Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Slaughterfest 2012 - NEW Final Final Version is up

Yeah I have version E put together already, I forget all the exact changes but I'm pretty sure I got everything. I'd settle on just using current map01. I think j4 was interested in having some changes made to fourtress but I've been too lazy to investigate. If desired I can just post E and we can be done with this

Yeah, 25 in that E has some texture bug, but what's bugging me is that whole BK section kinda horrendously sucks. Since it's getting changed anyway, I was hoping some kind soul would have a look at it.

Another thingie, in map 20 there are coop teleporters not set to block monsters so there's a constant stream of monsters getting teleported to last room once you get in, which is sort of stupid. There's no demo for 20 anyway.

Have you checked if demos play back with E?

Also, I'd wait off for that map 1 or at least a word from GoS that it won't be done for whatever reason before releasing.

Hey I was on the fence about posting a new thread but I figured id post here. I love what you guys are doing here and even though I dont think I have it in me to make a slaughter map yet, and seeing as though the slaughterfest series is blowing up in popularity, id like to at least offer my services in some other medium to help promote the project. What do you guys think about exclusive slaughterfest textures? I could make completely new original stuff or I could make doom 2 variants. I think given the size of these levels youre in dire need of huge bricks and mountainous textures that dont tile much along with some big centerpiece decoration textures like marblefaces and stained glass and stuff. I see slaughterfest has a lot of themes like grungy brown quake style, mayan/aztec jungle, super techbase, and egypt themes too so ill be concious of that. Ill whip up some examples to show sometime this week.

interesting 40, glad you're interested in the projects :)

this set is pretty much wrapped up, but of course sf2013 is in progress, so that might be a good place to submit some resources. Or were you envisioning starting a completely new project with a consistent set of textures throughout?

Thanks for the encouragement TimeOfDeath! I'm working on it, and I hope to come up with some sick slaughters for UAC Ultra 2 when I get around to it!

But yes, I was actually thinking of creating a unique texture pack for Slaughterfest 20xx for all the slaughtermappers to use. I was thinking at first just BTSXing it and making an entire texture pack to use exclusively, but I think that could put a hamper on people's individual styles.

But I feel as though Slaughterfest deserves it's own visual identity beyond the sheer monster quantity, and I feel like Community Chest 4 and Gothic Deathmatches textures aren't making it look as distinguished as it should.

I've been kinda bouncing some ideas around in my head. Most of the maps aren't super visually compelling (for good reason) so naturally you'd need textures that can easily be slapped anywhere and are easy to use. I think you guys need big textures more than anything else, but of course some simple details and stuff too, with large decorative centerpieces (kinda like that huge mural in the cathedral of Deus Vult MAP03)

I was wondering what kind of unique themes you guys would like to work with. A lot of the maps say to me "This is the end of your Doom journey" so I'm thinking some really deep disturbing "Adrian Carmack x 100" stuff. Human landfills, Stretched out skin, evil symbols, crucified people, impaled people, tortured demons, blood splattered walls, entrails on the floor, etc.

I can tell you guys like gothic/quake/grungey castles too, so I'll definitely work on some dirty bloodstained bricks, decorative borders, etc. I'll try to sketch out some demonic faces too to use as marbleface textures and statues and stuff. Some new Gothic Deathmatches looking stuff could help too. Inverted crosses, dead plants, metal spikes, window frames, scratched up wood,

Given the orthogonal design of most of the maps, I also think it would be cool to have some Burning City themes. Barbed wire, chainlink fences, big bricks, demonic writing, smashed windows, maybe an animating window texture with fire behind it. I'll have to think more about it though.

Although I'm a fan of these styles in particular (They match a lot of deathmetal album art that I like) I don't want to isolate people by only making melancholic dark grays and brown looking textures though. I'll make some more colorful themes too. I just want to complement your level designs the best I can.

What other unique texture themes would you guys like to incorporate in your maps? I think Egypt/Desert would be a winner. I also think you guys might like some new Jungle/GardenBase textures too. What else do you guys want? Space Stations? Arctic Tundra? Tropical Vacation? Don't be afraid to share your outlandish ideas. (I don't know if you guys actually feel this way but) I don't want you guys to feel like the designs of your maps are being hindered by your lack of textures catered to the styles of the map you guys choose to create. I think your slaughter maps deserve a nice and unique art design to support your unique style of gameplay.

Random opinion as the guy who hasn't contributed anything for a year but butts in when free resources are offered: personally, more than any particular theme I like textures with low noise and high contrast. You want those hordes of monsters to be easy to see, to pop out at a distance so you can read the whole environment at a glance. I find I tend to like one-color textures with simple looks most because they can be used as a horizontally and vertically tiling block, and the resulting monotonousness makes it easier to build contrast for visual hints and such.

That brick texture from GOTHICTX - the one with three variants, dark brown, dark grey and grey is the perfect example. You can slap this bad boy everywhere, and it actually looks decent (there's just that one slightly more pronounced black recess that makes the repetition stand out if you stop and look; my solution so far has been "don't stop and look"). Then you throw some detail around to highlight specific points and paths, and you're good to go.

Another advantage of simple textures is you have some freedom to interpret them as you wish and they can feel at home in various settings.

Your UAC Ultra 1 and 2 textures are pretty good on that front so I'm not too worried. Although these textures are just a little more noisy than I'd prefer at times, but that's nitpicking.

Truth be told I feel my own inability to think of original and cohesive visual themes beforehand (as opposed to just trying random textures in the first room until something sticks) is more of a stumbling block than lack of resources. When you take a peek at Sunder, there's an impressive amount of distinct looks achieved with few textures.

It's the whole research part that's supremely tedious, mixing and matching assets from various sources until you find combos where the differences in art styles don't clash. Perhaps a common texture pack from one person would indeed help in that respect, even if the themes aren't widely different from the usual doom and gloom gothic stuff.

Can't think of times I've actually wished for specific textures I couldn't find... Perhaps more of the same, really. I kinda like Lovecraft-ish vibes and much of Quake fits the bill, but even more variation on that same theme couldn't hurt. Outlandish designs, runes and shapes and stuff. But then, that might be a lot of work for little return, and making something entirely new and different might make more sense.

Hi. I did a FDA.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/shith12.lmp

The very end with MM and gimmicky secret felt a little weird. And the starting room as it is feels rather luckbased. I like it, but I'm not sure if it should replace map 1 here, mainly because it feels like a completely different map. That is, I think it would be for the best if you submit it to sf13 as exodus remix. How about that? Besides, it's half of 2013 anyway.

hot damn GoS, the visuals in that look amazing :) I like how you kept the basic idea of each area, but ran with it in different directions. The difficulty is certainly cranked up, and for that reason I agree with j4 that instead of replacing sf12_map01 this would make an excellent entry for sf13. It's definitely 'remixed' enough to be considered it's own map imo

a few very minor visual things:
- rev pedestals in first room, as well as baron/rev closets in BK room are very short, so enemy sprites clip through the ceiling

Thing 379 (cacodemon) was stuck in the wall meaning the monster could not move when I played the map.
It is certainly a lot different to either my first version of the map and Ribbik's edit. Whatever is best for the project anyway on which version makes the final idgames cut of this wad. I'm not overly fussed either way so whichever version everyone prefers should be the one which makes it in.

j4rio said:
The very end with MM and gimmicky secret felt a little weird.

Yeah, that part, along with a couple of others, is very new, and the gameplay is still underdeveloped I guess.

And the starting room as it is feels rather luckbased.

You don't seem to die to it that often, though...? And you'd die even less if you started by walking only a little way in, turning sharply and killing one of the chaingunners nearest the door.

I like it, but I'm not sure if it should replace map 1 here, mainly because it feels like a completely different map. That is, I think it would be for the best if you submit it to sf13 as exodus remix. How about that? Besides, it's half of 2013 anyway.

Ribbiks said:
The difficulty is certainly cranked up, and for that reason I agree with j4 that instead of replacing sf12_map01 this would make an excellent entry for sf13. It's definitely 'remixed' enough to be considered it's own map imo

Yeah I thought that might be the case. In the case, should I crosspost this to the sf2013 thread? And is sf2012 ready to be finalized then, or is there anything else left to do?

a few very minor visual things:
- rev pedestals in first room, as well as baron/rev closets in BK room are very short, so enemy sprites clip through the ceiling

That's true of every doorway as well, I think. I've just gotten used to not noticing when revenants appear to be in the ceiling.

Grain of Salt said:

Yeah I thought that might be the case. In the case, should I crosspost this to the sf2013 thread?

Yah go for it, if you're cool with that idea then I'll go ahead and update the sf13 OP aswell.

And is sf2012 ready to be finalized then, or is there anything else left to do?

I have version 'E' compiled, the only things I would need to do:

- cb's above fix to True Grit
- texture fix in Fourtress, maybe play around with the BK area so j4 hates it less, maybe
- text-file updates
- map01 MP bugs

If no one has any additional last minute changes I'll go ahead and release it in a day or so.

Well, in case current map 1 isn't getting replaced, there are a couple of multiplayer bugs that can cause stuckage. First door if somebody dies from chainers will cause stucking as well as somebody dying in that plasma gun room after it closes up.

And yeah somebody taking a look at that BK section in 25 would make me happy. (:

There was also a bug in one of the teleport rooms that would sometimes cause some monsters to not be released and make the map un-maxable. I fixed that also.

bump

Also, as for some superfluous stuff, would it be possible to add some midi to 7? Because silent midis are autistic and you can just get them with -nomusic.

sure why not. thus far I've made every change except edits to 25. the HK teles with the invisible wall is among the most pointless things I've seen done in doom. Remind me, what part of that BK area did you find most egregious, the hallway stuff or the AV assrape room?

I couldn't muster the motivation to address j4's complaints about map25 gameplay, so once I make a few bugfixes to those HK teles and organize the wad I'll post a final version. Presumably sometime tonight after I get home from work.