Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dark-tenshi

Spectre

should invisible enemy like spectre be in next game?if the idea of biological living's invisibiliy sounds too unreasonable,how about the enemies that can change their skin's color (like lizard)?do you think that the fight with hard-to-see monster is such a great thrill or it's just only plain retarded idea?

personally,i won't mind the idea of invisible monster.but i don't want it just only be an invisible version of pinky.completely new monster would be nice. in the new game,.Pinky's AI seems likely to be "see and charge" .invisble monster should know when to retreat and try to attack the player from blind spot..

thermo goggle should be the option to counter those invisble monsters as well as the dark evironment in DOOM.the battery is required to get the goggle worked and prevent the overusing.

the stealth suit idea (like one in Metal gear solid 1/2) should work for human enemy and it would work for Quake4.

Pinky is now this big hulk, I don't see a good reason to make that invisible. Something slick and fast as an Imp would be a good option though.

But anyway, a skin with a very simple shader could make any enemy "invisible". That goes from completely transparent to translucent stuff, glowing floating eyes, refraction effects, etc etc. Anything you want.

I have been thinking about what a potential Doom 3 should be like ever since I tried Doom 2 back in 1994/95 and I have always had the opinion that the spectre should be slightly similar, yet very different from the "pinky".
My idea of a spectre, now that I've seen the new "pinkie", should be more like the old pinky demon, yet slimmer with a tail of some sort and not as tough, rather more "elusive".

An idea : have the monster not completely invisible, rather like the stealth type stuff that the Predator has. Therefore you can still see it too some extent but still be quite invisible.

invisible monster with glowing red (yellow,blue or somthing else) eye sounds to be quite frightening when spotting one .the wounded monster should have blood drop for making it easy to spot the position of this invisible monster.

for blood coler,red color should be fine.the game looks like to be mature-rated ame.i don't want the green-blooded monster like doom GBA.

I think the specter should not be just a demon model with a transparent property. It would be way too easy to spot, and probably wouldnt look very good. Instead it should be like in the orginal doom, where it would give a cool visual distortion (gives off no color just a blur), kinda like cloaked star craft units. Im sure the new doom engine would handle this well. The same should also apply for any cloaking power up for players. (if there are any in the new doom game)

Spectres in DOOM III should be like DOOM's spectres but instead of a black/null matrix it should be completely invisible and just cause a "liquid" visual distortion.

Zaldron was telling me about this one algorithm that changed a polygon's transparancy based on the normal's angle relative the camera. You could use a similar effect to assign a black/null matrix to a triangle; the greater the angle betwen the camera normal and the triangle normal, the higher the ratio of nulls to blacks. This would make a very fuzzy, impossible-to-identify shape that is a little more distinct near the center than at the edge of vision.

If I had a copy of Photoshop, I'd sketch out what I'm talking about, but I can't, so I won't.

And now that I've actually seen Predator a couple of times, it's cool to recognize what aspects Doom borrowed from it. :)

Originally posted by FlatHead
"The Jungle... it came alive and took him !"

Predator... Gotta love it.

Hell yeah, cool guns, big explosions...whats not to love?

As soon as I get a little webspace (my f2s account expired) I'll put up a couple of examples.

Originally posted by Zaldron
As soon as I get a little webspace (my f2s account expired) I'll put up a couple of examples.

Damnit just ask Ling.

I'd like to see another enemy completely transparent besides the Demon.
Maybe the Baron of Hell or some similar enemy.

if the idea of biological living's invisibiliy sounds too unreasonable

LOL this is Doom man! Everything is unreasonable! This also includes the breakneck speeds that the marine can run.

Originally posted by Psyonisis

This also includes the breakneck speeds that the marine can run.

...Except that he wont be running that fast in the new Doom game...

Originally posted by FlatHead
"The Jungle... it came alive and took him !"

Predator... Gotta love it.

The Predator (from the first movie) makes the BEST example of what a demon should be like. Fast, hard to see, hard to kill...
Just like a mother in law.

Originally posted by Alboroto
The Predator (from the first movie) makes the BEST example of what a demon should be like. Fast, hard to see, hard to kill...
Just like a mother in law.

True.

Plus it should be intelligent enough not to follow you into the water...unless it really wants your blood...

if the idea of biological living's invisibiliy sounds too unreasonable

There is an episode on Stargate SG-1 where there are creatures whose light rays it emits are out of phase with the human eye...so that you can't see it...they also made weapons so that you could...that would be pretty sweet to see in Doom 3...invisible monster only visible when you have a certain weapon out or something...and if you don't have it...slash goes the claw through yor guts!

Originally posted by mmnpsrsoskl

...that would be pretty sweet to see in Doom 3...invisible monster only visible when you have a certain weapon out or something...and if you don't have it...slash goes the claw through yor guts!

No, that wouldn't be sweet. That'd be annoying as Hell.

Originally posted by Zaldron
Pinky is now this big hulk, I don't see a good reason to make that invisible. Something slick and fast as an Imp would be a good option though.

But anyway, a skin with a very simple shader could make any enemy "invisible". That goes from completely transparent to translucent stuff, glowing floating eyes, refraction effects, etc etc. Anything you want.

What about vertex warping? Like the predator effect, or refraction but harder to spot

"if the idea of biological living's invisibiliy sounds too unreasonable"

well,i should include that it's too cheap idea.when i first encountered spectre ,it was like "what's that...[sarcasm] oh great,invisible pinky[/sarcasm] "
like other people said. spectre should not be the invisble version of any existing monster.it should be completely new one.

with the new sound engine.we should be able to spot the direction the sound that spectre made(the sound they moved on metal floor etc..)

IMO, this is the perfect chance to try a rather unimpressive invisibility technique : 0% opacity.

Sounds crappy, right? Yes, but what happens when you add a dynamic shadow? I think that would be pretty cool, you're forced to predict the creatures position by watching the casted shadow, and if no light sources are near you, heh, you're pretty much doomed.

that's sound like a good idea.very doomish.

btw zaldron,do you get extra web space yet?

Originally posted by dsm
No, that wouldn't be sweet. That'd be annoying as Hell.

Now that I think of it that is gay. Stupid me again. Zaldron's idea is much better.

Hehe, I like the shadow idea, I got goosebumps just thinking about it. That would be totally creepy, suddenly a shadow appears but no creature to cast it. Woohoo, we've found our new spectre!!!