Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

UDoom intermission screens

Heh, for some reason the Inferno intermission screen reminds me of a mix between a Warcraft map and a Mortal Kombat backdrop.

Has anyone made a map on the top of those barren mountains yet? Complete with coordinates (arrows, splat) on the map. Yeah, I know that some console ports place Mt. Erebus there, but I'm not talking about that.

GreyGhost said:

Heh at the cacodemon burial ground, I'd forgotten about that.

That must have been one Hell of a big cacodemon. Maybe it lost the fight for the sovereignty of Inferno to the Spider Mastermind? I can somehow see this happening, with the cheap hitscan damage, large area and low pain threshold....

It seems like the arrows and splats for Mt. Erebus and the Unholy cathedral were meant to be swapped. The map graphics would be more appropriate for the levels if they were.

i would like to see someone make a giant cacodemon boss sprite to be fought in a vast hell desert. perhaps it's made up of a bunch of dead cacos, sort of like this dude.

Most of the intermission maps seem to be just nine random structures. Perhaps that's why they did away with them for Ep 4 and Doom II. I personally thought they were cool regardless, and missed their absence.

dlawrence said:

Most of the intermission maps seem to be just nine random structures. Perhaps that's why they did away with them for Ep 4 and Doom II.

Not only that, but they also rely on a bunch of hacks, hardcoded values and special rules (e.g. the Fortress Of Mystery and Tower of Babel) and require extra artwork to animate, so it would be admittedly be a PITA to create a proper 4th episode intermission screen.

It was one of those things that you either do fully and well (as in the first 3 Episodes) or not at all.

Yes, I remember now that all the map names for these screens were actual graphics, and cutting the letters out to make custom ones for my own WADs.

It would be pretty sweet if someone made a really nice, authentic looking Thy Flesh Consumed intermission map, even if it would be missing the "you are here" arrow. I'd -file it.

dlawrence said:

It would be pretty sweet if someone made a really nice, authentic looking Thy Flesh Consumed intermission map, even if it would be missing the "you are here" arrow. I'd -file it.

Actually, someone did make an intermission map for Thy Flesh Consumed. Unfortunately, it looks like Earth, so it's mundane. Considering E4's overall grim atmosphere, the default twisted INTERPIC faces are much better. It's also the fact that you can no longer see your progress, which works wonders for any final game episode.

That's one of the things I didn't like about Doom II: no cool intermission screens.

Yeah, I understand it wouldn't have been feasible, but no intermissions screens is one of the most disappointing things about E4/Doom 2. I was genuinely upset when I got to E4 for the first time, and I was hoping it was just a glitch or something.

printz said:

It's also the fact that you can no longer see your progress, which works wonders for any final game episode.

More like makes it feel more thrown together. Don't get me wrong, E4 is one of my favorites, but I don't agree with you at all.

Since I usually play multiplayer coop almost exclusively, I hardly ever saw the screens anyway. Someone is going to push 'fire' before you have a chance to see your stats or the map.

hex11 said:

That's one of the things I didn't like about Doom II: no cool intermission screens.

They were essentially a one-time gimmick: there was no scripting or particularly clean/reusable system behind them (at least not anymore clean/reusable than any of the other subsystems).

To make an intermission screen "the way id did" you need to define a big background graphic, a varying amount of animated tiles (with animation info), the location of said tiles, and the locations of the splats. Plus, intermission screens only work in subdivisions of episodes with 9 missions, and "understand" only 3 episodes.

Today it may seem like a trivial task: "Throw a script/XML file at it!" but the Code of Doom this is all done with hardcodings. I'm not sure if DEHACKED allowed altering the intermissions screens to some degree.

hex11 said:

A BIG letdown.

hex11 said:

instead, we got some text for a story. i still found the story interesting, back then. likewise i read the story of evilution and plutonia like it was important to my progress in the game, and the lack of a proper gatekeeper disappointed me. but some more pics in the style of the one with the rabbit would have been better than a wall of text (doomguy holding the bloody head of an imp)

Csonicgo said:

A better question: has anyone made a map based on the small representations of maps on that screen?

now that's really a nice idea for a 9 map episode.

Pirx said:

now that's really a nice idea for a 9 map episode.

But admit it, hardly realisable. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Cell said:

But admit it, hardly realisable. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Definitely wrong. Take a look at any modern mapset and tell me that there's not one person who could pull it off.

Marcaek said:

Definitely wrong. Take a look at any modern mapset and tell me that there's not one person who could pull it off.

i see one castle-like building, one tower reminding of sauron's, one prison-like fort, one kind of chapel, some rocks in the desert... definitely nothing unusual. the most challenging parts would be the buried huge caco und the skull building.

Marcaek said:

Actually I've said "hardly", not "not".

And I do know that there are quite a lot of well-scripted GZDooM+ and Skulltag based, gorgeous and realistic maps in the eternity, but none of them is a concrete representative of any of the buildings, that's the point.