Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sharessa

The Hobbit Trailer Released

It looks like they've finally released a trailer for the first Hobbit movie. Here you go:

Are you excited? Because I'm excited. In fact, I've never been so excited. Except for maybe that time I saw the entire LotR trilogy back-to-back-to-back.

Danarchy said:

Are you excited?

I certainly am.

Nitpick the LOTR movies all you want, they were outstandingly well-produced films that, in my opinion, told a better story than the books did. They definitely rank amongst my most loved movies of all time. Peter Jackson and WETA are the only people qualified to bring The Hobbit to the big screen. Can't wait for December 2012.

I definitely can't wait. Have they released images/production clips of how Smaug looks? The first time he shows up will be as impressive, if not more so, than the Balrog coming on to screen in Fellowship.

meh trailer.
there are tons of great things i am hoping are in this film.
we shall see.

silmarillion...that is what i want.
the hobbit cartoon is already extremely badass.

Very nice, have been waiting on a trailer for this. Can't wait.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

I definitely can't wait. Have they released images/production clips of how Smaug looks?

I may be wrong, but I believe the hobbit is being split into 2 movies. With that, smaug would be in the second. So we probably won't see anything on him for a while.

Quast said:

I may be wrong, but I believe the hobbit is being split into 2 movies. With that, smaug would be in the second. So we probably won't see anything on him for a while.

Yeah but they are filming them together like the LOTR trilogy so I figured 'why not?'.

I was fairly skeptical of a Hobbit movie, but seeing this trailer just made me fangasm. In my pants.

...okay, orgasm.

In my pants.

I have no self control.

Seriously, though, the dwarves alone look fucking sweet.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

Yeah but they are filming them together like the LOTR trilogy so I figured 'why not?'.

I can't see them rushing the creation of such an iconic character long before the first movie has even been released. This isn't George Lucas and ILM; Weta actually care about what they're putting on screen.

EDIT: Edited for unnecessary capitalisation of "Weta".

O DAM SON, shit just got real.

Oddly, I was never able to read through the LotR books without getting bored partway through, yet I remember enjoying The Hobbit immensely when I read through it. Either way, damn good to see this finally appearing. :)

I sure hope it doesn't disappoint. This is perfect to see with my brother so I'm gonna have a good time regardless.

Read The Hobbit and LOTR as a teen back in the 70s and was able to talk Mom into reading them next. She loved 'em so this is what became my little brother and sister's bedtime story, reading a little each night. Mom was real good about reading to us.

Xaser said:

I was never able to read through the LotR books without getting bored partway through

That's kind of what I meant by the movies telling a better story than the books. Of course, some things in the books weren't quite captured in the movies or weren't present at all (e.g. Tom Bombadil), but overall they have a much better structure to them somehow without losing the essence of the original material.

...Or maybe I'm just more of a movie geek than a bookworm.

LOTR movies were strickly a one-time entertainment for me. i enjoyed it, i certainly think it'd be hard to find anyone more competent than jackson to do it tastefully... but i'd rather go mow the lawn than rewatch them, simply because even after all the story-cutting and character removing (glorfindel only got removed to give fucking liv tyler more screentime, blargh), they're still drawn out and have many boring parts. or maybe because of the cuts? i dunno, but the last ~hour of the return of the king was a cringeworthy yawnfest. and don't get me started on the 'massa frohdoh' idiocy, randall was so right about that in clerks 2, heh.

so i look forward to the hobbit, but i fully expect it to entertain me and partially disappoint me again.

Well, the books describe a fantasy world instead of just being a story. You can literally get lost in them, and I mean that in an enjoyable way. There's no rushing the plot along because you have to fit it inside a 4 hour window (or however long each movie was), there's the poetry, the songs, the backstories and history, pretty much an entire fantasy world...

I also read the Akira graphic novels instead of watching the anime version (and don't plan to watch it). With the books, I could relish every scene, at my own pace. Sometimes the images were so beautiful and intricate that I spent many minutes on a single page, even wondering about the meaning of some background details.

There is a series of "making of" videos for the Hobbit that came out months ago, and some of the rolling New Zealand vistas, and all of the passion of the cast and crew nearly drove me to tears. It's very clear to me that everyone working on this movie really cares about the Hobbit and is probably amazed that they're working on this project. If you liked the LOTR movies at all, I can assure you that you will also like these two films.

I'm sure some of you are pretty pumped up about the trailer, so let me link you to the production blogs:

PS, watch those in HD on as big a screen as you have available. As to talk about the Silmarillion... that seems like a very hard one to transfer to film, because its narrative isn't quite so... linear. Or at least it lacks consistent characters to identify with. It's more like a history book than an epic quest. I don't disagree that it would be interesting to watch, but I think it would be more akin to something like Akira Kurosawa's Dreams than something like Star Wars. And those artsy atmospheric movies just don't sell tickets--the Silmarillion's script would need to be mangled in order for any studio to touch it with a ten foot pole.

Really looking forward to this.

The dwarves look awesome. Right now I've seen enough and won't be looking at new info and viewing more trailers n stuff.

DoomUK said:

I can't see them rushing the creation of such an iconic character long before the first movie has even been released.

Can you honestly tell me that in October/November/December of 1999, Weta had nothing conceptualized for the Balrog? I'd be amazed if they hadn't. Granted, I agree we probably won't see anything of Smaug for a while yet, but two years goes by pretty quick on a project like this so it wouldn't be "rushing" but rather taking time to get it right, maximizing efficiency and all that good stuff.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

Can you honestly tell me that in October/November/December of 1999, Weta had nothing conceptualized for the Balrog? I'd be amazed if they hadn't. Granted, I agree we probably won't see anything of Smaug for a while yet, but two years goes by pretty quick on a project like this so it wouldn't be "rushing" but rather taking time to get it right, maximizing efficiency and all that good stuff.

They did, however change the design of Gollum between Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers. You don't get a very good look at him in FotR, but it's fairly obvious they did change a few things. That was like 2 years after they had finished filming, so yeah.

I'm holding off watching the trailer. I want the movie to be totally fresh. Although it's unlikely I'll close my eyes if the trailer comes on when I go see Tintin.

The Children of Húrin. This is set thousands of years before Elrond and the Dark Lord Sauron, would they make this into a movie? It describes the Dark Lord Morgoth and the dragon he sent out to do evil. I guess this might be a little obscure, but at least they are making a Hobbit film. Bilbo looks a bit like Samwise in the promo shots, but I am sure this will do very well indeed. is the Balrog they fought in the mines of Moria the dragon of Morgoth?

http://www.hmhbooks.com/hmh/site/hmhbooks/bookdetails?isbn=9780618894642

neubejiita said:

The Children of Húrin. This is set thousands of years before Elrond and the Dark Lord Sauron, would they make this into a movie? It describes the Dark Lord Morgoth and the dragon he sent out to do evil. I guess this might be a little obscure, but at least they are making a Hobbit film. Bilbo looks a bit like Samwise in the promo shots, but I am sure this will do very well indeed. is the Balrog they fought in the mines of Moria the dragon of Morgoth?

http://www.hmhbooks.com/hmh/site/hmhbooks/bookdetails?isbn=9780618894642

No, Balrogs are not dragons. The origin of dragons is left unclear by Tolkien, whether they be a natural species or something bred and corrupted directly by Morgoth, but Balrogs are different. Balrogs are lesser Maiar spirits (like Gandalf) who took on the form of malevolent flame. Initially they weren't necessarily evil but it says that they were irresistably attracted to Morgoth's darkness and so served him unerringly.

The Balrog of Moria, who came to be known as Durin's Bane, was buried beneath the Misty Mountains when they were hewn from the earth during the War of Wrath - they didn't exist before then - the War of Wrath was so violent that it reshaped large swaths of Middle Earth, including sending the whole of Beleriand minus a few mountain peaks and the bay at Lindon beneath the sea.

I misread the thread title as "Hobbs's Trailer Released" and I thought that Hobbs was trailer trash and his trailer's brakes failed or something.

Shaikoten said:

It's more like a history book than an epic quest.

I was going to say something like this. "Silmarillion movie" might as well be a nonsense phrase because there's no way you could make a direct adaptation. However, there's certainly a lot of inspiration that one could take from the Silmarillion - it's more like a template for stories than a story itself. I had the impression when reading it that Tolkien intended for other authors to come along and to write their stories within his mythology, so it certainly wouldn't be doing him a disservice to take a character from the Silmarillion and to build a three-hour movie around him. The biggest problem would likely be marketing a Lord of the Rings movie with characters nobody's heard of.

I forget their names but I think that human and elf couple that steals a jewel from the crown of some evil dude and come back to life as two humans should be made into a movie about the power of love and the paradox of knowing your own fate and etc.

Quasar said:
the Misty Mountains when they were hewn from the earth during the War of Wrath - they didn't exist before then

They're a bit older, they were raised by Melkor during the Years Of The Trees to hinder the riding of Oromë. The Eldar encountered them during their march into the West. (See "Of The Coming Of The Elves" in the Silmarillion)

Creaphis said:

I forget their names but I think that human and elf couple that steals a jewel from the crown of some evil dude and come back to life as two humans should be made into a movie about the power of love and the paradox of knowing your own fate and etc.

Beren and Luthien? I think that was their names...

Creaphis said:

I'd pick that or the life of Turin.

Quasar said:

No, Balrogs are not dragons. The origin of dragons is left unclear by Tolkien, whether they be a natural species or something bred and corrupted directly by Morgoth, but Balrogs are different. Balrogs are lesser Maiar spirits (like Gandalf) who took on the form of malevolent flame. Initially they weren't necessarily evil but it says that they were irresistably attracted to Morgoth's darkness and so served him unerringly.

The Balrog of Moria, who came to be known as Durin's Bane, was buried beneath the Misty Mountains when they were hewn from the earth during the War of Wrath - they didn't exist before then - the War of Wrath was so violent that it reshaped large swaths of Middle Earth, including sending the whole of Beleriand minus a few mountain peaks and the bay at Lindon beneath the sea.

Oh, yes I did some reading and corrected the mistake.

Some nice information here: http://www.tuckborough.net/creatures.html.