Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
40oz

Recording Multiplayer Demos

Alien Vendetta, Gothic Deathmatches, TNT Blood, and various other deathmatch wads all feature DEMO1 lumps with other players. How is this done? Also, do occurrences of lag cause demos to go out of sync?

The original Doom engine was tic-based so demos can't go out of sync. Any "lag" experienced causes the game to slow down on both ends until the tic order is properly "caught up" again. Those demos you are watching are old doom2.exe demos that were probably recorded over a network, instead of over the Internet. Of course Client/Server ports don't adjust the game speed according to slowdown- if you lag, you're behind. Thats why doom format demos over client/server are pretty much impossible.

Cool.

So if I were to set up a Home LAN network, how might I go about creating a multiplayer demo? What do I need to play with? Are source ports like prboom, odamex, or chocolate doom out of the question?

40oz said:

Are source ports like prboom, odamex, or chocolate doom out of the question?

Odamex, yes. PrBoom and Chocolate, no.

don't use prboom-plus though, it has some netcode and mouse issues in coop that make it nearly unplayable. or at least that was the case last time i tried cooping in it. core prboom works better just for this one purpose. :)

Prboom-plus worked pretty good at the Prague LAN. I don't recall any issues of the type you describe.

Grazza said:

Prboom-plus worked pretty good at the Prague LAN. I don't recall any issues of the type you describe.

ah, then i retract my wording - it worked badly for me and graim when we tried to record some coop demos and there was ~100km distance between us. :)