Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Vintage E1M1 (and Cybie ;-) playback

Ever wondered how Doom's music would sound through a valve-based vintage reel-to-reel recorder? Where, here's how. I wonder if this is the oldest audio device ever to play something Doom-related ;-)

More about how this baby fell into my hands here.

After I got a vintage -but crystal-clear- microphone to go with it, it proved to be able to record at a quality far superior than I expected -at least on par with a good 80s tabletop recorder, and surely better than a half-assed "MP3 recorder". Very little noise, and good amplification. I tried to saturate the amp in this video to get that "tube sound" everybody's raving about :-p

The statick-y noise you hear in the video actually comes from the camera, and not from the recorder itself. The recorder has actually max. freq. response of 12 KHz, the camera just 4 KHz. "Cheaper and better" electronics my ass ;-)

That was your voice in the background, right? :P

Other than that, I like it!

For some reason, I am now expecting someone to completely upstage this by recording D_RUNNIN into a wax cylinder phonograph.

Now, just playing with OPL emulation or even a real OPL2 card won't be enough: to be REALLY oldschool it must pass through a tube amp first.

Fun fact: Apparently, Doom's music is owned by UMPG Publishing, at least according to Youtube's Content ID's system.

The only way to win this thread is playing E1M1 on a vintage elevator sound system. Only one man could possibly manage that feat...

hex11 said:

The only way to win this thread is playing E1M1 on a vintage elevator sound system.

I dunno, playing it on something like this would be even more "win" IMO.