Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

What was your game of 2011?

I misunderstood the topic. I thought we could only mention games that we released in 2011. In that case, I mostly played Blood, Doom 2, Twisted Metal: Head On (Extra Twisted Edition), PSX Final Doom, B.O.B. (Genesis version), Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil, QuakeLive, Shadow Warrior, Duke Nukem 3D, and a Newgrounds game called Nanobeast.

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon (not as good as the first though)
Kill Zone 3 (first time playing the series due to co-op, very impressive production and feel)
Minecraft
Resistance 3 and GOW 3 enjoyed both.

Mod-wise was very impressed by how fantastic Doom 3 can look w.o. source code changes! http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

Found this mod for Skyrim ( http://www.moddb.com/mods/deadly-dragons-by-3jiou ), so will be playing it finally on the PC, whenever I get time.

I really haven't played much this year. But I played Portal 2 and it was superb. So yea, I'd say it was my favorite new game of this past year. And I should probably mention Minecraft too since I've burned a few hundred hours in it :P

GoatLord said:

I thought we could only mention games that we released in 2011.

I didn't release any games in 2011. :/

From best to least good, top 5 2011 releases

Trine 2
Touhou 13: Ten Desires
Age of Empires Online
Senran Kagura: Shoujotachi no Shinei (3DS beat 'em up)
SSF IV 3D (3DS)

2011 didn't get much gaming from me for the most part. All I remember is that I was trying to stay as far away from games as possible and making some posts (while agreeing with 40oz) of how real life is better than games (in some respects it is, but no point beating a dead horse). Some times I was in the Doom 3 mapping mood, but other times I was extremely decided to abandon PC gaming for life. Only by November-December I started to really enjoy map editing.

No 2011 games bought in this interval.

Best of 2011...

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - While plagued by issues and glitches you'd come to expect from any Bethesda game, I've still managed to invest more time into Skyrim than any other game released this year and for the most part, I've had fun doing it. The bulk of the quests are memorable, the world itself is interesting and the immersion is top-notch. I only wish Bethesda would release the development kit (or fix many of the issues, including the glowing blue eyes glitch).

Portal 2 - An awesome SP experience with some fantastic set-pieces and puzzles, coupled with some of the best co-op I've ever experienced.

Bastion - I was surprised by this one. The default key-bindings are terrible (I dare say some of the trials are entirely impossible using them) and it can be a frustrating trial and error session occasionally, but the story and overall experience are incredible. I attempted a new game plus with all of the shrines activated and it became probably the most difficult game I have ever played and provided some of the most intense encounters I can recall. There is a great sense of accomplishment to be had with Bastion.

Just Cause 2 - While not actually from 2011, I never had the chance to play it until this past year. Just Cause 2 is by no means perfect. The story is whatever, many of the objectives are tedious, the island can be exhausting to travel over due to the sheer size of it and it is a horrible game to just pick up and play for thirty minutes or so, but when you play it just for fun and don't let everything else wear you down, it is pure fun and can be outright hilarious. It reminded me of just how much fun open-world games like this can be, something I haven't experienced the same way since Grand Theft Auto 3.

Fear 2: Project Origin - Again, not from 2011 but didn't bother with it until I picked it up on a Steam sale for ridiculously cheap. I was pleasantly surprised by it. The story is more coherent than the first Fear, the shooting can be intense and it can be terribly moody at times. Fear 2 is probably one of the better and most memorable FPS games I've played in recent years, though my praise of it may be due (in part) to the fact I wasn't expecting much from it to begin with. It's always great when you're blown away by something you jump into thinking it will suck!

Worst or Most Disappointing of 2011...

Rage - What can I say? Considering many of my favorite FPS titles were created by id Software (or built around id Software engines / properties; Doom and Return to Castle Wolfenstein), I was hyped about Rage, which I rarely allow myself to do. Unlike everyone else however, I liked Doom 3. I even liked Quake 4. Why wouldn't I be hyped, then? As it drew closer to release date however and I realized it wouldn't be an open-world game and the driving was primarily a novelty, my excitement subsided quite a bit. Upon playing it, I was nothing but disappointed. Rage is easily one of the most contrived, uninspired FPS games I've ever played. Couple that with linear level design, forgettable MP, a short SP campaign, launch issues, a horrible story and one of the least climatic end battles / horrible endings I've ever seen and you have one of the worst games I personally played during 2011.

Trine 2 - As someone who loved the first Trine, Trine 2 was an easy sell for me. Like Rage, I wished I hadn't. Trine 2 has no reason to exist. Almost everything it does, Trine did first and did better. Trine 2 has some of the most irritating and unfulfilling puzzles, frustrating platforming sections and mundane boss battles I've experienced as of late. Luckily, the wizard floating trick still remains unfixed from the first game, or else I probably wouldn't have bothered completing it. Using the hints feature to illustrate how the developers intended you to complete their contrived puzzles doesn't help it either, as far as I'm concerned.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm - Against my better judgment, I picked up the newest expansion to Blizzard's MMORPG primarily because many of my friends still played and they needed me to complete the raid content. Two months into it and everyone quit. Watered down and homogenized class design, poor story and multiple bad business decisions caused a cataclysm for nothing but Warcraft's subscription base, costing them nearly 4 million subscribers. I've been Warcraft free for almost a year now and much happier overall. =)

Fear 3 - I purchased Fear 3 when it was released coming from anticipation for it following my playthrough of Fear 2 (being that the Fear sale, which included Fear 2, was to promote Fear 3). Fear 3 would have been okay if it had been more Fear 2 but instead, it became a bland, CoD clone, complete with achievements, a level-up system, linear level design, cover-based mechanics and mundane enemies sniping at you from being chest-high walls. I should have seen it coming, especially since it wasn't even developed by Monolith. The cherry on top was that it wasn't even remotely moody or scary and the story was horrible, despite John Carpenter's hands being involved with it.

Death and the Fly - I'm only adding this to round out my most disappointing / worst list at 5 games each. Death and the Fly is not my worst game of 2011, it is the winner of my worst game of all time award. I purchased it because it looked interesting but otherwise knew nothing about it. This game is terrible in every conceivable way. Changing your wallpaper on your desktop is more fun than playing this game.

The Witcher 2 is my favorite game of the year.I finished it at least 5 times and it's still not getting old!Also, I consider it extremely admirable that CDP's second game got a 9, is currently a PC exclusive, sold more than 1 million copies just on this platform and said no to DRM .

Skyrim is a close second, my experience was relatively bugless and I don't know why people complain about it so much.The graphics could have been better as it feels like a game from 2009 and doesn't even come close to TW2 in terms of story and graphics although it is debatable whether the atmosphere is better or worse.When I stopped play I had already invested over 100 hours on my 58 nord character.

Deus ex: Human Revolution was kind of a surprise for me as I was not really familiar with the franchise.The best thing about the game is how believable the world and the story is, although it lacks in some departments such as graphics and especially lip-syncing it is undoubtedly one of the best FPS/RPG games of the year.

Although RAGE took boat loads of hate at release and was panned for unsatisfactory graphics and unoriginal gameplay, I consider it to be one of the best games simply because how fun the guns feel.All the weapons from pistol to shotgun are useful and are not discarded when you pick up a new one!I find this incredibly refreshing and shooting pop rockets out of my SSG and blowing heads off with Fat Mommas is beyond awesome.

Battlefield 3 for how realistic and fun it is at the same time.Besides the graphics, the sound is also quite stellar and it's pretty hard to get bored of this game.

Portal 2 for its sheer originality and very likable characters!The ending is also pretty awesome, for some weird reason I felt like GlaDOS dumped me when she said "Don't come back" :D

I think I played a lot Quake Live. I did buy some bunch of games, some new, some old.. but some of them still have the plastic wrap around the dvd case.

I had some expectations about Dead Space 2, but it wasn't as fun as the first, which I played through so many times that there are hardly any situations the enemies manage to damage me. The second just had frustrating battles with enemies jumping from shadows, which often hit me even if I had gone around a corner.

GoatLord said:

I misunderstood the topic. I thought we could only mention games that we released in 2011. In that case, I mostly played Blood, Doom 2, Twisted Metal: Head On (Extra Twisted Edition), PSX Final Doom, B.O.B. (Genesis version), Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil, QuakeLive, Shadow Warrior, Duke Nukem 3D, and a Newgrounds game called Nanobeast.

Oh wait, you're right.

In that case, I'll add Mount & Blade: Warband. I discovered that game and proceeded to play the shit out of it. It's really amazing. Other than that, I mostly played Minecraft (my friends and I had a server up for a while, which was really fun), and Team Fortress 2 (though that's nothing new).

Sig-ma said:

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm - Against my better judgment, I picked up the newest expansion to Blizzard's MMORPG primarily because many of my friends still played and they needed me to complete the raid content. Two months into it and everyone quit. Watered down and homogenized class design, poor story and multiple bad business decisions caused a cataclysm for nothing but Warcraft's subscription base, costing them nearly 4 million subscribers. I've been Warcraft free for almost a year now and much happier overall. =)

As much as I hate to say it, if they kept to a tbc or wrath model to content/class design, I would still be playing.

Actually, my biggest issue has nothing to do with content or class balance, but was the 10/25 shared lockout. Our guild was always 25 man so we never did 10 mans for gear...our 10 man group regularly did them because we enjoyed the company and because we all had 25 man gear we could blow through whatever and just joke around and enjoy our time in game.

My brain says Deus Ex: HR but my heart says Saints Row 3.

Serious Sam 3, Space Marine, PAYDAY, Capsized and Rochard were all great too. The new Sonic game deserves a mention for being not shit against all odds, and also a very competent PC release for a series that's always been console oriented.

I really enjoyed, but was still disappointed by: Rage, DNF and Portal 2.

This thread reminds me of how many titles I still would like to play or have wanted to purchase still... Alice: Madness Returns, Dark Souls (if it is ever released on PC), Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Hard Reset, Witcher 2...

I have no interest in Batman: Arkham City, Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3 or Duke Nukem Forever however.

Quast said:

Actually, my biggest issue has nothing to do with content or class balance, but was the 10/25 shared lockout.

Agreed. That was one (of several) of the bad business decisions I commented on. The end-game content overall was rather weak and it was odd going from the ridiculous abundance of shit to do in Wrath to the relative boredom and lack of shit to do in Cataclysm. The old world redesign was hit-or-miss for me as well. I really could go on and on but I'll refrain from doing so-- no one needs or wants to hear it. ;-)

Despite all of the shit Warcraft receives, I have many fond memories with it. Wrath was mostly very well designed, fun to play and I liked the difficulty of heroic modes and then being able to jump into 10-man's with some close friends late at night and casually blow through the content, joking around and making fun of each other. Burning Crusade was awesome as well, even if the raid content (mostly my raid schedule at the time and guild I was with) frustrated the shit out of me from time to time.

Sig-ma said:

Wrath was mostly very well designed, fun to play and I liked the difficulty of heroic modes and then being able to jump into 10-man's with some close friends late at night and casually blow through the content, joking around and making fun of each other.

Yep 100% exactly, yes.

Burning Crusade was awesome as well, even if the raid content (mostly my raid schedule at the time and guild I was with) frustrated the shit out of me from time to time.

Yeah, the 4/8 t6 for dps for brut and the 4 priest req for felmyst and the 'was your raid good enough to go 3/6 before thursday when no one gave a shit anymore/good luck with twins' when trying to juggle raid comps was a bit much. LOL

Wrath was a godsend and still had awesome difficult things to attempt to achieve if you were up for it.

Best game I played that wasn't made in 2011 would be Borderlands. God, I loved that game, everything from it's trillions of weapons to the coop, it was a very good game, and I can't wait for Borderlands 2. All the DLC is definitely worth it as well.

Best game made in 2011 for me would Saints Row, hands down. It's like GTA except 20 times better and on crack cocaine.

kristus said:

The top games of the year for me (other than Quake Live), in no particular order.

Lost Planet 2 (awesome coop)

i was a little bit bugged by how stiff the character movement seemed at times in this game, but i did love the coop, even if i didn't get to play much of it. had the same charm for me as RE5 coop.

also, uncharcted 3 is incredibly fun.

I didn't play a lot of newer games in 2011, but I did enjoy what I played

Mass Effect: still not done with this but the action was passable. My friends talked up how awesome the story was but it played out like early ST:TNG episodes to me (unintentionally hilarious sci-fi comedy). Not to mention that awkward ten seconds that transpires every time Shepherd talks to Kaiden. I got a lot of laughs so far and I can only assume I'll have more before I finish.

Borderlands: played this A LOT. Diablo-style RNG guns are a great carrot on a stick and playing the Siren translated pretty good from my old-school FPS tendencies. I wish the cities felt more alive, like Rage's, but whatever. Loved the art style.

Rage: Rage was never broken for me. Still haven't finished it (kind of got swamped during our outage and it fell by the wayside) but I plan to come back to it. I loved the combat and the Twisted Metal-esque car fights (way more than Borderlands' vehicles anyway). I know people hated the ending, but I still think id did a Good Thing.

Also, played the FUCK out of Mage Gauntlet (iOS). I will probably get every game Rocketcat does.

Other than that, just hardcore Dooming, as anyone who has read my blog can attest.

destx said:

Capsized and Rochard

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to play Capsized! I beat it about mid 2011 and enjoyed every minute of it. My only problem was that it was too damn short. Still need to play more of Rochard, I liked the demo a lot.

kmxexii said:

Mage Gauntlet (iOS). I will probably get every game Rocketcat does.

Aww yeeaa son. After Hook Worlds this was an instant-buy for me, i'll be buying everything they make in the future. It's so rare to find games that are both hilarious and well designed.

Snarboo said:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to play Capsized! I beat it about mid 2011 and enjoyed every minute of it. My only problem was that it was too damn short. Still need to play more of Rochard, I liked the demo a lot.

Yeah, I was really reluctant to buy Rochard, but I tried the demo during the steam sale and it clicked with me immediately.
Both games really flew under the press radar, marketing needs to get their ass in line :(
I also blame the constant torrent of shitty indie side-scrollers. It seems like every horrible 'arty' flash-based half-assed knockoff gets ten times as much coverage as these two did.

destx said:

Aww yeeaa son. After Hook Worlds this was an instant-buy for me, i'll be buying everything they make in the future. It's so rare to find games that are both hilarious and well designed.

Hook Champ was my first game with them. Haven't looked back. I even got the #1 spot on the stone rat idol until one of the leaderboard resets. Super Quickhook was awesome as well; I am a total hook platformer junkie.