Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Professor Pants

Gun Game for Skulltag, inspired by Black Ops.

“Based off of the Black Ops game mode, all players start with a low tier primary weapon. Get a frag with that and you trade in your gun for the next tier weapon. Get through all 20 tiers and you win. Watch out for the melee kick though, or you’ll go back down a tier. Also try the random and classic modifers for even more fun!”

1. Website.
2. Project page.
3. Just download the damn thing.

EDIT:

Professor Pants said:

Please redownload from the same link, the file has been updated. This includes a constant HUDMessage showing you your current weapon name and tier, out of the total number of weapons.

I was never much of a fan of the Black Ops wager matches, but I think this is really fun. One suggestion: could you make the Doom pistol fire a bit faster or something in the classic modes? Once someone gets the first kill it's really hard to catch up.

I looked at the website you linked. Wow, there's a lot of cool stuff there.

My other friend who worked on this project with me, InfidelWaffle, wants to point out that this game mode was not originally from Black Ops, although it is in it. From my understanding the actual origin of this game mode comes from a Counter-Strike mod. Treyarch just thought it was a good idea and made it an official feature in Black Ops.

Also, I appreciate your constructive criticism and agree with your point. However, the main reason I included classic mode was as a fallback for people who opposed any of the new weapons chosen. Balance wasn't really thought into the classic mode all that much, since it isn't the main focus. I'd like to keep classic mode with only the unmodded vanilla weapons of Doom and Skulltag. Even if it is unbalanced, at least people can't complain about not liking any of the weapons.

Though since it is still a valid point and I don't want classic mode to be completely ignored, I will update the wad with an extra optional setting to update the pistol, while still keeping the original classic mode intact.

And I'm glad you like the website! Unfortunately I don't update it often because I can only make mods so often. Although I'll probably be posting my more ambitious projects here on Doomworld ever once in a while anyway, with links to the Doom.co pages/posts. Stay tuned!

I'd like to see an inverted version of this. Everyone starts with BFGs and has to scramble to make the easier kills quickly so they can have time to plink someone to death with the pistol to win the match.

Xaser said:

I'd like to see an inverted version of this. Everyone starts with BFGs and has to scramble to make the easier kills quickly so they can have time to plink someone to death with the pistol to win the match.

Ah, like the "Arsenal" mode in Soldier of Fortune? I seem to recall that one actually required you to get a kill with only the knife to win the match.

MagnificentBeard said:

Professor Pants said:

I started-- and FINISHED this project before I had ever heard of Synert or his mod. And I don't see why any one person needs to have a monopoly on a mod idea. Especially considering it's already from another game in the first place. Plus, after looking at Synert's mod, while mine and his mod share the same idea roots, they turned out to be very different projects.

Xaser said:

Actually, that's exactly the idea behind the mod beardman linked.

Please redownload from the same link, the file has been updated. This includes a constant HUDMessage showing you your current weapon name and tier, out of the total number of weapons.

Xaser said:

Make this happen. I played through this mod and did not enjoy it for this reason. OOH you get first kills you are gonna win cuz everybody else has suck weapons.

Rule of thumb: Pretty much do the opposite of whatever Activision / Cawadooti thinks is a good idea and you are bound to make something worthwhile for the doom community.

TheMionicDonut said:

Make this happen. I played through this mod and did not enjoy it for this reason. OOH you get first kills you are gonna win cuz everybody else has suck weapons.

Rule of thumb: Pretty much do the opposite of whatever Activision / Cawadooti thinks is a good idea and you are bound to make something worthwhile for the doom community.

As said earlier, the weapons are balanced so catching up isn't a problem. In fact, the first few weapons are 2-3 hit kills. Also, we put in a kick that allows you to make a player die and go back to their previous tier. Making it reversed wouldn't make a difference at all. We were though going to put a reversed mode in, but Skulltag only allows two modifiers and me and Professor Pants thought that classic mode and random were much better ideas. Especially since random mixes up the tier setup and makes it unpredictable every time instead of just the same old line up of weapons. In a way, random is actually more balanced than reversed mode.

Also, which was also said earlier, Gun Game was originated in Counter-Strike as a mod and has been seen in a ton of games. We're just saying it's from Black Ops because that's how we were first introduced to it.

InfidelWaffle said:

As said earlier, the weapons are balanced so catching up isn't a problem. In fact, the first few weapons are 2-3 hit kills. Also, we put in a kick that allows you to make a player die and go back to their previous tier. Making it reversed wouldn't make a difference at all. We were though going to put a reversed mode in, but Skulltag only allows two modifiers and me and Professor Pants thought that classic mode and random were much better ideas. Especially since random mixes up the tier setup and makes it unpredictable every time instead of just the same old line up of weapons. In a way, random is actually more balanced than reversed mode.

Also, which was also said earlier, Gun Game was originated in Counter-Strike as a mod and has been seen in a ton of games. We're just saying it's from Black Ops because that's how we were first introduced to it.

If the weapons are balanced, then whats the point of the damn game mode?

TheMionicDonut said:

If the weapons are balanced, then whats the point of the damn game mode?

They're balanced in the sense that anyone can join a game at anytime and catch up as easily as the other people are playing before hand. Every weapon is different and still does different amounts of damage.