Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Optimus

Things in the Alpha/Beta previews that you'd like to be in commercial Doom.

I have just finished playing Doom 0.5 remake for Zdoom just out of curiosity. I have to admit that from the doom alphas I haven't thoroughly explored the original Doom 0.5 alpha in the past, just because I thought you wouldn't supposed to open doors and I was just pressing Space instead of Alt (as I see now). So, my first opportunity to thoroughly explore these levels was with the Zdoom remake.

Things I liked. Some weapons. I like the rifle with melee knife (is it called bayonette or something?). Though someone would say, it's a riffle that doesn't fire, just melle? Why not a simple knife? Anyway they changed with punch which is not so extraordinary.
Also, number 4, the machine gun, much better graphics and a little faster here.

One thing though. Level 9: E1M6: Central Processing

I loved that symmetrical structure that they wiped out from the final? Why??? This looks sooo good, it could also be even perfect for deathmatch I think. This is the only level from the alphas that truly surprised me more than the final version. Wow!

Treasures and score in the alphas? Like wolfenstein bonuses. I don't know..

I liked the idea of scores and hell treasures being in Doom and they would've added to the gameplay, it's quite a shame that they didn't add them.

Avoozl said:

I liked the idea of scores and hell treasures being in Doom and they would've added to the gameplay, it's quite a shame that they didn't add them.

There are scores in Doom.

kristus said:

There are scores in Doom.

I meant like the score system used in wolf3d which also displays in the menu other than the completion stats after finishing a map.

The assault rifle graphics. I think there are two versions, one light-coloured, another darker-coloured (same shade as the Shotgun). I find it cooler to use an assault rifle instead of a pistol, and a Quake2-like killer chaingun for slot 4.

From the MBF emulated beta: the satanic treasure graphics. I really liked them, but I'd prefer to use them more as Hexen-esque token items necessary to advance the plot (or just for finding secrets).

A scoring system would work well if you collect points to buy lives. But endgame ranking is useless, unless you really compete with other players and is cheat-proof.

Avoozl said:

I meant like the score system used in wolf3d which also displays in the menu other than the completion stats after finishing a map.

So, maybe you'd like ScoreDoom?

-More than 9 levels per episode
-Machine gun (because the chaingun probably would have been faster if the machine gun fired at the current chainguns rate)
-Ejecting shell cases
-Lives system, but only if you could modify the number of lives in the options or even a dehacked patch.
-Full Rotations for the player sprite
-Flying Imps talked about in the Doom Bible. Doom's lacking in flying monsters.
-Thing decorations such as dangling wires, Tables, Cranes, etc.
-Sounds for bullets making contact, and footstep sounds, (preferably with splashing sounds for liquids as well)
-Recoil for weapons (only if it was done the way Doom64 did)

Gez said:

I liked the idea of a sandwich serving as a key...

You need SANDWICH to use this VCR.

Also, the old e1m6 central structure looked cool on the automap but was terrible for the map's layout and didn't really look like much ingame. Eliminating it allowed the rest of the map areas to be packed together and arranged in a way that's still sprawling, but sprawling because of actual content rather than because there's a ton of empty space and disconnect between every area.

A score system and treasure like Wolf's might have been nice.

Other than that, yes, some of the damaged item sprites and so on might have been nice.

IMO the Alpha HUD is cool but takes up too much screen space.

The infamous 32K color mode, but properly implemented (not at the expense of horizontal resolution, like in the Alpha), although that would probably complicate the .exe quite a bit with drivers and non-portable libraries. If that mode was actually adopted, palette effects might have never been introduced in the first place.

Optimus said:

One thing though. Level 9: E1M6: Central Processing

I loved that symmetrical structure that they wiped out from the final? Why??? This looks sooo good, it could also be even perfect for deathmatch I think. This is the only level from the alphas that truly surprised me more than the final version. Wow!

I worked on merging this map with the things from the final for Quasar's Doom 0.8 project and I can tell you one reason is that it just doesn't flow well at all. Even with objectives and enemies you just kind of run around the "wheel" until you find the next door you need to go through. It just doesn't have the same feel as Romero's maps usually do, and the wheel section itself is boring and repetitive.

I would've liked more of the alpha detail sprites to make it in. The chairs, broken cables, warning lights, etc.

Dragonsbrethren said:

I would've liked more of the alpha detail sprites to make it in. The chairs, broken cables, warning lights, etc.

ZDoom. Mods.

esselfortium said:

You need SANDWICH to use this VCR.

This glorious vision is going to be reality one day:

(Skip to 3:48)

How does it make sense? Don't ask me.

Marnetmar said:

I think this level could've become something pretty good even though it was a total mess in 0.4

You mean E5M4? :P

Post-DTWID, I do wonder how a less-strange remake of the map would be, though. In the end, I'd just end up remixing Caroll St. to make it not as detail-heavy n' void-y, since working from the original again would take a load of adding new structures to areas.

Optimus said:

This looks sooo good, it could also be even perfect for deathmatch I think.

Actually, large circular structures around a small central hub tend not to work very well for deathmatch. I definitely agree that it was a cool area though.

Mechadon said:

There definitely needed to be more Rolleeâ„¢ chairs. Preferrably exploding ones.

[derp]http://mekworx.phenomer.net/mekastuff/pics/misc/ExplodingAlphaDoomOfficeChairs.gif[/derp]

I see your explodee chair and raise you a chair panel (which I made for my old project Mapgame) :P

Urban Space Cowboy said:

If you mean the list in the lower right, you do realize that's a list of abbreviated weapon names and ammo, right?

"JULES SUCKS"
"TOM IS KING"
etc.

It's like the game itself is mocking or praising you. Now that's the kind of deathmatch I want to play. :D

40oz said:

-Sounds for bullets making contact, and footstep sounds, (preferably with splashing sounds for liquids as well)

That was listed as a "maybe" feature in the Doom Bible, and I don't think they took it too seriously, considering the limited number of sound channels, plus the fact that only players would make those sounds (unless they wanted to take up even more sound channels to use for the monsters), and that they would interrupt gunfire sounds.

40oz said:

-Recoil for weapons (only if it was done the way Doom64 did)

I think that in the Doom Bible by "recoil", Tom was probably referring to weapon delay. But who knows.

Heretic has recoil, so I see no problem with a heavy weapon affecting player's stability.

The full 8 rotations for the player walking/shooting/injured sprites.

- A really usefull starting weapon like the Rifle instead the pistol
- Ejecting brasses
- Semi-realistic architeture with stuff like lockers, benches, some realistic decorative actors, etc.
- The Demon General

Wow, after looking at the beta version for map E1M6, it makes the version of E1M6 we have now look worse (even though it was still good).