Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

What was your game of 2011?

I'm curious because I tend to be years behind everyone. What was your game of 2011? Heck did you even play any 2011 games this year or are you still playing Doom 2 or Mario Bros 1? I hear Drakes Deception, Skyrim & Arkam Assylumn are on professional gaming sites as the #1 game.

For me it was Team Fortress 2, with 260 hours, but that didn't come out this year. But since I played it the most out of any game this year that counts for my #1 game.

I would've voted Pokémon Black/White. Unfortunately, after 13 years of playing the main series, I retired as a trainer on my birthday, so that vote doesn't count IMHO.

So instead, I voted for Doom II. :)

I'd say Skyrim was the game for me in 2011. Minecraft also officially came out too, which I played a lot as well. I never played Uncharted 3, but I saw a buddy of mine play through it and I thought it was something I would like to play. I haven't really been keeping up with games recently, so those were the only one's I know about.

The only 2011 game I played is Skyrim and it was the best of the whole year. ;)

[edit] I just remembered I also played Two Worlds 2. Skyrim still wins!

[edit] How the hell did I forget Portal 2? That was pretty awesome but I still think Skyrim wins. haha.

The only "big" game from 2011 I played (and I'm still playing) is Skyrim. Even though the game seems to get buggier every time I level up, I think it was worth the price.

Wel, mine is definitely...uh...does playing Team Fortress 2 for a couple of weeks and then abandoning it forever count?

Skyrim and the Binding of Isaac, with E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy and Jamestown being honorable mentions.

Skyrim, though there were a lot of good releases last year. I play a lot of indie games, so the numerous HIB's were a boon, as well. My library grew exponentially.

GoatLord said:

Wel, mine is definitely...uh...does playing Team Fortress 2 for a couple of weeks and then abandoning it forever count?

Depends. What else did you play?

It's not a 2011 title, but I did play Forza 3 on and off throughout 2011 until I finally managed to complete it.

The top games of the year for me (other than Quake Live), in no particular order.

Bastion
Trine 2
Deus Ex: HR
Skyrim
Brink
Magicka
Cogs
Portal 2
Minecraft
Lost Planet 2 (awesome coop)

I recently bought Section 8; predjudice. And hopefully that will be awesome too. So far it sort of reminds me of ETQW but with less issues of stalemate.

Skyward Sword. I felt the game tried something different than other games last year. There were a couple spots throughout the game that could've been better but i still loved it.

Vordakk said:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Very much this. Portal 2 and Skyrim are awesome in their own right but just don't come close to me. Well, the latter does, I suppose. I didn't play it until 2012 though so it might not count depending on how the OP is wording the question. :P

tl;dr: dx:hr

Binding of Issac!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I just bought it and I love that game. I've played it 5 hours so far and I can imagine playing it for 25 more in the next year.

Minecraft. I've spent hundreds of hours in it yet I always forget about it.

Half Life 1 and its epxansions. Played it for 25+ hours
Half Life 2, played for 15+ hours
Alpha Protocol, came close to beating it after 9 hours this year.
GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas, beat them again this year.... like I do every year
Dragon Warrior 8 for PS2. Sank a lot of hours into it this year.

HavoX said:

Depends. What else did you play?

I don't think I played any other games released last year. Even that Blood mod I downloaded was from 2010.

Easily fallout new vegas for me. While it's a 2010 game, I've got 350 hours into it according to steam and most of that didn't take place until I got my new laptop this past march.

Beyond that, borderlands, L4D2 and rome/medieval 2/empire total war I spent a healthy amount of time playing in 2011. Also a little bit of minecraft for good measure, but I have no clue how much time really, probably 100 hours or so.

It's between Minecraft, Portal 2 and Skyrim for me. Minecraft had building with people, Portal 2 was pure genius, and Skyrim is still sucking up time and probably wins. :D

Crysis 2 was definitely the game I played most this year.

Trine 2 is good looking and fun, but maybe a little too short / easy. That's just nitpicking though because it's definitely an awesome game.

Otherwise, the Mac version of Angry Birds kept me entertained when I was bored. Winning!

Skyrim wins for me, I've clocked in hours of gameplay and am still discovering new locations and places with no end in sight. However, I've also enjoyed minecraft quite a bit.

Serious Sam 3 has to be the best game of 2011 for me, I loved it immensely and played 40+ hours of it within its first month of release (I had it pre-ordered).

Possible alternative candidates:

• Portal 2: It was great, improved on the first game in about every aspect. Only problem is the total lack of replay value other than speedrunning.
  • Minecraft: Probably played it more, but I'm not sure it counts as a 2011 game even though it came out of Beta and officially "released" last year. I bought Minecraft in 2010 and it was already publicly available back in 2009...
  • Beat Hazard Ultra: DLC for a game originally released in 2010, but adds enough stuff it's practically a full-out sequel. Most definitely my #1 played game and to me, it has nearly infinite replay value. I highly recommend it, but it's just an arcade shooter driven by your music, so it isn't nearly like blockbuster games like SS3 or Portal 2 that focus on giving you a long planned-out game experience.

Bulletstorm and Modern Warfare 3.

I also ended up abandoning two of my favorite game franchises this year: Gran Turismo and Ace Combat. I might pick up Ace Combat: Assault Horizon at some point, since I'm interested in seeing how the new direction they took the game in worked out, but it's not a priority for me.

Portal 2 wins

Runners up include:
Binding of Issac
Jamestown
Magicka
Minecraft...came out in 2010 didn't it? At any rate, it was fun.

Still need to play Skyrim.