Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

An interesting Doom wad idea.

Easy. Make one set of stairs and past them on the right level. It'd be tedious, but doable. I've made many Egyptian and Aztec-themed maps, but once I've finished some architecture, I found I wasn't able to set any game play to them.

Looks like the ideal application for stuff like WadC.

Without fences and railings, that place is quite unnerving in real life. In Doom, the player never gets tired and falling damage is weak, at most. It would probably make an interesting multilayered scenario, but the player (the one in front of the monitor) would beg for an elevator or other means when combat ends.

Also it would be interesting if each stair /\ arrangement had a door leading to a small boutique, like in Baldur's Gate 2 Waukeen's Promenade, of which all this structure reminds me.

Make it large enough to have a spiderdemon on each step, and you SUNDER.WAD MAP30. :p

Gez said:

Make it large enough to have a spiderdemon on each step, and you SUNDER.WAD MAP30. :p

Would that even fit in the Doom space?

Daaamn, I like this. Why didn't I ever make a dm map of this? I made something kind of similar once (tons of stairs) but it didn't come out very good. This looks like it would work well.

Hellbent said:

Daaamn, I like this. Why didn't I ever make a dm map of this?

Agreed, this would make a great DM map! :)

...that is, if somebody takes the time, effort, and patience to do it. ;)

HavoX said:

Agreed, this would make a great DM map! :)

...that is, if somebody takes the time, effort, and patience to do it. ;)

working on it....

Hellbent said:

working on it....

Awww, I was hoping I'd be the only one...

(Yeah I know the textures look dumb, but the structure wasn't obvious with the textures I'm working with right now anyway. They will be changed.)

heh, cool :) It's a bit large scale for DM, or are you just building it for looks? Although I suppose with 16-32 people it could be really cool.

EDIT: After playtesting mine a bit, I'm wondering if the flat walk ways should be 128 in width. hmmmmmm. Also, my level may or may not want a grenade launcher...

Hellbent said:

heh, cool :) It's a bit large scale for DM, or are you just building it for looks? Although I suppose with 16-32 people it could be really cool.

EDIT: After playtesting mine a bit, I'm wondering if the flat walk ways should be 128 in width. hmmmmmm. Also, my level may or may not want a grenade launcher...

I was worried it was a little too big. Would you mind posting a screenshot of yours so I can see how much I should scale it down?

my doom laptop doesn't have internet so I will have to copy onto my mac-laptop when at work and then post screenies. I'm actually done with my map. It's ready for DM. I'll upload it tomorrow.

I'm going stair crazy!

(1440x900 - 139k)

Still lots to do and I'm trying to keep it close to real world proportions - so it probably won't be much fun to play.

Still lots to do and I'm trying to keep it close to real world proportions - so it probably won't be much fun to play.

In a port with full mouselook, no autoaim and finitely tall actors, there could be ways to make it interesting.

Technician said:

I've made many Egyptian and Aztec-themed maps, but once I've finished some architecture, I found I wasn't able to set any game play to them.

please release :(

General Rainbow Bacon said:

a metric ton of monsters would only be like 10, 15 imps tops.

I'd prefer a metric ton of pain elementals. :P

Auurrgghhhh. Fine, make it a metric fuckton instead. Of demons.

Let's DeHack 'em a radius of 4, and give em some DROPOFF while we're at it, and set fast monsters. Then put the player in there on a key or switch hunt or something. I think that would make for quite an amusing speedrun scenario.

TimeOfDeath said:

This would make a good community project. Find a picture of something in real life and remake it in Doom.

"DoomCAD - the megawad", I'd be in that.

The steps are nearly done and I'm starting on a rough outline of the bathhouse. None of the texture choices are final but for now I'll apologize for all of the brown.

(1440x900 - 432k)

I was thinking about starting a thread about this very topic after reading about step wells in National Geographic. Glad to see someone else beat me to it. :)

I'd love to see more unique or unusual architecture make it into a Doom map, even if it wouldn't make for very good gameplay.