Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lüt

A religion we can all support

File Sharing Religion: Church of Kopimism Officially Recognized In Sweden

For the Church of Kopimism, information is holy and copying is a sacrament. Information holds a value, in itself and in what it contains, and the value multiplies through copying. Therefore, copying is central for the organisation and its members.

Being recognized by the state of Sweden is a large step for all of kopimi. Hopefully, this is one step towards the day when we can live out our faith without fear of persecution, says Isak Gerson, spiritual leader of the Church of Kopimism.

Copy and seed, blessed disciples.

Creaphis said:

Brilliant. I wonder if kopimists will have a religious exemption from copyright laws.

I hope, in the name of Kopimi, that this will be so.

Creaphis said:

Brilliant. I wonder if kopimists will have a religious exemption from copyright laws.

While I am generally for relaxing copyright laws greatly (mostly, I'd be happy with greatly shortened terms), I can only hope that legislators don't start allowing religious exceptions to the law. I can only see an infinite abyss of slippery slopes resulting from that.

I mean, there are religions out there that advocate for killing heathens, apostates, and women suspected of promiscuity. I don't want these people to get a religious exemption from murder and manslaughter laws.

Creaphis said:

Why would they? What makes them so special? If they were straight Christian priests getting undue exemption from taxes or such, I would have understood. But they're just a sect like any other.

Gez said:

While I am generally for relaxing copyright laws greatly (mostly, I'd be happy with greatly shortened terms), I can only hope that legislators don't start allowing religious exceptions to the law. I can only see an infinite abyss of slippery slopes resulting from that.

I mean, there are religions out there that advocate for killing heathens, apostates, and women suspected of promiscuity. I don't want these people to get a religious exemption from murder and manslaughter laws.

That's a little extreme, don't you think? What government would allow such a thing? Maybe I'm being naive, but who is really crazy enough to give such exemptions? That's not from the Middle East?

Sorry, the government has caught on to the scheme of getting away with illegal activity by calling it religion. Trading little girls into sexual slavery is A-OK, but damnit, they draw the line at downloading.

I knew as soon as I read this in a Swedish paper that it would get blown out of proportion by the US media. Being 'officially recognized' means practically nothing. This is just a stupid media stunt. It's on par with those US sites where you can become a pastor in a few clicks and can then perform "marriages."

Oh, those crazy Swedes. The makers of SMAC were ahead of their time when they made the leader of the pirate faction a Swede.