Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zalausai

DeePsea (Full) vs Doombuilder 2

I have both deepsea (full) and doombuilder 2. I was wondering which program I should use. Can I have some suggestions?

I dunno much about Deepsea (other than it cost millions in lawyering, or some bs) but DB2 seems to rule the roost around here.

I use Deepsea because it's what I started with. I'm used to the controls and I enjoy how fast and simple it is, and the built in lump/texture manager tools. I'm also too stubborn to change. I have Doom Builder just for the 3d mode so I can fly around and auto align/adjust stuff. My version of Deepsea just doesn't have these awesome features.

I have an old version of Deepsea though and it runs like crap on anything newer than Windows XP. If I were starting out I would probably use Doom Builder because Deepsea isn't free and it would be better to be used to something that has free upgrades.

I started with Deepsea a long time ago too, but when I registered, it took a very long time for my copy to come in the mail because it was being upgraded to a newer version. I'd never upgrade it by mail, for fear that an occurrence like this would happen again. :(

Personally, Doom Builder was a miracle for me, for I didn't have to pay for it, and it had almost all the features of Deepsea, yet it had everything I needed.

I, too, have both DB2 and DeePsea ( v12.13 registered, unreleased ). I find DB2 more user friendly while DeePsea's error checker is the best bar none. As such I use both depending on what I am doing.

DeepSea isn't just a map editor, it offers a gazillion different tools for handling wads and there respective lump/files. Very handy all-in-one app if you ask me, but yes, DB2 can get you mapping in no time, it's a lot more intuitive.

I've been using DeePsea for years and it is a very competent "Swiss army knife" of tools that can be used for Doom editing. I find all of the tools easy to use, including the map editor which I find very logical and full of drawing techniques and options that really suit me. It is very much a "one stop shop" in as much as I rarely have to use any other tool for editing or lump management tasks even on a large project. However, it is not being updated as regularly as it was and, as such, if you are working with some newer editing features it may not suit you. eg it doesn't support UDMF or ZIP/PK3 files and there are some places where its PNG support is a little patchy (though it does support them).

Doom Builder is also a very competent program and also has some excellent features. When I use it, I find it a little frustrating but that is simply because I am so familiar with DeePsea. eg there are times when I know that DB2 must be able to do a certain thing but I'll be damned if I can find it because it's not where DeePsea has the same feature. As a map editor, it is very smooth and works very well and it can cope well with drawing some pretty complex structures without introducing errors. In other words, it too is a good program. It's also bang up to date and supports all the latest features. It doesn't have as many different ways of doing things as DeePsea does and it doesn't have all the extra lump management stuff.

If I was starting out in Doom editing I would probably plump for DB2 plus SLADE3 for the wad management stuff. However, I'm not so I still use DeePsea for just about everything I do with Doom editing.

Well, I've never used DeepSea, but in my opinion Doom Builder 2 is a better choice since you get a really high quality tool for a low price of 0.00$, while DeepSea is a commercial product and as far as I know the author of it doesn't work on it anymore.

That's only my opinion and recommendation, so you be the judge of what suits you better. I use DB2 and I love it, but I can't guarantee that you'll feel the same about it.

I used DeeP and Deth/Zeth way back when in the DOS days, then WadAuthor early in Windows.

Doom Builder is now king in my eyes. Just needs some additional plugins to make it a complete editing suite. I haven't looked back at the other editors in a long time.

I'm going to say Doombuilder 2 even though I use Deepsea and will probably never stop using it. Deepsea is like a drug. Don't do drugs, kids.