Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You could always try using the giant-rat sprite from Daggerfall as it looks much better than that rat in the screenshot, it has red eyes also.

Quasar said:

Don't worry the coup de grace is when it is confirmed that this will be a CLOSED-source modification that will bit-rot and become unplayable in 3 years.

Since you said that, I'll make sure to ensure that the source is available.

Also, I'll try using the Daggerfall rat, thanks for suggesting it, Avoozl.

I think the SNES Wolf3D rat is more appropriate. Where did the weapon art come from? It is wonderfully 90s and reminds me of Terminator Rampage.

left, right, right, left, left, right, right, left, left, right, right, left, left, right, right, left, left, right, right, left, left, right, right, left, left, right, right, left, left, right, right, left, left, right, right, left, left, right, right, left, left, right, right, left, left, right, right, left, left, right, right, left, left, right, right, left, left, right, right,

piece of cake.

40oz said:

piece of cake.

Not when you're in a survival situation, surrounded by mutant rats who crave your flesh and you are trapped in tight corridors. :P

Also, can a mod please move this to WADs and Mods?

Why does everyone keep asking why I'm using GZDoom? Just because I'm using an advanced sourceport doesn't mean that converting something simple to it should seem "excessive". It's a convenient platform for my project goals, which is to create an FPS in the style of the 9x screensaver while being as accurate of a recreation of it possible. I chose GZDoom because it suited my needs, it has texture scaling, can be scripted, and I can easily create a simple maze game with monsters roaming, so I figured, why not? Any other engine wouldn't allow me to do some of the tweaks I've done to ensure it's accuracy to the original.

I think it's the other way around--They're crying because you chose not to use UnrealEngine or CryTek

Sodaholic said:

Why does everyone keep asking why I'm using GZDoom? Just because I'm using an advanced sourceport doesn't mean that converting something simple to it should seem "excessive". It's a convenient platform for my project goals, which is to create an FPS in the style of the 9x screensaver while being as accurate of a recreation of it possible. I chose GZDoom because it suited my needs, it has texture scaling, can be scripted, and I can easily create a simple maze game with monsters roaming, so I figured, why not? Any other engine wouldn't allow me to do some of the tweaks I've done to ensure it's accuracy to the original.

Ok, you just gave me the best idea ever. The maze screensaver shows the walls rising into place when it loads. Put this in. Now since you will have scripted walls instead of constructing a bunch of mazes implement a maze generator in ACS and have the player do a pile of increasingly difficult (to survive) random mazes!

esselfortium said:

but Tower of Babel GZDoom to make a TC based on the Windows 95 maze screensaver.

Someone's gotta use that port too and test its features.

Aliotroph? said:

The maze screensaver shows the walls rising into place when it loads. Put this in.

I couldn't picture it without it.

Aliotroph? said:

Ok, you just gave me the best idea ever. The maze screensaver shows the walls rising into place when it loads. Put this in. Now since you will have scripted walls instead of constructing a bunch of mazes implement a maze generator in ACS and have the player do a pile of increasingly difficult (to survive) random mazes!

You should also make it so the player navigates the maze by himself and that ToB GZDoom runs automatically when I leave my computer idle for 15 minutes.

I think that generated mazes should be doable. I think Nash has created tile-based dungeon generation code over at the ZDoom forums.

Sodaholic: how many weapons and enemies are planned for this?

Aliotroph? said:

Minus the random generation, this was already the plan. I'd love to do random generation, but I have no idea what algorithm to use. I'm doing some research now of how to generate them.

40oz said:

You should also make it so the player navigates the maze by himself and that ToB GZDoom runs automatically when I leave my computer idle for 15 minutes.

If I could somehow implement a feature in it to shut down as soon as any input is delivered (like screensavers are supposed to), I'd gladly attempt this. I'll see what I can do.

jute said:

How many weapons and enemies are planned for this?

It's not finalized yet, but probably a fist, pistol, shotgun, machine gun, rocket launcher, and flame thrower.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to comment about the enemies. The most common (and weakest) enemy would be the rat (obviously), but I was considering nazis, and maybe a blob (friend's suggestion, not yet sure if I'll have such an enemy).

If anyone wants to suggest enemy ideas, I'd like some input on that.

Technician said:

Why don't you implement Ken's Labyrinth characters?

Maybe, but I was thinking of having original characters. I'll consider it though.

Also, I've just started on the maze generating code. My friend is going to come over later today to help me port one already written in MS Basic to ACS.

I wonder, is it possible to rip the sprites from video memory while the screensaver is running? If so, what software could I use to do this?

That seems like something you would need a custom, purpose-written video driver for. I could be wrong, though.

Is it possible to "print screen" a screen saver or does that just kill it?

Creaphis said:

Is it possible to "print screen" a screen saver or does that just kill it?

I've tried, and it does not kill the screensaver. It's not a sufficient solution though, all sprites but the rat sprite are semi-transparent, and are too hires to get a good rip from even that, as the view is rendered in 320x240.

I kinda forgot about this project, honestly. I might return to it, but I've primarily been focusing on Koliko's Adventure, and don't want to have too much on my plate.

I remember this screensaver back when I was younger. I would also sometimes place in new textures for the walls, floor and ceiling to make it feel like a new level. I always wished I would be able to play it but now that I see it's a Doom project I can't wait to play it!

Good luck Sodaholic on creating this WAD.

Edit: God damnit, I just realized this thread was bumped. Also...

Sodaholic said:

I kinda forgot about this project, honestly. I might return to it, but I've primarily been focusing on Koliko's Adventure, and don't want to have too much on my plate.

I hope you can finish this WAD soon because I would really like to play the screensaver maze.