Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Running DeepSea with wine.

Hello. I am trying to run DoomBuilder 1 with wine, but the installer will not even run, so I am trying to get DeepSea to run instead, as I am running Fedora 16 and the version of Wine that it ships with does not seem to like DB.

I am downloading Directx to install and that might help, but are there any specific runtimes that DeepSea might need to run properly with Wine? I have the Linux version of bsp I can use to build the nodes, but I am wondering which editor will be easier to run on Linux, Doom Builder 1 or DeepSea?

You might have better luck with the Slade 2.0 betas from a couple years ago, which should be able to run directly in Linux.

(Hopefully in the near future, Slade 3.0's level editor will be functional, itself.)

You giving up on Yadex? Did you try the fork that ajapted posted about last month?

hex11 said:

You giving up on Yadex? Did you try the fork that ajapted posted about last month?

I am not giving up on Yadex, but I wanted a better editor for texture alignment, Yadex has horrendous texture alignment. Even Slade 2 will not work in Wine, would DB1 work with Windows XP in Virtualbox or Xen?

The Zeth code would compile on Linux with the Allegro library installed, but that code was too crash prone to use. I would use that if someone would fix the Linux code. I do like the DEU styled editors, if the Zeth code was somehow merged with Yadex to make a nice stable Zdoom editor for Linux I would be happy.

I've been working a lot on my editor (Eureka, the fork of Yadex). For example it now has a browser for flats, textures, line types (etc). And the general workflow is much improved, you can split linedefs just by hovering over one and pressing SPACE (dragging a vertex can also split a linedef), or merge two linedefs by deleting the vertex in between.

Just today I got automatic sector splitting working (add some linedefs between two vertices in a sector and when you get to the end it splits that sector), as well as automatiically inserting sectors when you make a closed path of linedefs.

There's still a lot to do before there'll be a proper v1.0 release, but I hope to provide another testing package fairly soon.

I will give that a try again, I had problems with Eureka detecting the Doom2 IWAD, maybe it should use $DOOMWADDIR or tweak the config file code, but that sounds like the best bet. I just hope you can fix up the Yadex texture alignment code, if you can do that I will be very happy.

#EDIT. I am trying to load the Eureka editor and I have the doom2.wad in /usr/local/games/doom with permissions thusly: -r--r--r-- and I only get this error seen with strace. It seems to be trying to load the wadfile read-write. So I maybe need to edit the code and fix this myself.

open("doom2.ugh", O_RDONLY)             = 4
fstat64(4, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=18959, ...}) = 0
mmap2(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0xb77a3000
read(4, "#-------------------------------"..., 4096) = 4096
read(4, "ling close flr+8"\nline  73 C "WR"..., 4096) = 4096
read(4, "\nline 201 c "WR Ceiling down LEC"..., 4096) = 4096
read(4, "ctor  4 "Flashes / 20% Damage"\ns"..., 4096) = 4096
read(4, "  "Blue keycard"\nthing    6 k l "..., 4096) = 2575
read(4, "", 4096)                       = 0
close(4)                                = 0
munmap(0xb77a3000, 4096)                = 0
write(3, "Opening WAD file: doom2.wad\n", 28) = 28
open("doom2.wad", O_RDWR)               = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
write(3, "open failed: Permission denied\n", 31) = 31
write(2, "Error: ", 7Error: )                  = 7
write(2, "Cannot find IWAD: doom2.wad\n", 28Cannot find IWAD: doom2.wad
) = 28
write(2, "\n", 1
)                       = 1
exit_group(2)                           = ?
thx@matrix Documents $

neubejiita said:

#EDIT. I am trying to load the Eureka editor and I have the doom2.wad in /usr/local/games/doom with permissions thusly: -r--r--r-- and I only get this error seen with strace. It seems to be trying to load the wadfile read-write.

Noted, I will work on that soon.

For now simply copy the doom2.wad file into the same directory as the Eureka executable (and keep the name lowercase).

What wine version and distro are you running? The DB 1.86 installer has always worked fine for me on Ubuntu and Fedora. It's the only map editor I use.

You'll need to add msvbvm50.dll and oleaut32.dll to the Doom Builder folder on drive_c, then open up winecfg and set oleaut32.dll to "Native then Builtin". You also need the 32-bit libraries for your 3D drivers installed, I haven't figured out a way to do this without pre-built packages.

Yadex is a piece of shit, it honestly took me 25 minutes to make this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43343169/doom/yadex-bsp-map01.wad

Super Jamie said:

Yadex is a piece of shit, it honestly took me 25 minutes to make this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43343169/doom/yadex-bsp-map01.wad

That should have taken you all of 30 seconds:
1. Objects->Rectangle (hit enter for defaults)
2. (OPTIONAL) move lines or vertices
3. insert Player 1 Start thing
4. Save, and run bsp

If you want to do fancy texture alignment on oddball sector dimensions, then get out your calculator... That's where the real time wastage is. There's an "autoalign" feature but it's not implemented. :( Well at least it's possible to set snap-to-grid at 64 or 32. I imagine that people who want to create a lot of fiddly details in their maps have more problems precisely because they have to do a lot more texture alignment. But for vanilla maps in the classic style (IWAD level of detail or thereabout) then Yadex is quite usable.

Or I can do none of that and complete the same actions in under 30 seconds in Doom Builder.

Using Yadex is basically the same as making levels with DEU. It's a relic literally from 1994 which has no place in modern Dooming.

As for DEU, I have no idea how so many people created so many amazing levels with such a completely unusable editor.

Bahahaha! Silly mortal, you thought playing Doom on UV was too easy? That's just a kid's game compared to....

Now you are Knee Deep in the DEU!

There's already an episode "Knee Deep in the DEU" packaged with deu521.zip, and it's actually pretty good. Well some parts are strange, but it's meant as a tutorial.

I have got Doom Builder 1 to run on Linux. I switched to Ubuntu 12.04 and wine and it works. The version of wine I am using is 1.3.28. I just had to copy the OLEAUT32.DLL and Msvbvm50.dll files into the Doom Builder Program Files folder and it worked. The version of Wine that ships with Fedora Core 16 is broken, it would not even run the Doom Builder installer.

Thanks for your help on this thread, I prefer Doom Builder over Deepsea anyway.

You're right, there seem to have been some regressions in OLE and kernel implementations in F16's Wine 1.3.36. I hope you're willing to stick on 12.04 and Wine 1.3.28 for a while :P

The DB 1.86 installer runs fine but you need to also copy OLE32.DLL and OLEPRO.DLL into the DB folder and set them Native. This is a bug in Wine's OLE implementation. After that's fixed, DB fails launch with some call which Microsoft dev doco comes from kernel32.dll, which is also a Wine bug. Someone should probably report these.

Looks like I'm mapping in a VM for a while. On the upside, Steam works again in F16 after it was broken in F14's Wine 1.3.4.

Super Jamie said:

You're right, there seem to have been some regressions in OLE and kernel implementations in F16's Wine 1.3.36. I hope you're willing to stick on 12.04 and Wine 1.3.28 for a while :P

The DB 1.86 installer runs fine but you need to also copy OLE32.DLL and OLEPRO.DLL into the DB folder and set them Native. This is a bug in Wine's OLE implementation. After that's fixed, DB fails launch with some call which Microsoft dev doco comes from kernel32.dll, which is also a Wine bug. Someone should probably report these.

Looks like I'm mapping in a VM for a while. On the upside, Steam works again in F16 after it was broken in F14's Wine 1.3.4.

I did not need those DLLS you mentioned just the two I copied into the DB folder and it works fine with my Gnome-fallback desktop. The 3D mode even works fine, but the cursor does not always appear. Still the program runs just fine and I am working on a nice map right now with the Scythe 2 textures. I just have an override for the OLEAUT32.DLL file and the Msvbvm50.dll file was not in the list so I did not bother with that one, but it still works perfectly. I installed Directx 10 to get DB working perfectly as version 9 did not seem to be available. All is good.

Yes I know, I was talking about 1.3.36 in F16. I mentioned those DLLs and the Native override for OLE before I started complaining about Yadex :P I'm saying you probably don't want to upgrade past Ubuntu 12.04 as that would likely incorporate a later Wine version and DB1 appears broken in at least 1.3.36. Then again this may just be a temporary regression which will be fixed in F17. I'll let you know in May.

The 3D cursor thing was truly fixed for a short time in some wine 1.1 version way back when Doomworld still had a Doom Builder subforum, and even then only for some video cards. I recall a difference between my laptop's Intel and my desktop ATI, though I don't remember which one worked and which didn't.

The cursor appears when you turn the Thing layer on and have Things visible. I usually end up leaving clips or backpacks or something all through my maps while I'm making them so I always have 3D mode cursor, then remove the temporary Things all when I'm ready to playtest/release.