered it from early '94. Plus, the music DOES sound different. I don't care what anyone says about that. ;)

@Anyone involved with DTWID who might be reading or replying: Awesome freakin' job! I'm playing it on Zdoom, and I love it. I thought it would be fun to play through dosbox, but oh well. :)

Mithran Denizen said:

You can run Ultimate Doom v1.9 in DOSBox just as easily as you can run v1.1, so I'm s bit puzzled as to exactly what your problem here is. :/

I guess I'm dumb then. I thought that Ultimate Doom was Windows only. Oops!

What .exe do I use to boot Ultimate Doom in Dosbox? Doom95 won't work, for obvious reasons. But there's no other Doom.exe present.

What you could try is - download and install Shareware Doom (which has the v1.9 executables), replace DOOM1.WAD with your Ultimate Doom IWAD then download and run the 1.9 to Ultimate Doom patch, which will (hopefully) update the executables. Though with any luck the Shareware executable will do the job without patching, so you might like to try that first.

GreyGhost said:

which will (hopefully) update the executables.

Yes, it does. It gives an error message because it fails to patch the wad (it is already "patched") but by that point it has already patched the exe.

GreyGhost said:

Though with any luck the Shareware executable will do the job without patching, so you might like to try that first.

Using the shareware exe is like using Registered Doom 1.9. Gameplay differences (vs Ultimate Doom) will be minor (just lost soul behaviour), assuming the boss specials in ExM8 don't have an impact (i.e. Cyb or Spid in E1M8, Spid in E2M8 or Cyb in E3M8).

bimlanders said:

What .exe do I use to boot Ultimate Doom in Dosbox? Doom95 won't work, for obvious reasons. But there's no other Doom.exe present.

If your copy of Ultimate Doom came on a CD-ROM, you might also want to check around the CD's file system for the original DOS installer and/or a directory with the unpacked executable and related files.

Not all Ultimate Doom CDs include the DOS stuff, I'm told, but mine certainly does. It's sort of hidden away, and the autorun installer only provides the Doom95 version, but it's all on there.

GreyGhost said:

What you could try is - download and install Shareware Doom (which has the v1.9 executables), replace DOOM1.WAD with your Ultimate Doom IWAD then download and run the 1.9 to Ultimate Doom patch, which will (hopefully) update the executables. Though with any luck the Shareware executable will do the job without patching, so you might like to try that first.

Thanks. This worked simply by swapping wads (that sounds nasty). Now I can play this on dosbox. You made my day!