Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EClydeDeebo

thy flesh consumed

i installed doom and updates to 1.9 and ran the 19_udpat.exe but I don't have the fourth episode available in the start screen.

Can anyone tell me why i am having this problem

Thanks

If I remember correcty, the 4th episode was only available as an expansion in it's own modified original Doom.wad, I don't think it was available as seperate and free through patching the original Doom.wad with the normal patches.

After running 19_udpat.exe did you follow the instructions and run the pshell program as well? I'm talking about this:

I'm too lazy to dig up an old IWAD to test it myself right now, but I remember this working fine for me before.

Doomsfall said:

If I remember correcty, the 4th episode was only available as an expansion in it's own modified original Doom.wad, I don't think it was available as seperate and free through patching the original Doom.wad with the normal patches.

I think you remember incorrectly.

John Romero said:
For our customers who bought the full version of DOOM through our 800 number, we made a patch for them that would upgrade them to the Ultimate DOOM product.

Mithran Denizen said:

I think you remember incorrectly.

Well for some reason I always thought Ultimate Doom was a paid for expansion. :P

Patching should certainly work. Make sure you have a completely unaltered iwad (maybe reinstall from the original disk) and an unmodified version 1.9 registered Doom.exe file. If you don't have the exe (it wasn't supplied in some later versions), then you can use the one from the shareware - it's identical.

You may need to run the patcher in Dosbox.

Doomsfall: if you don't actually know something, it's sometimes best not to say anything.

Grazza said:

Doomsfall: if you don't actually know something, it's sometimes best not to say anything.

I know, it's just that my memory of certain things sometimes changes over time and I don't always realize this and in turn I thought I was correct.

what I had done was use the 19_udpat.exe incorrectly.

after reading the posts here I used 16_19drp.exe THEN I used 19_udpat.exe ran pshell and all is working as it should.

Thanks to all the posters

Doomsfall said:

Well for some reason I always thought Ultimate Doom was a paid for expansion. :P

This ain't Duke Nukem 3D :P

1st Episode : Shareware
2nd Episode : Retail only
3rd Episode : Retail only
4th Episode : Free available update

That means: Doom is 50% available for free :-)

To be honest I initially thought that The Ultimate Doom was different than regular Doom. Mostly because the TITLEPICs of Doom and The Ultimate Doom are different, I was lead to believe that the two were separate games and that the available free patches wouldn't turn Doom into Ultimate Doom by themselves