Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
foul_owl

Who has made new monsters?

I was wondering if anyone has modified the vanilla or chocolate source (or similar) to add new monsters with new AI to the game. New sprites, the whole deal.

Cheers!

foul_owl said:

... the vanilla or chocolate source ...

Dealing only with the vanilla source, you can substitute existing sprites with custom ones. And with DEHACKED, you can change their behavior as far as the original resources are concerned.

foul_owl said:

... modified the vanilla or chocolate source ...

That would be the source ports, with ZDoom and its siblings using DECORATE, which allows new actors with look and behaviour only limited by your imagination and willingness to create new sprites. Or for that matter 3D models.

eg.: http://www.realm667.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1138&Itemid=261

So those monsters in Realm 667 have new AI behavior as well? They aren't just sprite replacements?

Is it easy to integrate those monsters and anything else using DECORATE into Doom Builder?

Is there a pack of new monsters, new weapons, new props and new textures that has been chosen by the community or a modder and has been accepted as like the next phase of classic doom and has at least one megawad made for it?

Thanks!

Is there a pack of new monsters, new weapons, new props and new textures that has been chosen by the community or a modder and has been accepted as like the next phase of classic doom and has at least one megawad made for it?

There's no consensus that I know of. Kind of a heated topic (monsters/weapons, anyway), especially around here. You'll get people telling you there's no next phase of classic doom and yet others saying using the vanilla weapons or enemies is stupid and shows unwillingness to adapt. There's probably, or so I hope, a silent majority that falls somewhere in between those two extremes but doesn't feel like arguing.

Knee-Deep in ZDoom, ZPack, Ultimate Torment and Torture, Stronghold are megawads (or episodes) that showcase a large amount of custom monsters. Again, you'll get widely varying opinions as to whether these wads are good or not, but what can't be denied is there's been effort put into these, so if nothing else it's a good place to start.

Custom texture use is more widespread, as it works in vanilla out of the box. Here you can pick pretty much any map on the idgames archive and you have one chance out of two or three that it'll contain some custom textures. Some popular texture packs seem to be GOTHICTX and cc4-tex (which itself is a bunch of compiled resources from various sources). There's also the Doomworld Afterglow page with several texture packs.

The most limiting thing with resources tends to be art, specifically graphics. Changing behavior is easy in comparison, especially in ZDoom and derived ports.

foul_owl said:

So those monsters in Realm 667 have new AI behavior as well? They aren't just sprite replacements?

AI behaviour has been adjusted (altered) to some extend, befitting the monster's actions.

foul_owl said:

They aren't just sprite replacements?

That is correct.

foul_owl said:

Is it easy to integrate those monsters and anything else using DECORATE into Doom Builder?

Easy after you have done it a few times. Not so easy the first time around, but not that difficult either.
Integration is done with Slade3.
Insertion is done with Doombuilder2.
There are a few tutorials about this. Check the External links @ http://zdoom.org/wiki/Tutorials

foul_owl said:

Thanks!

Since DECORATE was first introduced by Randy Heit in his ZDoom and by Graf Zahl in his GZDOOM, there has been a very active group doing a lot of replacement wads, some very good and some not so good but educational, in the Projects section of the ZDoom Forum. You should check it out: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewforum.php?f=19
@

Sounds like it's time to look at zdoom! Somewhat relevant: anyone have any problems with zdoom going really slow? (like 0.2 fps...) What's the renderer? I couldn't find a way to change it to OpenGL in the doc. ZdoomGL just doesn't load for me either. Any issues there? Legacy and doomsday both run great.

Thanks to everyone so far!

You didn't mention which version of ZDoom you have downloaded and installed.

FYI,
ZDoom uses a software renderer.
GZDoom uses an OpenGL renderer, but if it finds a videocard not capable to run OpenGL, then it will default to software renderer.

To find the latest versions of either port, go to http://svn.drdteam.org/

foul_owl said:

ZdoomGL just doesn't load for me either.

Wow! You made me double-check the date of your post. ZDoomGL has been dead for a long while.