Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
betabox

Duke Nukem 3D Ports

What do you guys think of any of the official ports of Duke Nukem 3D? I didn't include any of the mobile/handheld ports (either not the same game or runs off source port), except for Android and iOS.

Duke Nukem 3D (Saturn): Overall, I think this is the best port. Despite the bad choice of music and fewer sound effects, it has most of the levels in the proper order. Gameplay is fine, despite the different engine (though it appears more "3D" in some areas). Graphics are simplified and the levels themselves are watered down. However, good gameplay is ultimately retained. It also features multiplayer (though not the best), including online play.

Duke Nukem Total Meltdown (PS1): A pretty decent port, IMO. Most may say that this is the worst port due to its poor display and bad gameplay. I'd say practice is the key. The new music is great. Overall, this version is the most accurate port of Duke Nukem 3D. That's where the problem is, though, since they fit everything in as much as they can. Controls is probably the main issue, with only 3 preset configs (ironically, "Doomed" is the best config). Every level of the original Duke Nukem 3D is present, plus an extra, almost exclusive 4th episode (Plug N Pray) and it's challenging. Has any conversion of that 4th episode, for PC, been attempted?

Duke Nukem 64 (N64): This is probably my least favorite port. I don't know, it just deviated too much from the original and I didn't like the changes, myself. Plus, controls are harder to get used to than the PS1 version. Levels are arranged in one single episode, like the Saturn, but this one has more changes to the levels overall. Random bits of levels from The Birth are attached to many levels from E1-E3. At least one level is drastically different. There's no music. Multiplayer in this version is the best, though. The most confusing aspect of this game is THE WAY they censored the sexual content.

Well, I personally think the weapons in the N64 version looked badass (especially the pistol) compared to the PC version.

The N64 version would have been GREAT if

a) Nintendo hadn't insisted on being total pussies about the adult content.

b) If they had done some sort of optimization to allow for the damn music and backgrounds to be present

Other than it's actually pretty cool, and effects like the 3D explosions were nice.

GoatLord said:

The N64 version would have been GREAT if

a) Nintendo hadn't insisted on being total pussies about the adult content.

That's because Nintendo had a strict content guideline policy for video games published on its consoles. Former Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi believed that if the company allowed the licensing of games containing adult content, their reputation would forever be tarnished.

When the ESRB and PEGI (respectively) were introduced, Nintendo chose to abolish most of these policies in favor of consumers making their own choices about the content of the games they played. Today, changes to the content of games are done primarily by the game's developer or, occasionally, at the request of Nintendo.

Yeah, but the ESRB was established in 1994, years before Duke 3D was ported or even existed on the PC. It was a bullshit move for Nintendo, at that point, to continue to censor content. Thank goodness they didn't skimp on the gore or demonic imagery when it came to Doom 64.