Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Genki

Disabling Cheats

Hello everybody,i was wondering how can i disable cheats in doom, i mean is there a mapinfo setting or a certain entry that does the option?
please help...
well if not, then it would be great that the developpers add such option in map properties..
anyway. thanx in advance.

It's not possible, and I know that the developers of ZDoom at least refuse to implement it. I believe many other source port developers share the same sentiments, at least I'm not aware of any port that allows you to disable them.

you can use a dehacked lump to change the cheats into something rather unguessable. Why would you want to disable cheats anyway?

I could have sworn SPAWN had cheats disabled (had to be activated for next game). Sorta like what DarkPlaces did for Quake, type in sv_cheats or something into the console.

PRIMEVAL said:

I could have sworn SPAWN had cheats disabled (had to be activated for next game).

It does.

Rather than using the traditional Doom skill levels, Spawn uses custom ones via its MAPINFO; all of them use the 'disablecheats' flag.

40oz said:

you can use a dehacked lump to change the cheats into something rather unguessable.

Maybe even change them to an empty string (i.e. '\0')?

Huh. I could have sworn that I had seen a feature to disable cheats turned down in the ZDoom forums one time, but thinking about it a bit harder, that was probably disabling the ability to save at any time.

40oz said:

you can use a dehacked lump to change the cheats into something rather unguessable. Why would you want to disable cheats anyway?

Not in ZDoom. This feature has been intentionally disabled due to popular request years ago.

The reason: Obviously to counter any attempts like this thread one's.

Not to mention that even if IDDQD did get replaced, there's always the console with in-your-face intuitive words like "god".

Graf Zahl said:

Not in ZDoom. This feature has been intentionally disabled due to popular request years ago.

The reason: Obviously to counter any attempts like this thread one's.

What about Hacx?

The Hacx cheat codes could be added (after all, we've got the Chex Quest cheat codes in here), but that's not really important anyway.

Also, even if you disable cheats with the nightmare feature, they can still be forced to be enabled with the sv_cheat console variable.

40oz said:

Why would you want to disable cheats anyway?

<wild guess>
To keep players from cheating?
</wild guess>

I'm not one to play Doom without cheats but I don't get the purpose of standing over your players' shoulders making sure they don't play your wads with cheat codes on.

saifi said:

Okay, i think i will use dehacked to do that

Suit yourself, but keep in mind that it will not work in ZDoom.

Lüt said:

If you disable cheats, I'll disable you.

LOL!

I did try dehacking the cheats, but no chance; i mean i changed the codes and replayed the map, i typed iddqd i went god mode even the new code was "idinvcbl"...is it a bug?

Gez said:

they can still be forced to be enabled with the sv_cheat console variable.

And even requiring that is usually annoying rather than helpful. I wish it was like in Boom, where you can ALWAYS cheat.

Dehacked cheat changes are useful for remapping annoyingly long cheats like idspispopd (or even just commonly used ones in general) to a single keypress for the sake of map debugging, in source ports that don't have a built-in way to bind them to a key. When I'm testing a map I'm working on in Chocorenderlimits, I use a dehacked patch to make idclip and iddqd accessible as Z and G.

saifi said:

I did try dehacking the cheats, but no chance; i mean i changed the codes and replayed the map, i typed iddqd i went god mode even the new code was "idinvcbl"...is it a bug?

I'm afraid not, kiddo. Didn't you read Graf's posts (or read the wiki, for that matter)?

Lüt said:

If you disable cheats, I'll disable you.

"-nocheats" for chocolate-doom and "deh_apply_cheats 0" for prboom-plus

thank you so much. The skill definition works like charm.
and i heard once that there is a sector special in doom that kills instantly, does anyone know about such thing?

You can set up situations that kill the player instantly (e.g. telefrag a voodoo doll), but there isn't a sector type that does this on its own.

Wanting to disable cheats?
Wanting to instakill the player?

Hmmm... Trying to make an annoying mod?