Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fawtytoo

Combine demo lumps into one lump?

As Doom 2 only supports 3 demo lumps, is there a way to combine demos into one lump? I have 21 demos, and would like to combine 7 into 1 lump, thus giving 3 demo lumps overall.

I'm guessing there could be some bytes I could add to the end of the first demo to dismiss the intermission and go straight to the next demo.

Possible?

You can combine the data, but the resulting demo almost certainly won't play back correctly.

The reason is that many in-game events are determined by the state of the pseudo random number generator (PRNG). If you append a demo to the end of another, it will get different random numbers than if it starts from scratch. This will very quickly throw events out of sync.

You could probably play a few maps in succession in one demo lump, but for the demos you have I doubt you'll have any luck getting them to play right.

What's the purpose of have 21 demos anyway if you don't mind me asking?

I'd say either use 40oz's idea of recording a single demo of multiple maps at once, or include all the demos in the wad zipfile (not in the wad itself).

In prboom-plus it is possible to record a demo where the player uses "load game" function. I guess you could switch between the levels this way. I don't know how it works exactly but it happened to me one time when I saved during the recording.

40oz said:

You could probably play a few maps in succession in one demo lump, but for the demos you have I doubt you'll have any luck getting them to play right.

What's the purpose of have 21 demos anyway if you don't mind me asking?

I simply have 21 demos for 21 maps. I found some demos for Chex Quest 1 which has several levels in one demo. Just wondered how it was done.

I'll go back to my original idea: 7 wads with 3 demos each. Then load a demo wad at random using a script.

fawtytoo said:

I found some demos for Chex Quest 1 which has several levels in one demo. Just wondered how it was done.

They were recorded as a single demo. They weren't recorded separately and then added together.