Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

All /idgames files

I hate to be bringing up a topic that I know has been discussed before but I can't for the life of me find the thread that the discussion was in. I've been searching for hours.

1. I remember reading that all the files on the idgames archive added up to be about three and a half gigs or something. What's the exact size?

2. What's the easiest way to download all the files? I'd like to download them all on to an external hard drive.

9.11 GB (9,783,412,049 bytes) as of 24/12/2011 (Sans idstuff and incoming folders).
As for how it's downloaded? Just use an FTP client like Filezilla. (I use a bi weekly scheduled program called FTPSync, personally).

How large would it be without the redundant (but helpful to the navigating user) text files?

I finished downloading all the maps I wanted, It took about four days. Now I'm just going through the strenuous task of extracting all the ZIP files, and then later going through and deleting all the unnecessary files included.

Instead of deleting the ZIP files, it might be easier to just use a Doom launcher front-end that can handle ZIP format (a common feature even back in 1995).

It would make more sense to find a single WAD you don't care for and delete it than bother deleting a million text files. I haven't done that since I had a 100mb hard drive, and even then it wasn't worthwhile.