Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jplstatic

Releasing DOOM2.WAD with a MOD

I have a line-up of MP3-roms I'm putting out, and I had a question. One of them is the "Visions of Loki" soundtrack. I put a lot of work into the soundtrack and wanted to see if people that liked my other releases wanted it, but I also wanted to include the MOD I was working on when it was finished...

Since DOOM II's source code is now public domain, is it legal to release DOOM2.WAD publically? like can I make it easier on those that don't own it anymore and put out a copy of my MP3 soundtrack with the MOD actually included AND have it play directly from the disc without them having to own DOOM II anymore or search through old stuff to find it?

The Doom source code is free under the GPL.

The game and IWAD itself are not.

If it's a total conversion that replaces all or most stuff, you might get away with including freedoom.wad, which is legal.

People withing the Doom community already own Doom. Outsiders wouldn't give a rat's arse.

Either way, I can't think of a clumsier way of distributing music.

jplstatic said:

Since DOOM II's source code is now public domain, is it legal to release DOOM2.WAD publically?

No.

jplstatic said:

is it legal to release DOOM2.WAD publically?

No, but Freedoom might be a worthy alternative.

jplstatic said:

Since DOOM II's source code is now public domain

It is not. It is merely available under a couple of rather permissive licenses. Public domain is an entirely different thing entirely.

jplstatic said:

is it legal to release DOOM2.WAD publically?

Not at all. The source code and the game data are two different things, the status of one doesn't affect that of the other.

jplstatic said:

the MOD actually included

The word "mod" is short for "modification" (or "module"), it isn't an acronym so it shouldn't be in all-cap.

Why would you ship the Doom2 IWAD with your DooM modification project when the target audience would have it anyway?

A PWAD can contain all the resources and be loaded perfectly to play. Shippign the IWAD is not necessary.