Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EinhanderZwei

Project Savior - a Strife-esque TC for ZDoom+FreeDoom

Good day sirs!

I am currently working on an ambitious ZDoom TC called Project Savior. In terms of gameplay it's very close to Strife/System Shock/BioShock, etc. with lots of conversations, scripted events and placing atmosphere and suspense before violence and gunplay. Also, I've decided by emulate the Gears Of War style camera using the weapon sprites.

The demo featuring 5 levels will hopefully hit sometime this week. Currently what's done is 3 weapon types, 2 enemy types and the first map. Here are some screenshots:

Le menu (in case you're wondering, yes it's my face :))

The chaingun

Map 01, VERY VERY raw version

The mod utilizes FreeDoom and HACX resources, and also some public domain graphics and music (of course, all the sources for models/textures/music etc. will be credited)

Expect some quality screenshots a bit later, complete with the gameplay video!

FP!

When I saw your homepage while seeing you make this topic via the "Who's Online" page, I knew this was what you were gonna post, heh. :P

Welcome aboard!

Thanks man! [~])

On other forums I usually spend several posts detailing all about myself, but not here. Let my works speak for myself, I'll add the rest :)

I hope it won't be a TPS WAD...but this is my only problem. Look like a very interesting projcet, I'll wait for the demo.

This is my first experience in mapping, so I'm open for criticism. :) I've also had to cut down some useless overdetails and open spaces to give the whole thing a more compact feel, and I'm aware that the textures are extremely repetitive currently, so that's in the process of fixing

Well, some general advice would be don't be afraid to experiment with height variation. Incorporate multiple height levels in medium and larger rooms which will give you gameplay options as well as letting you do things with the texturing.

However, one thing should be afraid of experimenting with, especially for a first project, is ambitious changes to Doom's basic gameplay style...

EinhanderZwei said:

In terms of gameplay it's very close to Strife/System Shock/BioShock, etc. with lots of conversations, scripted events and placing atmosphere and suspense before violence and gunplay. Also, I've decided by emulate the Gears Of War style camera using the weapon sprites.

... Oops.

Well, good luck anyway.

There is something very interesting and fascinating about these screenshots and the way you seem to control the player. I can`t wait to try out the demo and see what the gameplay is like. 8D

Edit:
I wonder how you made the player character visible. Are you using the Chasecam or is the character just some kind of HUD on top of the screen?

MSPaintR0cks said:

I wonder how you made the player character visible. Are you using the Chasecam or is the character just some kind of HUD on top of the screen?

These are actually weapon sprites, only including the protagonist's body :)

Well, it's good, but I didn't like how I got ambushed by those railgun-touting zombie nurses after flipping the switch next to the one that restores your health in Room 3. After getting killed several times, I found a way to outwit them by running out of the room after flipping that switch. As I did, they were infighting each other to death until there was one left, which I easily took care of.