Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kira

Retro Blazer (indie FPS)

Retro Blazer is an indie FPS powered by Darkplaces looking like a baby from Wolfenstein 3D and Quake.

I discovered it with this article and a demo is available.

Looks like playing Wolf3D while on crack.

I'm not saying this as a good thing.

The level design is far too square. I guess Minecraft made cubes popular?

Wasn't there a thread about Retro Blazer not long ago? ?_?

HavoX said:

Wasn't there a thread about Retro Blazer not long ago? ?_?

Uh you are correct, I've only checked on the search tool with the words "retro" and "blazer" separated :/

Feel free to lock the thread.

Edit: well, as DuckReconMajor stated, it would be better to merge the threads :-)

K!r4 said:

Feel free to lock the thread.

Or merge it.

I think this looks cool. People in this thread seem to be far less supportive than the other thread though.

It looks way too cartoony to me.

Plus the level design looks boring.

EDIT: This was made with the Quake 3 engine? The game looks almost sprite based.

The Wolf3d Map design isn't all that appealing, and I'm not interested in the anime-like art direction. It looks like it's fun to play though.

hardcore_gamer said:

EDIT: This was made with the Quake 3 engine? The game looks almost sprite based.

It isn't based on Quake 3; it's based on Dark Places (a heavily upgraded Quake 1).

And it completely is sprite-based.

hardcore_gamer said:

Darkplaces which is based on the Quake 1 engine. The game IS sprite based :-)

EDIT : Gez is the fastest!

damn that looks like fun. could certainly use more height variation but i guess that's a problem we could fix on our own eh

Personally, I love the art style. Its smooth and satisfying. Unfortunately, while the textures the artist made look cool, the level design itself is pretty boring looking.

Tango said:

damn that looks like fun. could certainly use more height variation but i guess that's a problem we could fix on our own eh

Pretty much my sentiment. The weapons look fun to shoot and the textures and colors are very nice. I'd like to get my hands on editing tools and really play around with it. :D

Tango said:

Certainly, as the author seems to mimic Wolf3D's level design on purpose. Sprites have only one angle per state BTW.

DuckReconMajor said:

I don't think anyone can do sprites like id did anymore.

Here's an idea for Doomworld's next community effort: "Sprites The Way Id Did". A full set of a dozen monsters that could have been used by Id instead of those who know and love! :p

"those [we] who know and love"

I seem to be forgetting to type words a lot when I'm tired.

Played through the alpha on the weekend; really fast and fun with some cool music and art.

I was extremely excited at first, however, they seem to have intentionally disabled vertical mouselook at an engine level (none of the Quake/DP mouselook console commands work) which made me really fucking angry - I can't stand not having proper mouse controls, even if the gameplay is 2D.

If that doesn't get fixed, they won't see any money from me.

destx said:

Played through the alpha on the weekend; really fast and fun with some cool music and art.

I was extremely excited at first, however, they seem to have intentionally disabled vertical mouselook at an engine level (none of the Quake/DP mouselook console commands work) which made me really fucking angry - I can't stand not having proper mouse controls, even if the gameplay is 2D.

If that doesn't get fixed, they won't see any money from me.

I was about to say you could just turn it on with a cvar. But disabled at the ENGINE level? That is beyond tarded

That'd be okay except that there's no autoaim either and there are occasionally enemies on ledges that you HAVE to avoid completely. Bit of an unfortunate flaw that does ruin one map in particular.

Oh, and for those who haven't noticed, there's an alpha on the site -- scroll to the bottom. Yes, it's fun. :P