Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eargosedown

Duke Nukem Forever on sale -- $5

Xeros612 said:

@Havok
MetaCritic also gave a very simple puzzle game with an autotuned robot voice spewing forced memes 90+ and the most simplified, consolized Elder Scrolls game ever a higher rating than Morrowind.

MORROWIND SHOULD HAVE A HIGHER SCORE THAN EVERYTHING. Oh and you do realize Metacritic isn't just one reviewer right? It's a compilation of reviews and scores from different reviewers compiled together and averaged out.

Rambosee said:

5 dollars? Why not go waste it on something more useful?
Say half life?

Did you even play DNF all the way through, and if so...realistically, was it that BAD? I get the feeling some of you have only played bits of it without giving it a chance. It wasn't a fantastic game but it was still *far* from shit. People said similar things about Daikatana - once you actually played enough and got past a few (annoying) things, it turned out to be a decent and enjoyable game. Yet Activision craps out MW3 and it sells in the millions...like, really??

I mean, seriously, DNF had some cool moments (flying on an alien whilst beating the shit out of it, making its head EXPLODE, and crashing its dead body into a building?!). The DLC has more gold like that, more often than the hints of sunshine in vanilla, but I'd rather not spoil if anyone here ends up purchasing it (protip: you should)!

I didn't think the Hive level was annoying or offensive at all - the joke wasn't exactly on target, but it surely wasn't anything to get all pissy about. I never understood any of that - I'd rather play that level than the awkward airport massacre in MW2, but still - it's only a game. At least the Hive had pretty graphics (I was loving the purple disco-ball alien you had to roll around).

I don't know. I bought the game at release night (the $80 version) and had a fucking blast with it, and the DLC improving upon everything the original lacked was well worth the 6 month wait and the $10 price tag. I don't regret either purchase.

Either that, or there's some justification for waiting so god damned long that it HAD to be good. Too old now to let childhood dreams fail me, dammit! (-;

Chu said:

Did you even play DNF all the way through, and if so...realistically, was it that BAD? I get the feeling some of you have only played bits of it without giving it a chance. It wasn't a fantastic game but it was still *far* from shit. People said similar things about Daikatana - once you actually played enough and got past a few (annoying) things, it turned out to be a decent and enjoyable game. Yet Activision craps out MW3 and it sells in the millions...like, really?

The game couldn't hold my attention once I got past the Duke Burger level. I got about midway through the desert levels and just haven't bothered to play the game since.

Shame the DLC requires the original game, if it is so good. I'd love to try it out.

Danarchy said:

I keep seeing that ad and wish I could afford that shit. I'd wear suits every day if I had the money and it were socially acceptable.

No offense, but what is the appeal of suits? They look pretty archaic/aristocratic, dunno if I personally would want to be associated with either.

I have to agree that the general opinion of DNF is a bit harsh. Its not gold by any standard, and there where plenty of moments where the game seemed lacking, but there was plenty of fun moments in it as well. I absolutely loved the shrinking parts as I thought they where creative and fun. Other interest moments was the aforementioned battle where you beat the head of an alien while flying through the air. Now it did have its utter crap moments such as the hive, hover dam and underwater levels. I loved the final boss battle. Never did DNF feel like DN3D, but in that battle it felt like there was a hint of it there.

Seriously people, there's worse games out there. Far worse. Yes this was nothing like the duke we all knew and loved, but then again all you have to do is pop duke 3d into your pc and that duke lives again. 5 bucks for DNF? yes its worth it, I'd say even 10 bucks was worth it. DNF is no crown jewel, but its alot better than some of the other shit out there.

Without being harsh, I honestly feel that I don't like Duke Nukem Forever and don't consider it "good".

WildWeasel said:

Five bucks currently gets you the entire Orange Box, too, and I'd consider that a vastly better deal.

Not really when Portal and TF2 are now free. No CS:S in the Orange Box = LAME

Mr. T said:

Not really when Portal and TF2 are now free. No CS:S in the Orange Box = LAME

Seriously?

Half Life 2 and the episodes aren't worth $5? I mean, come on, they're dated a bit, but if you haven't got them already, that's an amazing deal.

Membrain said:

Seriously?

Half Life 2 and the episodes aren't worth $5? I mean, come on, they're dated a bit, but if you haven't got them already, that's an amazing deal.

I personally didn't find Half Life 2 all that enjoyable.

I was gifted Portal 2 yesterday by a friend, since they dropped it to $7.50, and that was well worth the buy.

Rambosee said:

Say half life?

I actually "wasted" them exactly on that: a magazine here bundled a DVD-ROM installable, DRM-free, Steam-free, standalone version of Half Life 2 ;-)

Membrain said:

Seriously?

I dunno, HL2 was cool the first time, but it is so SO amazingly linear. Also hearing "GORDON YOU ARE SO AWESOME WE ARE GOING TO GIVE YOU SOME EXPOSITION WITHOUT ACTUALLY REVEALING ANYTHING IMPORTANT BECAUSE OUR WRITER LIKES THINGS TO BE MYSTERIOUS AND SHIT" for 10 minutes straight multiple times throughout the game is exceedingly lame.

At least COD lets you skip cutscenes :-|

Sodaholic said:

No offense, but what is the appeal of suits? They look pretty archaic/aristocratic, dunno if I personally would want to be associated with either.

Yeah, but watching Jeeves and Wooster makes me wish I could dress like that.

Sodaholic said:

No offense, but what is the appeal of suits?

A nice suit is comfortable to wear. They also make you feel a little bit important and sophisticated. They're also socially necessary at certain events like weddings and funerals and in certain professions and job interviews.

Chu said:

Either that, or there's some justification for waiting so god damned long that it HAD to be good.

Uh, yeah? Conversely I don't have any kind of obligation to say something's good that's obviously an uninspired mess, just because of the work that went into it, the time it took or it's difficult development process.

Rambosee said:

Say a life?

FTFY

Maes said:

FTFY

This is from a guy who has made not one but several vocal recordings of the Doom comic in various different tones and accents, devotes his life to exploring obscure and vintage technology and has developed a borderline inhuman encyclopedic knowledge of pretty much anything that harnesses the majesty of electricity. ;-)

DoomUK said:

devotes his life to exploring obscure and vintage technology and has developed a borderline inhuman encyclopedic knowledge of pretty much anything that harnesses the majesty of electricity. ;-)

Hey are at least these last two bits -partially- justifiable by the fact that I am an electrical engineer? :-p

Xeros612 said:

the most simplified, consolized Elder Scrolls game ever a higher rating than Morrowind.

What you've said here is definitely true, but I still think that the rating Skyrim got was in comparison to newer games and it's still a great game, even if it's not as good as the originals.

(Just wish there were spears:)

PS The Hive was awesome, it's just a computer game, anyone who tries to get on a higher moral ground over a game's politically incorrect humor can go fuck themselves for all I care. If it was something that happened in real life, then sure you'd have ground to stand on.

DoomUK said:

This is from a guy who has made not one but several vocal recordings of the Doom comic in various different tones and accents, devotes his life to exploring ...

I felt certain that the word "anus" was going to follow soon. But you went for the not-so-low-hanging fruit. Regarding suits, I'm glad I don't have to wear them.

Craigs said:

MORROWIND SHOULD HAVE A HIGHER SCORE THAN EVERYTHING.

Higher than Shitrim at the very fucking least.

Mr Freeze said:

Oh man, you Morrowind fanboys are all the same. "WAH NO SPEARS WAH FAST TRAVEL WAH I SHOULD BE ABLE TO BREAK THE GAME EASILY". Move on, ffs.

For all people here bitch about shooters of all genres being simplified and consolised, it's more than a bit strange to see an absolute lack of giving a shit when a far more complex genre is simplified and consolised so all the kiddies don't have to worry about stats or learning how the game works or actually having to work for a good character. Oblivion at the very least had the decency to keep classes and attributes and to not be fully consolised. You know, to be an Elder Scrolls game in more than setting.

Xeros612 said:

For all people here bitch about shooters of all genres being simplified and consolised, it's more than a bit strange to see an absolute lack of giving a shit when a far more complex genre is simplified and consolised so all the kiddies don't have to worry about stats or learning how the game works or actually having to work for a good character. Oblivion at the very least had the decency to keep classes and attributes and to not be fully consolised. You know, to be an Elder Scrolls game in more than setting.

I liked Skyrim and thought it was fairly enjoyable. I never really liked Oblivion, though, since it just felt... weird. The world felt very dead, especially in comparison to Skyrim. What does Morrowind have that Skyrim doesn't that makes it so much better?

I'm not looking to argue, but I really don't know, and the Elder Scrolls wiki doesn't really have a central location to contrast the games.

In my current game, Duke just told an enemy, "I'm gonna kill you OLD STYLE!" This is a reference to a Ventrilo Harassment clip in which a kid's mom on a Ventrilo server is tormented by a guy using a Duke Nukem 3D soundboard. She eventually screams, "I'm gonna kill you motherfucker, OLD STYLE!" She's later reduced to a whimpering mess from the constant Dukespeak she's being assaulted with.

So, best reference ever?

That's pretty funny. That has to be the best Vent harassment ever, and possibly the best references ever.

I can picture the team at 3DRealms all sitting around watching Youtube videos. You need something to do between barbeques and WoW sprees.

$5 is about £3.20. Knowing the game like I do, I'd snap it up in a flash for that price. I have to admit I feel a bit cheated buying it for £40 or so like I did back when it first came out, but I just had to play it. I'd probably be happy getting it for about £25 or so, in all honesty. It's good for a couple of playthroughs on high difficulties, with enough stuff to find to keep you busy for a while. It's also entertaining enough to carry it's own play time comfortably (for me).

Xeros612 said:

For all people here bitch about shooters of all genres being simplified and consolised, it's more than a bit strange to see an absolute lack of giving a shit when a far more complex genre is simplified and consolised so all the kiddies don't have to worry about stats or learning how the game works or actually having to work for a good character.

Shooters are not RPGS. The fuck you on, kiddo?

Xeros612 said:

Oblivion at the very least had the decency to keep classes and attributes and to not be fully consolised. You know, to be an Elder Scrolls game in more than setting.

Nobody *smart* ever picked classes in an Elder Scrolls game. Custom classes were the standard, providing you didn't want to gimp yourself. What did we lose?

also

>He thinks attributes meant anything outside of meaningless numbers for neckbeards to sperg over!
>laughingthalmor.jpg