Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
djvero

Help with sectors

Here's the deal. I want to create those (small) sectors in which you place a few monsters that get teleported after you cross a line in a different room. However, the problem is I dunno how to do that without actually connecting them, like the maps in Scythe do (which I recently played).

How I do it currently is connecting two different sectors with an extremely small sector which you can't really see while playing, but when you press TAB to look at the map it looks kinda ugly.

Does anyone know how to get this around, so that when you shoot your weapons in one sector the monsters wake up in another sector that's not "physically" connected... I hope this is clear enough.

Thanks in advance

In DB2, you can merge sectors into a single one by pressing J and any sound that goes off in one part of that merged sector will wake up monsters that are in any other part, even if those parts aren't physically connected.

Piece of cake. There's a couple ways of doing it, and all it really takes is an understanding of how monsters activate, or 'hear' the player, and thus starts hunting him down. 'Sound' (gunshot/punch) registers instantly through entire sectors, as long as they are connected by two-sided linedefs (linedef property), and all sectors are at least 1 unit tall. Thus you could have a player shoot his pistol on one side of a huge map, and as long as there's connecting sectors without any closed doors or what have you, a monster all the way on the other side of the map will 'hear' him, even if the sound effect never actually reaches that far.

So knowing this, there's a couple ways to activate monsters in their mini sectors and have them teleport in. You can do it the old fashioned way, which it sounds like you do, by having a slim sector generally out of sight of the player, connecting the main area with the monster box. See e1m9 as an example.

To make this method more appealing on the automap, check out the 'secret' and 'hidden' tags for linedefs. These can make the monster boxes invisible, and the little 'hole' on the main map appear like a normal 1-sided wall.

The slightly more advanced method is to have a free-floating, unconnected monster box that happens to contain a sector also present in the main map. To do this you have to understand what makes a sector, and that's the sector reference # of the linedefs that make up that sector. So if you have two boxes, but all the lines have the same sector reference, it is the same sector. Thus, what 'sounds' are made in one box will be heard in the other.

If you want to do it the easy way, and you are using DoomBuilder 2, just draw your monster box outside of the map. Then select a sector from the main map, and the monster box sector. Hit the 'J' button, for join sector, and presto, it's all one sector. Now what is heard in the sector of the main map will also be heard in the monster box.

I hope this helps!

NaturalTvventy said:

Piece of cake. There's a couple ways of doing it, and all it really takes is an understanding of how monsters activate, or 'hear' the player, and thus starts hunting him down. 'Sound' (gunshot/punch) registers instantly through entire sectors, as long as they are connected by two-sided linedefs (linedef property), and all sectors are at least 1 unit tall. Thus you could have a player shoot his pistol on one side of a huge map, and as long as there's connecting sectors without any closed doors or what have you, a monster all the way on the other side of the map will 'hear' him, even if the sound effect never actually reaches that far.

So knowing this, there's a couple ways to activate monsters in their mini sectors and have them teleport in. You can do it the old fashioned way, which it sounds like you do, by having a slim sector generally out of sight of the player, connecting the main area with the monster box. See e1m9 as an example.

To make this method more appealing on the automap, check out the 'secret' and 'hidden' tags for linedefs. These can make the monster boxes invisible, and the little 'hole' on the main map appear like a normal 1-sided wall.

The slightly more advanced method is to have a free-floating, unconnected monster box that happens to contain a sector also present in the main map. To do this you have to understand what makes a sector, and that's the sector reference # of the linedefs that make up that sector. So if you have two boxes, but all the lines have the same sector reference, it is the same sector. Thus, what 'sounds' are made in one box will be heard in the other.

If you want to do it the easy way, and you are using DoomBuilder 2, just draw your monster box outside of the map. Then select a sector from the main map, and the monster box sector. Hit the 'J' button, for join sector, and presto, it's all one sector. Now what is heard in the sector of the main map will also be heard in the monster box.

I hope this helps!

Yes it certainly does! Ima try out the other methods as well, but the "J" solution seems to be the easiest as I'm indeed using DB2 hehe. Thanks to you as well of course

Make sure those monsters in the box aren't deaf!! Even for skilled mappers this sometimes gets overlooked, leading to at least a few minutes of WHY DON'T YOU TELEPORT IN DARN IT!!! rage.

Yeah I know haha, but making sure monsters aren't deaf in those boxes isn't the only fault I make when mapping sometimes lol