Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Killamangiro91

Megaupload is down D:

Killamangiro91 said:

MEGAUPLOAD has been shut down by the feds.

The scary part about all this. America has the power to bully companies that are not even American.

Good, I hope the world mops the floor with them. Of course, America will just rage over this and start arresting innocent people suspected of "terrorism".

EDIT: Spelling.

Killamangiro91 said:

MEGAUPLOAD has been shut down by the feds.

Shit, my wads were on there! They have ripped stuff in them! Shit! SHIIIIT!

Still, nice to see Anonymous put one on 'em. Again.

scalliano said:

Shit, my wads were on there! They have ripped stuff in them! Shit! SHIIIIT!

It's your fault! :p

As satisfying as it is to see this happen to the department of justice, I can only see this move do nothing but give the impression to the masses that all opponents of SOPA are hacker assholes defending piracy. Obviously untrue, but that's the message that will probably be sent out.

What is depressing about this is the amount (ie the vast majority) of people who were using MU for perfectly legitimate means. RS and MF will no doubt be next. If you want to host stuff, time to buy your own webspace.

Yeah, we're talking about it in the other SOPA thread. I hope they don't crack-down on IPs found in transfer logs. They might just do that to set an example by suing some punk college kids for downloading music, or anime, or some dumb shit.

scalliano said:

What is depressing about this is the amount (ie the vast majority) of people who were using MU for perfectly legitimate means. RS and MF will no doubt be next. If you want to host stuff, time to buy your own webspace.

Damn yeah that's true I've been using megaupload to store some btsx maps, as well as to share a few holiday photos with acquaintances.

I'm glad to hear that the US government was hacked, who the hell does America think they are?

Technician said:

(not just third world shit-holes)

Countries like Iran only became a shit hole when America started interfering there.

So had the feds physically shut them down, or just removed them from the DSN? Can anyone here access them with a proxy?

Satyr000 said:

You have got to be fucking kidding me. Oh, wait this is Fox News. Nevermind.

Yeah, I wouldn't take it seriously, but insanity such as this is becoming truth these days.

scalliano said:

If you want to host stuff, time to buy your own webspace.

Already done that, though most web hosts (especially those offering "unlimited" storage and bandwidth) don't like seeing their shared servers used as file repositories. If I had a faster connection I'd host stuff on my home network.

hardcore_gamer said:

To be honest, Megaupload did commit a shitload of copyright offences.

Alleged copyright offences.

GreyGhost said:

Alleged copyright offences.

And very real copyright offences.

People act as if NOBODY commits any acts of copyright offences simply because the corps like to abuse copyright laws.

I know you Americans don't have that law, but on the basis of "innocent until proven guilty" us Aussies legally have to prepend "alleged" to stuff like that until they're found guilty.

It's a good habit to get in to if you claim even for one second to honour the law and want justice.

GooberMan said:

I know you Americans don't have that law, but on the basis of "innocent until proven guilty" us Aussies legally have to prepend "alleged" to stuff like that until they're found guilty.

It's a good habit to get in to if you claim even for one second to honour the law and want justice.

Well of course.

But megaupload did host a lot of files that were in violation of copyrights. Whether they were intentional or not is another thing... They seemed fairly good about stripping illegal stuff from their network.

We'll see what happens in court I guess.

So does Youtube. The question here is whether they've violated the DCMA or any other law they're accused of violating.

As such, it's alleged until proven in a court of law.

The "alleged" clause applies to everything down here. A gunman that kills someone can only be alleged to have committed murder or manslaughter until a jury makes a decision, for example.

Technician said:

So had the feds physically shut them down, or just removed them from the DSN? Can anyone here access them with a proxy?

Yeah, I wouldn't take it seriously, but insanity such as this is becoming truth these days.

Yea, its getting real crazy. Given all the news coming out about this it looks like this is been in the works for a while. They did pick one hell of a day to stage this tho. Right after the blackout protesting sopa.

I was asking myself recently, "How much longer will we be able to take advantage of this free ride?" It looks like this will be the year that answers that question.

Mr. T said:

109.236.83.66 < lol

*edits hosts file*

This kind of thing is going to boost the presence of IT companies in Canada methinks. Well, this is assuming our idiot farmer types don't keep electing the conservatives -- aka. wannabe Americans.

GoatLord said:

I was asking myself recently, "How much longer will we be able to take advantage of this free ride?"

Until December 21st. ;-)