Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
reboot

Drawing maps from memory

Readers of RockPaperShotgun have probably seen this already, but I thought it would be interesting to post here:
http://mapstalgia.tumblr.com/

There's a rididiculous rendition of e1m1 on page 2...
I am pretty sure I can draw a detailed Knee-deep in the dead episode on paper, and most of Shores and Inferno...

So I ask: which ones/how many maps (from Doom or any other games) can you draw just from memory?

He totally missed the little alcove behind the shotgun secret. I'm assuming he hasn't played in an extremely long time, because the little orb thing outside of the green armor room got taken out in an early version I believe

shadow1013 said:

He totally missed the little alcove behind the shotgun secret. I'm assuming he hasn't played in an extremely long time, because the little orb thing outside of the green armor room got taken out in an early version I believe

I never knew about this, any more info?

Heh, this is neat.

I'm tempted to try this with Devil May Cry. I feel as if I can get a good chunk of the castle and surrounding grounds, somehow.

About the orb thing? There was a powerup or something, I don't recall what it was though, off to the side outside of the green armor room in one of the earlier versions of DOOM. It probably wasn't an item, considering that otherwise it wouldn't give 100% items. but maybe I'm wrong.

Sorry, I don't remember which version, nor would I have it. I might actually ve wrong but I'm almost *COMPLETELY* sure that its true. I remember seeing some youtube video talking about changes between early versions and later versions showing it though.

Aliotroph? said:

Apparently your spelling of "Hangar" was from "memory" too.

I always like "Hanger" as a misspelling simply because of the double entendre.

40oz said:

For fun I tried something a little harder. Final Doom MAP01 System Control

Personally I always liked the tnt.wad MAP01, it's small but provides plenty of movement all over the map, visiting some rooms several times, before you really get to the exit. It just feels like a perfect intro stage.

chungy said:

Personally I always liked the tnt.wad MAP01, it's small but provides plenty of movement all over the map, visiting some rooms several times, before you really get to the exit. It just feels like a perfect intro stage.

Agreed.

I happen to love tnt's starting map the most out of all of the Doom games with the exception of Doom 64's as it was my first Doom experience.

Drawing doom maps always my favourite since I was a child, till now. I can draw almost all maps from the 1st 3 episodes, as well as a few doom 2 maps. As for the maps from wads, I remember that I can draw Plutonia 2 map28, Whispers of Satan map08, Community Chest 3 map27 etc.

That map from the article missed out perhaps the single most important feature of E1M1 that shapes the whole map: the fact that from the start area you can look across the outside area to (almost) where the map ends. Therefore, the map cannot be a straight line as it was in the memory drawing.

On the "extra bit with the orb" discussion, this is a DOSBox screenshot from Doom 1.2 which is the oldest copy of Doom that I have installed ATM.

Forget that, it was a pointless shot, and I have an older install too. Here is Doom shareware 0.99

IDDT IDDT
See the litte green item in the outside area by the armour?

IDSPISPOPD
Voila

I don't recall when it vanished. It was either 1.1 or 1.2.

Hahaha, I noticed that when looking at the automap before reading your post. I thought it might be a tree, so I scrolled down a bit, saw the screenshot and started laughing. For some reason I find that lonely inaccessible stimpak rather cute.

did not know about that rocket launcher

Ya that RL was about the only interesting thing in E3M1. Lucky there is E3M9 to make the map kickass.

I just realized that it would be interesting if for example prboom+ could draw a picture of players route from a demo.