Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

No more movies from George Lucas

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/9023370/George-Lucas-retires-from-making-blockbusters.html

Probably a good thing.

EDIT: http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2012/01/18/george-lucas-defends-changes-to-star-wars-films-says-hes-retiring-from-hollywood

"On the internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change [that's] completely changing the movie. I'm saying: 'Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.'

"Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

I've often wondered whether he watched the Plinkett reviews.

Thank goth... there's only so many screen wipes I can watch in a lifetime. Now he can go full time monitoring the Star Wars franchise.

You know Star wars hasn't been made with dogs yet. It would be a big hit.

I bet George is right up SOPA's ass. Now he can have those pesky, hateful, critiques of his perfect films removed once and for all.

New changes will include replaces puppet Yoda with a fully CG one in The Phantom Menace

Sometimes I seriously wonder if Lucas is engaged in an elaborate, years-long troll of the Star Wars community. Everything he does or says has such perfectly weighted stupidity. Still though, I'm kinda glad the prequel trilogies exist, as without them we wouldn't have the Plinkett reviews. It's the ultimate irony really, such is their brilliance that their reflected glory validates the existence of the very thing they denigrate.

The Phantom Retirement.

Seriously, Lucas quickly went from an imaginative mid to a pretty damn lazy person in ever sense of the word. I can't wait for them to re-release the original trilogy - this time, instead of lightsabres, the Jedi will utilize powerful, force-sensitive walkie-talkies!

Heh, funny. I just saw him on The Daily Show a few days ago claiming that he had a prequel and a sequel to Red Tails already planned out.

Xaser said:

Heh, funny. I just saw him on The Daily Show a few days ago claiming that he had a prequel and a sequel to Red Tails already planned out.

The man doesn't know if he's coming or going.

geo said:

Thank goth... there's only so many screen wipes I can watch in a lifetime. Now he can go full time monitoring the Star Wars franchise.

You know Star wars hasn't been made with dogs yet. It would be a big hit.

Mr. T said:

Nonsense Empire edit

That gives me Fallout 3 vibes. :D

I'm glad the prequels exist because they meld perfectly with sloppy Chinese bootlegging:

This story really angers me. Not because Lucas is quitting film making, but because Hollywood refused to support a movie with all black actors. I can't believe that in modern times, Hollywood execs would be like this.

Well, Red Tails is bombing. The reviews pretty much bring up the same issues as the PT: bad acting, hokey dialogue, and an over abundance of digital effects, etc.

Take from that what you will.

Sodaholic said:

This story really angers me. Not because Lucas is quitting film making, but because Hollywood refused to support a movie with all black actors. I can't believe that in modern times, Hollywood execs would be like this.

I wouldn't rule our racism, but the fact the film was released in January suggests studios seen this film as the bomb it's turning out to be.

We'll see when the box office figures are tallied up.

Sodaholic said:

Number of black people first appearing in...

Star Wars: 1 (voice of the main villain)
Empire Strikes Back: 1 (man who betrays Han to the empire)
Return of the Jedi: 0
The Phantom Menace: 2
Attack of the Clones: 1 (Most evil bounty hunter in the galaxy)
Revenge of the Sith: 0

George Lucas, friend of black people!

Sodaholic said:

Uh, what? You really thought that one through before you started typing, huh? A-List movies with all-black casts are regularly made and do well at the box office. Remakes often replace a white character with a black one, the Karate Kid remake being the most recent example.

Since black people represent a huge demographic in America, not only would it be prejudiced to exclude them from films, but it also wouldn't make good business sense. Money is usually the driving force behind a movie getting made. If the rest of the entertainment industry has embraced black people(hip-hop, R&B, professional sports, T.V., comic books, video games, etc.), then why on Earth would "Hollywood execs" hold this antiquated view? It's obvious that their business acumen led them to believe that the film was gonna suck and not bring in any money, so that's why they made the decision they made.

I totally understand your custom title now.

Vordakk said:

Uh, what? You really thought that one through before you started typing, huh?

I only skimmed the posted article, and that's the reason it gave for Hollywood to deny funding. Admittedly, I wasn't really paying attention when I posted that.

The article said:

Lucas, 67, said: "I figured if I could get the prints and ads paid for by the studios that they would release it. I showed it to all of them and they said 'No. We don't know how to market a movie like this'.

"It's because it's an all black movie. There's no major white roles in it at all. It's one of the first all black action pictures ever made."

Vordakk said:

I totally understand your custom title now.

I've made far worse posts, that one wasn't really too bad. Not denying that I deserve my custom title though.

Violator said:

Thank God, his only decent work was the first 3 Indiana Jones movies, Star Wars was terrible from the start.

Star Wars (as in, the original trilogy) aren't perfect movies. But to say they're terrible suggests that you haven't seen many genuinely terrible films ;)

DoomUK said:

Star Wars (as in, the original trilogy) aren't perfect movies. But to say they're terrible suggests that you haven't seen many genuinely terrible films ;)

The original trilogy was mediocre - decent for me at best, got bored quickly of watching ponces with colourful swords jumping around and watching laser beams fly around the screen, I digged bad-ass shit like Evil Dead when I was a kid.

I thought the original Starwars series was awesome.

But yeah, George has been shitting on his legacy for a long time, so I think it's for his own good that he quits.

Violator said:

I digged bad-ass shit like Evil Dead when I was a kid.

So did I. I watched movies like Evil Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Aliens, RoboCop, Predator, Terminator, Commando, Mad Max etc constantly as a kid. Star Wars was some weird fantasy thing with funny looking monsters and space ships that my friends loved for some reason.

I developed a little oddly; it wasn't until I was in my late teens that I started to appreciate the beauty of Star Wars, and I fell in love with it and have been a "believer" ever since.

DoomUK said:

I developed a little oddly; it wasn't until I was in my late teens that I started to appreciate the beauty of Star Wars, and I fell in love with it and have been a "believer" ever since.

Cool man I sound a bit blunt when I bash shit and it's your opinion, guess I didn't quite catch onto Star Wars myself, yeah those movies all fucking rule which you listed there.

So about the refridgerator survival story from Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull... I'm still sure that Indie would have gotten scrambled and bones broken even if he didn't melt. Like just have a car crash off a 40 ft tall bridge, because that fridge flew up far then down.

I saw that movie on a date and after 20 minutes then the fridge, my date who is a real life archeologiest with a degree said she's done watching. I was done too... That was the final moment of the movie for me.

Then I rented it like a year later thinking well maybe the 2nd watch will be better. I saw it 20 minutes then shut it off... After 2 days I played it from after the fridge mark so it was like a real movie.

I think a 20 minute opening sequence / attention getter is too long. Like you've already climaxed the movie and not gotten attention. Like with the beginning of Rob Zombie's Halloween 2. A 20 minute fight sequence...

Like Family Guy where Peter fights the chicken. He fights the chicken so damn long you forget what the episode is about.

The Telegraph said:

Lucas, 67, said: "I figured if I could get the prints and ads paid for by the studios that they would release it. I showed it to all of them and they said 'No. We don't know how to market a movie like this'.

"It's because it's an all black movie. There's no major white roles in it at all. It's one of the first all black action pictures ever made."

I guess that this is George Lucas' interpretation of the producers' motivations, rather than anything the producers actually said. I was shocked by the apparent racism at first, but, yeah... this is probably just George Lucas being oblivious to the rest of the world again.

Technician said:

I disagree that when a show "jumps the shark" is merely when it goes from good to bad. It's more nuanced than that. A show jumps the shark when it betrays itself, either by adopting an entirely new and inappropriate narrative tone (like when Happy Days became a tension-filled docu-drama about ski-jumping sharks) or when a movie franchise's carefully-measured levels of implausibility are no longer carefully-measured.