Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Slaughterfest 2012 - NEW Final Final Version is up

Oops.

I meant the room with BFG (in which you open up the room with RK). A teleport should connect the very first room and this big one, otherwise you can get locked out.

On an unrelated note, I noticed there's unnecessarily high amount of revs teleporting to that ledge around first room after you pick up RK.

I shall fix the problem with map 1 (door to the yellow key room is marked S1 which causes a problem in coop if the person who goes in there alone dies. I will make is SR or add a teleporter so people can access the room. I will do this whenever GOS finishes with the detail changes which are supposedly happening.

Watching danne's max, I kinda thought that second to last encounter in royale with bunch of cybers in room held by blocky line could be very mildly different. When you open up the front door, more openings could be revealed to that inner sanctum so you won't have to shoot cybers just from that one side and it would also add infight possibilities. It's really just minor unnecessary optional thing, whether you feel like implementing is up to you.

Mhm, also I think somebody should start bothering kyka a bit. :p

I'm not a huge fan of map07, largely because the beginning is duplicate iwad content... what changes we're you going to suggest?

If you imply copyrights, those are such an unbelieveable mess that it's not really worth getting into debate about.

From gameplay perspective, I thought it's witty. It's a while since I played it and I recall barely anything I had in mind previously. There was main problem with secrets being impossible to trigger and excessive amount of them, then to test map with BFG flagged just for lower difficulties and last encounter was a somewhat sucky one. Nothing else I recall.

Any idea how to take care of map 28? That's pretty much the last thing I'm rather puzzled about.

I don't really care either way. Personally I think current 31 would be out of place in just about any slot besides as it is along with current map 32. But, whatever.

Ribbiks said:

swap 28 <--> 31

Sworf seems like a bad fit for MAP28, though

And if it's not way too late to be talking about this, I think Hard Contact would fit better in the main set (01-32) than several of the maps that are there already (Cashews, Pure Hate, Bane's Atrium and Fourtress for example...)

The idea behind maps placed currently to 33-35 is that they have spamBFG throughout notable portion of map. Map 30 didn't have it at first and ended up having it implemented just because the finale turned out rather crude without it. No other maps use dehacked weapon besides these, thus the sorting.

Oh, right. I guess that makes sense.

How would you feel about Slaughtenstein as MAP15?

EDIT: Btw, it would be pretty easy to give the "spam BFG" a proper pickup message in dehacked/BEX. Would anyone mind if I did that?

That one also happens to have secret exit section, so moving it would create the same effect as what is now with Slaughtenstein.

I can't really see any alternative but to put Slaughtenstein in MAP31. It's either that, or just delete the secret exit. You can't really edit the map so that the actual required route changes after all the updates Phml made to get it exactly the way he wants it.

Also, I made an edit to my above post, in case you missed it.

Grain of Salt said:

Sworf seems like a bad fit for MAP28, though

hmm, is there any map in your opinion that would satisfy:

map28 --> map 31

mapXX --> map28

map31 --> mapXX

?

Not really. If I were moving 31 and 28 like that (and not using the infinite bfg maps) I would move Sworf down to the low teens and push everything above it up a slot. Just because of difficulty, really.

But sworf IS hard, if not more than vast majority of wad. :p It just creates the challenge in a radically different way.

Another idea... ignore it? Secret exit just works like normal exit if not in specific mapslot, right?

Grain of Salt said:

EDIT: Btw, it would be pretty easy to give the "spam BFG" a proper pickup message in dehacked/BEX. Would anyone mind if I did that?

Cool. If it's possible, the chainsaw sounds could also be muted?

j4rio said:

Another idea... ignore it? Secret exit just works like normal exit if not in specific mapslot, right?

No, it'll send you to the same level again, or to MAP01, or a different earlier map, depending on stuff. You could make it a normal exit linedef though?

Or a unique sound effect that matches the weapon maybe? That would work better if there are any suggestions. If not I'll just mute it, as you say.

j4rio said:

But sworf IS hard, if not more than vast majority of wad. :p It just creates the challenge in a radically different way.

Nope I thought it would take you to map31, but when I played through it the secret exit took you to map1. :P
You could mark the secret exit as a normal exit to be honest. Or add some sort of silly easter egg.

After thinking it through a bit, I think map 28 can be solved to contain one exit with just some action/tagging replacements.

- The secret switch will open up just invul wall, not the crusher room.
- The switch that sets off crusher atop Romero and exits map will open up the said room (and not trigger ending of map).
- The secret exit will not instantly end map, but instead set off Romero crusher and teleport you somewhere where you can clearly see the explosion.

The only difference from current version would be that crusher room will become mandatory to visit.

I can't even open map28 in doom builder, but I played it with -nomonsters. I got to a spot where I pushed a switch in a long room in front of a long translucent green texture, and you could see romero heads exploding behind the translucent texture.

Is that the secret exit?

I think everyone should have complete creative/artistic/design freedom over their own map and the creator of 28 may or may not want to alter it. Even in medium difficulty megawads, the only significance of a map number to me is what to type after "idclev" or "-warp", only considering the maps individually from a pistol start, paying little attention to the "big picture" of map order. That's especially the case for this megawad because the maps are hard and probably nobody will play them all in order. With so many unique mappers/maps, there's unlikely to be a cohesive overall uniting map sequence, except maybe increasing difficulty. I don't even think increasing difficulty should be deliberate, like purposely making easy maps to fit early slots. They should all just come out swinging (but individual mappers make maps of varying difficulty anyway).
I think sworf should go right in map 1. Actually have 2 megawads, 1 called slaughterfest2012, which contains only my map, and then another called slaughterfest2012rejects, which contains all the rest. Huh? Huh? Also I deem myself eternal benevolent (or possibly malevolent) megawad project leader & CEO President Extraordinaire, so this must happen.

Annnnnd that's why I'll probably distance myself from sf13. Feel free to fit maps in there however you see fit and use as bizarre gameplays as you wish, I won't say a word and just FDA, or something. I kinda regret bothering with this to the point I did. If you feel like breaking apart mapslots I thought of, go right ahead.

Is that the secret exit?

That's normal exit.

I'm just trolling/joking. As you were, please ignore my post and don't distance yourself from sf13 etc bla bla, heh heh.
Sincerely, penisfish avatar

You're kinda right though.

E: Can anybody get to work what I thought of about 28? Somehow DB doesn't want to save and just crashes for me (Anti-editing measurements, I suppose). Also, there's this reject table thing which I have no idea what is and does and how it's done, but apparently has some benefit if it's implemented so it could be done for 28 as well.

I don't know but think it might be a "nodebuilder" problem, like change it to "zennode" or something. Actually I remember you might have to use some sort of node builder software separately in the command line or something, I've never done it and don't know if that would work. Maybe use db2 vs db1.