Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Episode 2 Intermission 3D Models (work in progress)

No doubt some of you recall the thread I was updating for awhile, in which I showcased a 3D representation of the "Knee Deep in the Dead" intermission screen. It has been temporarily abandoned because it takes some 12 hours or so to render the entire environment as an animation, and both times I tried to render it I encountered problems. I'm going to try again soon, but it's a lengthy process. Just editing the damn thing causes major slowdown every few minutes. In the meantime I decided to toy around with representing the "Shores of Hell" intermission screen, which will have a slightly reduced polygon count to make the final rendering quicker. So far I've just made a very plain version of "Spawning Vats," which was actually quite a challenge. I don't normally work with spherical shapes and this one has a weird section in the middle of it that was fun modeling. I plan to periodically update this, much like the original, and hopefully at some point you will see a 3D flyby of both. Then it's on to "Inferno," maybe even "Thy Flesh Consumed" and eventually Doom 2.

Fraggle, thanks for digging up that old link. To answer your question, DoomHero85, yes, they should line up like teeth, and they definitely will when the model is finished. I'm trying to think of additional details to add. If you look at the original image...

...there's not much more I can do to the main structure other than add some decorative stuff to make it look less simplistic, like grooves or recesses around the dome. Perhaps a good texture will make it stand out more. There's weird stuff bubbling out out of it, possibly fire or lava. That will be difficult to model.

By the way, in order to fulfill DoomHero85's request, I'll have to start over, but it didn't take too long and I think it's a good idea.

This could have a lot of cool applications. Can you say custom skyboxes for every level?

Bucket said:

This could have a lot of cool applications. Can you say custom skyboxes for every level?

Really cool idea actually.

See? It didn't take long. Now, truthfully speaking, this won't close right. I'd have to warp the geometry to do that. But it looks cool and you can imagine it having the ability to close like teeth.

What is that object anyway? I've always pictured it as some kind of reactor, or refinery. The map doesn't really portray something that has exploded, either.

It seems like a weird transitional building, like something that was once a normal UAC facility, that has been "perverted" by demonic activity.

Truth be told, I've paid zero attention to the intermission screens. As soon as I figured that they didn't at all represent the level geometry, I stopped caring.

The good news is that many of the structures on Deimos appear to be the same as the ones on Phobos, which could save you a bit of work if you make modified versions of your existing models. Deimos Anomaly and Phobos Anomaly are exactly the same. Containment Area and Command Control appear to be the same buildings except shown from a different angle (and it appears Containment Area has two towers instead of one) and Phobos Lab and Deimos Lab are the same as well, except Phobos Lab is elevated due to the geographic conditions.

Considering I'm much more experienced with Sketchup now, I'd rather do them all from scratch, even the ones based on some of E1's structures. There's too many polygons in some of the E1 models I did anyway.

Spawning Vats with more detail. There are tiny airlocks that are barely visible at the bottom, making it apparent how huge the overall structure is.

Always thought the Spawning Vats resembled more of a volcano to me rather than some superstructure with teeth.

Aldaraia said:

Always thought the Spawning Vats resembled more of a volcano to me rather than some superstructure with teeth.

Don't you think it looks a tad too dome-shaped to be a volcano?

Aldaraia said:

I always assumed the lava-like glow was coming from the "vats" themselves (presumably a series in the middle of the structure, hidden from view).

I was originally under the impression that Spawning Vats was supposed to be either a complete dome structure like an observatory which further seperated in two from some sort of demonicly created volcano/moonquake.

So I've been obsessing with Command Control (E2M5). I really didn't like the top structures and after a third attempt, I really like what I came up with. It more closely matches what I originally saw in my head.