Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

The Binding of Isaac (game)

Simple topic. Discuss this game! What do you think about this game.

Personally, I absolutely love it! Very addictive.

I got this in one of the Humble Bundles and it was way way better than I was expecting it to be. It's a really good game.

I got the Awesome Indie Bundle from my friends for Xmas, and it had this in it. Played it a bit, rather interesting. A bit like a cross between a roguelike and a Zelda dungeon. The first time I played, though, it gave me a locked door with no key before it so I had to restart. The backstory and flavor of the game is very strange, though.

Danarchy said:

I got the Awesome Indie Bundle from my friends for Xmas, and it had this in it. Played it a bit, rather interesting. A bit like a cross between a roguelike and a Zelda dungeon. The first time I played, though, it gave me a locked door with no key before it so I had to restart. The backstory and flavor of the game is very strange, though.

Sometimes that happens. Generally, the only doors which are locked are the stores.

Very, very, VERY good game. I got it when it was for the next-to-nothing price of only a mere buck and a couple quarters scrounged off the car seat.

It's amazing, very well done (hopefully more updates) and has an amazing replay value.

My only complaint was that it wasn't optimized to well, and requires a bit of a strong processor to get a decent framerate. Setting your game's graphic options to auto also helps. And I also reccomend launching it with GameBooster, works very well.

All-in-all, 9.5/10.

Personally if you're looking for an indie dungeon crawl I have to recommend Dungeons of Dredmor over Binding of Issac. More complexity, turn based, proper roguelike, permadeath and balls hard difficulties, a growing modding community, a ton of humor, and the guys who make it are awful swell and down to earth. Not saying that BoI is bad though, and priced as they are, I think the safest recommendation is to just get both and see what you like better ;)

Platinum Shell said:

My only complaint was that it wasn't optimized to well, and requires a bit of a strong processor to get a decent framerate.

It's pretty much entirely stemmed from the fact it's done in Flash. I really hope the developers of Isaac take a clue from VVVVVV (which initially was flash as well) and just rewrite it in C.

I've been waiting for someone to start this topic... instead of me. I'm big into this game. The trailers did nothing to sell me this game. If anything the trailers made me avoid the game. However, I bought it for $1.50 and I'm 10 hours into it.

The game is a fantastic combination of Zelda 1 and Smash TV. Shooting in 4 directions while running in 4 directions. A bomb button an item button and a secondary item button.

The basements (levels) are very reminiscent of Zelda 1 palaces. Only randomly generated. There is an extremely diverse array of enemies, multi teired enemies, and even amped up versions of enemies. Bosses, treasure rooms, special rooms and so on. Just like Zelda.

The randomness is a big selling point to this. Along with the fact there's no guide so all 50 items you get, and 50 secondary items like pills and tarot cars, you need to figure out what they do yourself.

The art style is adorably disturbing. Poop on the floor, fetuses, blood, empty bleeding eye sockets, tears and so on. Its really interesting and the fact there are 50 enemies makes for a really great game.

geo: I totally agree with you! However, I didn't bought the game, I got a gift code from my friend to the Humble Voxatron Debut, which contained this game and Voxatron too.

I bought 2 of my friends copies of the game. Friends that I know liked the original Zelda. I felt bad for buying it for only $1.50. Neither friend has played it yet. I've even posted on their forum.

I felt the art style is more like Super Meatboy...

geo said:

I felt the art style is more like Super Meatboy...

That would be because its made by the same people.

Anyway, I take it this topic got revived because it's on sale today? It's not the best game ever but it's definitely worth at least twice its price in game play value. I got addicted to it for a while.

Danarchy said:

Anyway, I take it this topic got revived because it's on sale today?

It is? Awesome. *buys it*. I was going to buy it when I bought Fear last week, but I didn't know paypal takes $0.50 off of purchases.

I guess it excels in quick plays. 40-60 minutes then die... then do something else and come back to it. You unlock other characters which helps the redundancy. Randomness helps the redundancy too.

Belial said:

Boring crap after 10 playthroughs.

I don't think so. I'm addicted, I've played at least 95 times.

Hate to bump, but a huge and cheap DLC is coming out on the 28th: The Wrath of the Lamb.

Looks quite good, nearly doubling the game's content, for only three bucks.

Hell yeah, I'll buy it. I finally beat Mom and Mom's Heart a while back. Haven't got much further than that, though. Somehow I managed to unlock more on my laptop than my home computer. Not sure how that happened.

I haven't had any time to play it, but I'll buy the DLC for it :-)

Sorry to hear that Steve. The trailers to me are terrible. Don't make me want to buy the game. On the plus side I bought the DLC... but I won't have time to play it for a while. Like every other game I bought on Steam.

Bought the DLC when it came out and played it. I haven't beaten the game yet with it, but it's pretty awesome. On one hand, it makes the game a bit harder (the new levels and bosses are kind of hard-mode versions of the old ones), but on the other hand some of the items they give you are pretty badass (like the relatively common Holy Grail, which gives you +1 heart and flying), so it evens out the score a bit.