Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Texture legalities question

Some authors explicitly forbid taking textures out of their wads. But, for example, what if I make a wad that doesn't contain anything from ICARUS.wad, but requires it? (so the players will load it like "prboom-plus -file icarus -file mywad") Is this allowed?

Unless using the wad as a resource is specifically forbidden in its text file, I see nothing wrong with that approach.

<off-topic> For some strange reason your avatar reminds me of this. </off-topic>

The language they use doesn't specifically say that you can't use it as a base for new levels, as the usual boilerplate goes. Instead, they use a more ambiguous wording of "don't take stuff out of our levels".

That said, I think that nobody except Myk will object. It'd be kinda bad form to use more stringent licensing terms than the game the mod was made for in the first place. (Remember, it's on a "as long as it still requires the game, go nuts" basis.)

I think that team tnt has opened up some of their textures for public use, and it just might be that the textures you need may already be part of an open resource file. Take a look when you have time. If you haven't already.

http://www.teamtnt.com/ixreturn.htm

Otherwise, using it as a source file in your command line, as you mentioned above, should not be a problem. There are other maps out there that use this type of thing to use the textures.

Gez said:

"don't take stuff out of our levels".

"as long as it still requires the game, go nuts"

Just because they're gamers, doesn't mean they have to act informal all the time :|

Searcher said:

I think that team tnt has opened up some of their textures for public use, and it just might be that the textures you need may already be part of an open resource file. Take a look when you have time. If you haven't already.
http://www.teamtnt.com/ixreturn.htm

The Return is all Eternal Doom textures, and they're both good and original, but the good ones aren't original and the original ones aren't good. :)

Not that the general quality level of Icarus's textures is much better (oh those exit doors, blech). Memfis, are you looking for something in particular? Maybe someone can help you.

From the OP, he's not actually looking for resources from Icarus specifically. He was using it as an example for a hypothetical inquiry.

/idgames/themes/TeamTNT/return/retres.txt said:

LIMITED DISTRIBUTION RIGHTS:
- We ask you not to include RETRES.WAD with any levels you distribute. Please ask them to download RETRES.ZIP from either CompuServe, Action Forum or at ftp.cdrom.com, id Games.

It's dumb but technically you can only provide a link to the Compuserve forum (who still uses that?) or this FTP site that doesn't exist anymore:
$ host ftp.cdrom.com
Host ftp.cdrom.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Yeah nothing lasts forever, and even popular sites go down sometimes. These are short-sighted terms, which will ensure these resources remain unused and forgotten in time.

Memfis said:

Some authors explicitly forbid taking textures out of their wads. But, for example, what if I make a wad that doesn't contain anything from ICARUS.wad, but requires it? (so the players will load it like "prboom-plus -file icarus -file mywad") Is this allowed?

Go ahead and use them. Technically it isn't "allowed," but including them in a wad isn't any worse than having Ultimate Doom music in a Doom2 wad, or putting Plutonia textures in a Pwad, both of which happen all the time. If anything it's less bad because Icarus isn't a commercial product.