Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Marcaek

Is there a fixed version of TNT's MAP02 music?

I know modern ports account for the error in this track automatically, but I'd still like to have a fixed version of the actual file if it exists.

Gez said:

There's a bug with TNT's map 2 music that has been fixed recently. (A volume instruction overflowed. MIDI expects a certain value to be on 7-bit, up to 127, but here in the MUS it is 128 so if simply transfered the 8th bit is stripped and it becomes 0... Now it makes sure it changes to 127 instead.)

I don't think prboom-plus fixes this though...

prboom-plus changelog said:

2.4.8.2 @ 2007-10-16
[+] New mus -> mid conversion code thanks to Ben Ryves. This removes bugs and plays back a lot of music closer to Vanilla Doom - eg. tnt.wad map02.

Edit: Retract previous statement. Prboom-plus does fix this (and has for quite a while, as stated). My confusion.

Back to the original question, I could hex up a "fixed" version if I had the original MUS. Not sure what the point would be though, since all source-ports can fix this in their mus->mid code.

Yeah, it works okay in at least GL/PrBoom+, Chocolate Doom, the latest version of Eternity, and SVN builds of ZDoom and GZDoom. In addition to these ports, it also works in SLADE 3. Other ports might also feature the fix of course.

Anybody wanting to use the code can. It's quite trivial and Ben Ryves, when I contacted him about porting the fix to ZDoom, told me it was under the WTFPL

natt said:

Back to the original question, I could hex up a "fixed" version if I had the original MUS.

Look in Jimmy's Jukebox.

Gez said:

Look in Jimmy's Jukebox.

Got it. This the right file?

File: D_TNT_02.mus
CRC-32: 3ac69180
   MD4: d9fe285c3c2c61aee3fff8c6dd0c3f67
   MD5: 90465bc20f4fc2974c0df6dc21eb2fc3
 SHA-1: f4721b6c93b00a3fbf8dd24c2db6f2cabe9e2626

D_STALKS in TNT.wad also has a CRC-32 of 3ac69180, so yeah, it's the exact same.

Technician said:

I'd feel silly quoting natt quoting myself, so just scroll up. A volume meant to be the maximum is instead read as being the minimum, so an instrument is not heard.

There's been a few thread already on the subject.