Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DLRArchangel

monsters with no clipping? [allghosts]

i was playing co-op (vanilla doom 1.9 win98) with a friend the other day and suddenly on e1m4 a demon attained no clipping, ran into the wall to flank my friend and came out behind him. at this time, we both also gained the no clipping ability and now both being unable to pick up any health, we quickly died. i attempted to run through the wall to the exit but i was pursued. i have never encountered this in my millions of attempts at playing doom - has anyone else? we didn't know what to do besides laugh.

Not a ghost monster, judging from the description. However, this might be the issue. Mind you, I know very little of Doom's technical issues, so I may be wrong.

Yes, it must have been an intercepts overflow. There's info about that phenomenon in the "Technical Details" section on this page.

Please note that this has absolutely nothing to do with archvile-created ghosts.

Also note that it is incorrect to describe ghost players or monsters as "no-clipping" since there are many features of the map that block their movement.

The only time the allghosts effect can be of use to a player is when there is a "damage/exit if health <10%" sector in the map. If you can get to or near to that, you can exit. No other types of exit work.

Speaking of overflows, when debugging Mocha Doom I had to add a solidsegs_t overflow safeguard in TNT MAP30 when raising the spiral stairs during the Cyberdemon fight, because the solidsegs_t array boundaries are simply broken when looking at that staircase.

Is this known to have any specific long-term repercussions/demo desync issues in vanilla and (almost) 100% compatible ports?

This has happened to me a couple of times. It happened to kimo_xvirus while he just happened to be recording. You can get the lmp here.

Intercepts overflow sounds like doomsday inside Doom. I believe it's irreversible?