Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Slaughterfest 2012 - NEW Final Final Version is up

Here's the "completed" final areas of DHland. I'm not sure if you'll think the final area is too luck based though as it is really random and the cybies can flatten you if you get cornered. Let me know what you think.

http://www.mediafire.com/?f4n9p1slg4s3ps7

Also, I noticed there's no other difficulty levels, so I can fiddle with that if you don't care to j4rio.

dobugabumaru said:

I'm not sure if you'll think the final area is too luck based though as it is really random and the cybies can flatten you if you get cornered. Let me know what you think.

Yup, it's somewhat luckbased as it is. I'd make just one cyber teleport in per each pressed button.

dobugabumaru said:

Also, I noticed there's no other difficulty levels, so I can fiddle with that if you don't care to j4rio.

Sure, go ahead.

Yo,

I made some tweaks to cb's map01 submission "Exodus" at the request of j4, and I think they turned out well:

http://www.mediafire.com/?n4l78p5u0piwb49

Changes include:
- Two new arenas for the RK and YK that replace the narrow hallway areas.
- Replaced the central area with a RL/imp fight
- Consolidated some thing placements
- Exit pad is now clearly marked as such

Ribbiks said:

Yo,

I made some tweaks to cb's map01 submission "Exodus" at the request of j4, and I think they turned out well:

http://www.mediafire.com/?n4l78p5u0piwb49

Changes include:
- Two new arenas for the RK and YK that replace the narrow hallway areas.
- Replaced the central area with a RL/imp fight
- Consolidated some thing placements
- Exit pad is now clearly marked as such

Yeah that will do nicely :) Cheers for the edits ribbiks
One question, what happened to the custom music :/
Edit -
Heres the final edit
Custom music I chose added back in
Also in yellow key room the stairs have had their textures aligned
http://filesmelt.com/dl/exodus_editagain.wad

I didn't touch the music, so that's strange if the D_RUNNIN lump disappeared. Anyways, glad you approve of the edits, I was slightly uncomfortable modifying the map without consulting you first :)

Anyways, it's officially 2013, is there to be a sf13 thread? I recall TOD said he'd be down for maintaining the next thread aswell, and I'd be willing to do so also.

Ribbiks said:

I didn't touch the music, so that's strange if the D_RUNNIN lump disappeared. Anyways, glad you approve of the edits, I was slightly uncomfortable modifying the map without consulting you first :)

Anyways, it's officially 2013, is there to be a sf13 thread? I recall TOD said he'd be down for maintaining the next thread aswell, and I'd be willing to do so also.

Ah it's fine, I didn't know how long I was going to be away and not have internet. Yeah someone should probably start slaughterfest 2013 :P

Feel free to start an SF13 thread and keep it up to date. Thanks!

The SF12 resource wad isn't ready yet, since it has to be tested with the maps in it. But it can always be added to the SF13 thread later.

I really hope somebody here has at least quarterdecent skills with photoshop or whatever artsy program to replace intro/interpic, mapnames, optionally status bar and stuff.

using screenshots like sf11 that seems like a good lazy easy solution.

who made the cwilv pics last time?

Is there an official story for this yet?

If not can write one for the textfile? I think I have a good idea for one, and it not some generic "teh demons have taken over!!!!!!1111" thing.

Ribbiks said:

using screenshots like sf11 that seems like a good lazy easy solution.

Anything would do. Actually, I don't care about intro/interpics as much as about pics of mapnames + their authors replacing original doom 2 mapnames on interpic screen.

Ribbiks said:

who made the cwilv pics last time?

GoS did all artsy stuff last year.

Processingcontrol said:

If not can write one for the textfile?

Heh, sure.

I think the player's sprite is a bit too bright on that picture, it doesn't blend with the background very well.

Memfis said:

I think the player's sprite is a bit too bright on that picture, it doesn't blend with the background very well.

Microsoft paint sucks :P
If someone has photoshop they could probably recreate this is no time with a better contrasted doomguy

I think player's sprite looks silly no matter which pic it's slapped on. :D

But great idea, phml's map definitely would work like that. BTW, there is another lump which is displayed on top of menu, so there's no need for any text on titlepic.

Who will save us from the lack of art???

CWILVxx
* I'd like to see the final maplist first...
* This time I'd like to leave out the author names and just put the map title, because the "doom small" font actually looks dreadful right next to the "doom big" one, and without creating a font specifically for the project (which is what CC and the other big community megawads do) the neatest solution is to only use one font. Is that a problem for anyone?

TITLEPIC and/or INTERPIC
* @Cannonball -- if you're going to make a picture involving sprites, you should design it in doom and take a shot that way. All the other ways of making pictures like this will give you inconsistencies in the lighting/palette and the perspective, which will be instantly obvious to anyone with more than a passing acquaintance with doom.
* What Phml map is that, anyway? I think I've only played Slaughtenstein and Crimson so far this year. Not really been keeping up with Slaughterfest.
* Personally, I vote we shamelessly reuse the titlepic I made last year, since it's reasonably well-presented and it evokes slaughtermap imagery without descending into power metal cheesiness (like the old titlepic candidates by "thespazztikone").
* I did also try a few others last year, including anatomical diagrams of human skulls, pages of goetic symbols, and a couple of shots of quasi-gothic architecture, but they were all rejected by J4rio and Phml. One of these might be worth considering as an interpic or an endpic, I guess?

Status bar and status bar font
* I plan to have a go at another of these. Last year's was pretty awful in retrospect. Too light, lacking texture, dividing lines are missing, too flat, blotchy, font is a weird color... etc, etc, etc. I was planning on making something simpler, but clearer. I have in mind a metallic theme, but it may not turn out like that. I thought I'd mention this in case anyone else was making a status bar, or in case anyone's opposed to it.

"Power Plant"/Total Recall Remix/whatever
I doubt anyone was waiting with baited breath for news of this map, but, even so I do have news -- I made a lot of progress, but I also started redesigning it to fit a different project of mine. So although I've fixed some issues people mentioned (circling, etc) it isn't going to be ready in time, and I probably wouldn't be submitting it to sf anyway. Sorry. Luckily, you guys aren't short of maps. I considered quickly making a new one to submit instead, but I don't really have the time or energy.

In other news, I finally got an actual mouse (I've been playing with a touchpad since sometime in 2008...) and a lot of my old maps now seem kinda easy. If I ever actually finish a map, you guys are in trouble.

lols, yeah it was pretty rubbish. It was slaughtenstein btw. It's at the start, I thought the view of the huge castle up ahead would be good for one of the pics needed for the wad. Sort of giving the sense of dread of the massive task ahead. The power metal thing is definitely cliche.

Grain of Salt said:

Who will save us from the lack of art???

Our inner artistic spirits are clearly lost in oblivion. Only you can redeem us!

Grain of Salt said:

CWILVxx
* I'd like to see the final maplist first...

01  cannonball         Exodus
02  Death Egg          Cashews
03  Ribbiks            Island of Mystery
04  darkreaver         Pure Hate
05  cannonball         Fortress of Damnation
06  Phml               Trifling
07  Kyka               KykaMap07 (looks like placeholder map name...?)
08  dannebubinga       Tingsryd
09  cannonball         Core Annihalation
10  cannonball         Total Recall
11  Rayzik             Warborn
12  Rayzik             Unleash the Fire
13  Archi              Damned Legion
14  Phml               Twobox
15  GRB/j4rio          Doomherolandia
16  Ribbiks            Electric Wizard
17  Bloodite Krypto    Last Cup of Sorrow
18  darkreaver         Damnation
19  TimeOfDeath        Split Wide Open
20  cannonball         True Grit
21  Rayzik             Walk With Me in Hell
22  cannonball         Royale Arena
23  TimeOfDeath        Castle Lava
24  GRB/j4rio          Bane's Atrium
25  elmle              Fourtress
26  Phml               Crimson
27  Armoured Blood     Decimal Error
28  Phml               Slaughtenstein
29  TimeOfDeath        Degrassi
30  Ribbiks            Anathema
31  gggmork            sworf
32  TimeOfDeath        Brookhaven Hospital
33* Processingcontrol  BoomTown
34* Armoured Blood     Hard Contact
35* TimeOfDeath        KSP

* - map order of these depends on midis, I brought this up before
It's a bit altered.

Grain of Salt said:

* This time I'd like to leave out the author names and just put the map title, because the "doom small" font actually looks dreadful right next to the "doom big" one, and without creating a font specifically for the project (which is what CC and the other big community megawads do) the neatest solution is to only use one font. Is that a problem for anyone?

Surely it isn't. Do as you see fit.

Grain of Salt said:

TITLEPIC and/or INTERPIC
* Personally, I vote we shamelessly reuse the titlepic I made last year, since it's reasonably well-presented and it evokes slaughtermap imagery without descending into power metal cheesiness (like the old titlepic candidates by "thespazztikone").

No problem with that.

Grain of Salt said:

* I did also try a few others last year, including anatomical diagrams of human skulls, pages of goetic symbols, and a couple of shots of quasi-gothic architecture, but they were all rejected by J4rio and Phml. One of these might be worth considering as an interpic or an endpic, I guess?

I like the scenery from cb's screenshotitlepic, I'd have voted for using that scenery as a base for interpic, although with 100% less player sprites.

Grain of Salt said:

"Power Plant"/Total Recall Remix/whatever
I doubt anyone was waiting with baited breath for news of this map, but, even so I do have news -- I made a lot of progress, but I also started redesigning it to fit a different project of mine. So although I've fixed some issues people mentioned (circling, etc) it isn't going to be ready in time, and I probably wouldn't be submitting it to sf anyway. Sorry. Luckily, you guys aren't short of maps. I considered quickly making a new one to submit instead, but I don't really have the time or energy.

Aww. Sf12 without your contribution would be just incomplete whatsoever. I'm not too fond of one of darkreaver's submission currently on 4th mapslot (he either) so you'll have a mapslot waiting for you if you by any chance decide to change your mind.

Just about only issue now that apparently nobody has a clue about is to what extent can you manipulate what midis are played in maps placed to mapslots 33, 34 and 35. Mapslot 33 shares text midi, 34 titlepic midi, 35 interpic midi. 2 out of 3 maps placed to 33-35 have already own custom midis. 1 of them isn't a problem as it can harmlessly share text midi, but the other of two has to share either titlepic or interpic midi. 3rd of those 3 maps is without any midi. I'm quite puzzled by this, to be honest.

j4rio said:

Just about only issue now that apparently nobody has a clue about is to what extent can you manipulate what midis are played in maps placed to mapslots 33, 34 and 35. Mapslot 33 shares text midi, 34 titlepic midi, 35 interpic midi. 2 out of 3 maps placed to 33-35 have already own custom midis. 1 of them isn't a problem as it can harmlessly share text midi, but the other of two has to share either titlepic or interpic midi. 3rd of those 3 maps is without any midi. I'm quite puzzled by this, to be honest.

What about MUSINFO?

j4rio said:

I like the scenery from cb's screenshotitlepic, I'd have voted for using that scenery as a base for interpic, although with 100% less player sprites.

I couldn't see it very well in the page linked. I guess I should load it into doom to get a proper feel of what it looks like. Is it already in the right palette?

j4rio said:

Aww. Sf12 without your contribution would be just incomplete whatsoever. I'm not too fond of one of darkreaver's submission currently on 4th mapslot (he either) so you'll have a mapslot waiting for you if you by any chance decide to change your mind.

I'll try to get a map out at some point in the next day or two, but I'm not making any promises.

j4rio said:

I don't think there is any way to specify different MIDIs for those maps. You could dehack the string that refers to those maps, but it would change the intermission/endlevel/title music as well. Why not just arrange the maps so that the music works for both the places it will play? The music for Degrassi would work quite well for the intermission text screens, for example.

Ignore all that. As tempun said, MUSINFO would certainly work, if you're patient enough to set it up. As far as I can see, it's kind of like the sky transfer thing in terms of compatibility -- it isn't exactly a complevel 9 thing, but in practical terms all the complevel 9 ports that people are actually likely to use should be compatible with it.

tempun said:

What about MUSINFO?

Instead of placing things in the map to change the music, is it possible to change the default midi using this?

MAP01
0 D_MESSAG

MAP02
0 D_EVIL

etc.
Btw, I don't care what music plays on KSP.

Oh, I see. Yeah, that's a cool building, but kind of an unflattering angle, I think...?

Also... Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Hell music. I've been meaning to use that in a map myself, actually. For some time now.

Yeah probably everything possible with that shot is wrong. Though I feel getting a good shot of it and being able to convert it nicely would result in an awesome titlepic or interpic.
Yeah, I found this midi when playing epic 2 by eternal. It fits the alien tech/city base the map is in and I thought it suited this map too.

Anathema v3

- numerous edits / bug-fixes, mostly to YK/RK areas
- added some more monsters to final area
- miscellaneous detailing
- reject table
- new midi

not final version, I still need to implement difficulty settings and do a little bit more detailing. I might change a bit more stuff in the BK/final areas as well.

Finally decided to take a look at this thread, heh.

Ribbiks, I load Anathema v3 in my PRBoom with the SF2011-V8 texture .wad and I still get missing textures. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but someone correct me if I am.