Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

What is your opinion on Aliens vs Predator (2010 video game)

I just bought it for $3 on PC via Steam. I'm liking it a lot of ways, but not liking it in a lot of others (maybe I will like it more as the game progresses). I'm 2 hours into the space marine campaign.

So what are the best campaigns? Is multiplayer better than the campaign? Is the game fun or not in your opinion. I'm very curious what the Doomunity thinks since the space marine campaign feels like Doom 3 in a lot of ways. Fighting black creatures in dark futuristic areas (before the jungle) while collecting audio logs.

You didn't tell us which system you were playing it on. PC? XBox? PS3?

I liked it well enough, but never finished it, got maybe 3/4 of the way through on each campaign and then quit. I'm not sure why, I think something else came out that grabbed my attention, and the human campaign became boring pretty fast. You're right, it felt like Doom 3, or any other generic space shooter released in the last 7 years. It didn't quite capture the tenseness and "oh shit was that a facehugger shit shit shit!" the first one had. Maybe just because I've grown so used to "get pistol, get shotgun, use flaslight in dark, something jumps out at you" game design since the original came out.

My favorite was the alien, the same as it was in the old Aliens vs Predator. Their play style is so different from what you usually get, climbing on walls and ceilings, only close range attacks, hiding in the shadows waiting to jump down on someone and bite their head off. I had great fun crawling in and out of vents, jumping from wall to wall, luring enemies to a location only to run around the entire room and jump out behind them. The predator was fun too, even if he felt a bit overpowered and played pretty similar to the marine but with a cloaking device. But yeah, thinking back the only moments I can really remember from that game was when I was playing as the alien. I might have to go back and finish their campaign.

I never played multiplayer, so I can't comment on that.

Stupidly short game which recycled certain elements of the first AvP movie except everything was on another planet. Spot-on visual and audio design, but a very meh game.

Also, who thought it would be a good idea to exclude crouching in a circa 2010 game?

geo said:

Is multiplayer better than the campaign?

MP is as meh as SP. Generic deathmatch/team dm/capture the flag modes as I recall. Fun for 30 minutes but that's it.

Yeah I'm missing crouching and I kind of think the game can bennefit from brief crawling segments. Face huggers in ducts. Human robots in ducts. Maybe there are duct sections in the alien campaign.

geo said:

Maybe there are duct sections in the alien campaign.

Yes there are. But still, not having air ducts during the Marine campaign is pretty fucking retarded.

Danarchy said:

I have a 75% off coupon for this game. Is it worth it?

If you love Aliens/Predator/AvP, sure. It definitely captures the correct atmosphere. Just don't expect anything more out of it than a short, mediocre shooter made for the fanboys.

I really enjoyed this game through and through, sure it had a few flaws, but which modern games don't? The multiplayer was very entertaining when playing with friends and the campaign had an awesome atmosphere to it, down side for me was that I was expecting a longer more substantial campaign, can't see how it gets such a low reviews where-as washed up pieces of reheated shit like CoD get in the 90's

I bought it for 5$ earlier this year and went through the Marine and the Alien campaigns. I thought they were both pretty fun for what I paid for them.. if not a little too short and predictable. I still haven't finished the Predator campaign.

I recommend it for cheap.

I bought it for $3. Its well worth the money. Alpha Protocol for $2 was well worth the money as well. E.Y.E. for $2 has yet to make me want to recommend it :-)

My opinion is greatly improving the more I advance in the Space Marine campaign. I'm past 3 bosses in and I'm liking the enemy variety and atmosphere.

I played multiplayer once... only to discover I couldn't move. The other guy could though.

"Sspoiace Mooreeen?!?" -Orc

I bought AVP2010 cheap on Steam, played a little but left it alone for a while now. Should really just burn through it so I can reclaim my 12GB of hard-drive it's sucking up. High hopes for Colonial Marines though, right?

DoomUK said:

Also, who thought it would be a good idea to exclude crouching in a circa 2010 game?

I sometimes question how effective it really it is to crouch in a fast-paced FPS.

I remember people throwing a fit when you couldn't go prone in Battlefield BC2 I think it was. I'm like man I wish Call of Duty had that. No more stupid snipers and dropshotters laying down. But then I realized I use it a lot too.

vinnie245 said:

It's alright, still think the 1999 PC version is the best AVP game though

x2

GoatLord said:

I sometimes question how effective it really it is to crouch in a fast-paced FPS.

Does it have to be? Being able to stand still and look down at the floor isn't always the best combat strategy, but you can do it anyway. Because you're playing as a human being who can tilt their head down and whose legs have joints which let them crouch.

Besides, as it's been said above no air ducts (in the marine campaign) in an Aliens game is just wrong.

I've been playing through the Alien Campaign which seems to take place in all the same levels as the marines... level by level.

The alien plays a lot differently and sometimes it gets to me with how low the camera is. At least it doesn't get to me how upside-down and sideways the camera can be especially when climbing from the floor to a wall to an overhang to the overhang to the roof of a building...

Since I haven't played as predator yet... this game really seems more like Space Marines vs Xenomorphs... and Predators have a cameo (outside of their own campaign).

I'm not sure I can have high hopes for colonial marines. I'm sure I will still love it, but I love a lot of bad things. I just fear that since this game feels like Duke Nukem Forever when you play as a marine that Colonial Marines will play the same way... since its by Gearbox afterall.

I'm 5 hours in and 65%. I just beat the Alien's campaign. This feels criminally short. The 2 campaigns I have played had you playing the same campaign levels as different characters with different basic objectives.

Maybe I'd have a better taste in my mouth if I played 1 campaign for 8 hours and not 3 campaigns for 2+ hours each. Maybe that's what GearBox is hoping for with Colonial Marines.

I think with some extra level designers (or more time for level designers) they could have doubled the length of the game while still keeping the same story. They could have even added sentry drones for the marines or the ability to set them up anywhere in a few areas. Or had levels long enough for Xenomorphs that require you to harvest people chestburst them and have Xenos to fight along side against a squad of marines or predators where they all die, while you stealth by.

Of course the campaigns could just be built to get you ready for the multiplayer, which I have yet to get into.

I got my $2.50 out of this game :-)