Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
qoncept

Refresh rate?

I had a buddy over the other night and we played through Doom II. I've been using my laptop without issue but put him on it and played on my desktop.

Before we finished the first level I started getting dizzy. When I couldn't figure out how to set up ALT to strafe (using a Mac keyboard on a PC), we switched and he got dizzy, too. I thought it was from sitting too close to a 24" monitor, but he's convinced the refresh rate is too <i>high</i>.

I've always been under the impression that a higher refresh rate is invariably good (aside from potential syncing issues) and only going too low can make you feel crappy. The refresh rate is at 60hz. Any opinions? As it is, I don't think I can play on the desktop.

Try capping or uncapping the framerate in options if you're using any modern source port.
This could be the reason why you're dizzy.

Thanks, I'll try that out tonight. Hopefully I'll get the strafe key figured out, too. I couldn't find a place to set the strafe toggle key (only left and right strafe, ',' and '.'). Is there a place?

Edit: I'm using zdoom, if it matters. More than willing to switch to a different source port if I need to.

Try "cl_capfps 1" from the ZDoom console. Beware that ZDoom makes no effort to keep a constant 35fps so even when your refresh rate is set to a perfect 70hz, it shall still stutter bad.

70hz would be ideal, but any other multiple of 35 should do.

Keep turning left or right with the keyboard for a while without taking your eyes off the screen. That normally reveals the stuttering after a few seconds, if vsync is on.