Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Penny Arcade vs Ocean Marketing

Csonicgo said:

So only FPS games are not casual games?

I really hate the term "casual" because it's only pejorative to a bunch of circlejerking trolls that think their opinion matters on places like [H]ARD FORUMS (!!!111oneone) and gaming magazines (which the latter is dying thanks to this bullshit).

Casual games are best described as games that one can play on a train and then go back into normal life at the trainstop.

DoomUK said:

Suppose if enough people dedicated themselves to farting for minutes on end, and got together at events where they attempt to out-fart each other for a trophy or cash prize and the respect of their peers. Are you saying that should be considered a proper sport too?

You just described every heated forum flamewar on the internet.

After all those years, I've come to the conclusion that most of the "competitive" gaming takes place in forum flamewars rather than duking it out in the actual, you know, games.

Furthermore, having a big bragging mouth and an apparently confident/assertive attitude and a penchant for dissing others anyway is just as important -if not more important- as having any actual gaming skills.

Actually, I bet most "competitive" types are only "competitive" in bragging/dissing others and making it appear as if they were somehow superior/better/whatever. And seeing how this actually does work (in the sense that it shuts mouths and ends debates), maybe they have a point, and that's all that's really needed.

Maes said:

Actually, I bet most "competitive" types are only "competitive" in bragging/dissing others and making it appear as if they were somehow superior/better/whatever. And seeing how this actually does work (in the sense that it shuts mouths and ends debates), maybe they have a point, and that's all that's really needed.

yeah, the Doom Speed Demos subsection here is a hellhole where surviving on top of the food chain means daily struggle to out-diss the other guys.

dew said:

yeah, the Doom Speed Demos subsection here is a hellhole where surviving on top of the food chain means daily struggle to out-diss the other guys.

If someone truly is superior in skill/class he usually does not need to concern himself with such pettiness, and the usual sentiment towards him is unconditional respect. That's the "safe pedestal" zone.

The problems start when someone is mediocre/unexceptional/struggling/uncertain of his skills and is considered an "easy mark" by other guys just like him, who try to "gain ranks" and build status, at least superficially. The end result? Everybody feels pressured into "proving himself" and starts acting like everybody else aka like an asshole.

Reminds me how some recruits in the army (all equally-ranked peers, BTW) tried to appear more "spit'n polish" than others by standing into attention in the loudest/most foot-damaging way possible (some over-zealous even managed to fracture his ankle. Good job, idiot!) and acting as "seniors", while in reality they ain't shit :-p

Craigs said:

Is it just me or is the controller's website down?

"This Web page is parked FREE, courtesy of GoDaddy.com"

I'd say they've either joined the exodus from GoDaddy or gone out of business.

Creaphis said:

ITT: We laugh at a public argument between immature twats, then argue like immature twats.

As spectator sports go, watching internet drama play out is probably second only to soccer in terms of popularity.

DuckReconMajor said:

Yeah I laughed at the Geico thing too.

I don't see "Geico" in the paragraphs when searching. Do elaborate.

Danarchy said:

Get away from me you dirty casual

OH NO NO NO NO, THAT'S NOT NEARLY COMPETITIVE ENOUGH!

How about this:

Fuck you fucking casual! You uncommitted, amateur, lazy noobish scrub! What the fuck are you gonna do when I pwn you 50 times in a rocket arena map? Are you simply gonna whine about it in a forum instead of manning up and facing me? If I ever ran accross your sorry ass in a LAN tournament, I'd frag you day and night! Your little sore pussy would get raw and your little ass would clench! I hope that some other 1337 pwn3r3r like me frags your sorry ass someday! GTFO you shitty casual, useless dead beaten and torn carcass hanging from a hook! That's what you are and that's what you deserve to hear! You know that I am better than you and could speak politely if I wanted and it just drives you crazy that I choose not to with you, because that's what you deserve, you fucking dead rotting vulture-eaten corpse! Simple, plain, razor-sharp words slicing your ass! That's what you deserve, that's what you'll get from messing with me you fucking faggotty noob!

Now, THAT'S competitive, no?

(text shamelessly ripped, adapted and translated from here).